Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criteria for hiring a babysitter?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Baba is 9 and a half months old now and we've still not had a night out together. I need a night out. I may doze off by 10 but I am adamant that I need to get out of this house or I will go mad soon. Himself isn't really that bothered, but that's fellas for you!

What age group would ye expect to be able to babysit a 9.5mth old? Having said that she goes down at 7 and you don't hear from her again till 7am (unless she gets a rare urge to sing at 4am which quickly passes by 4.15!!!!). My main worry would be that they would be getting busy or drunk with their boyfriend on my couch..... Gosh I feel like my father suddenly!

I was a ferocious goody-two shoes when I babysat at 14/15/16 (Which made me popular) but goodness know I had some awful brats that wouldn't go to bed at all, some that threw furniture at me!!, and some lovely little angels that I stared at asleep in their cots and genuinely hated having to leave after me when I went home at night.

I suppose I'm looking for a 16yr old without a boyfriend who doesn't smoke or drink, and is happy enough to watch a stack of dvds and eat a kitchen-full of the junk-food I will provide while they keep an ear cocked to the baby monitor for anything unusual.

And another thing... Do ye clean out the bedside cabinets before the babysitter arrives just in case they get nosey and if so where do ye hide your um..... stuff?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

You're best bet IMO is going with someone you know, maybe a niece or nephew or maybe a neighbour you trust. Or a teenager you know well that has younger siblings and knows how to look after them.

I babysit alot, I'm 19 and most of my friends do it too. None of us would ever consider bringing guys around. It wouldn't even cross our minds, seriously.

As far as the getting drunk part goes that's also a no no. I don't think anyone would find it fun getting drunk by themselves in someone elses house while watching a film. Certainly no one I know anyway.

I think anyone would be happy to sit with a stack of dvds and some junk food and keeping an ear out for the little one, that's what you're paying them for after all.

Maybe try a few out first, see who you're happy with.

You should get someone mature enough to know what to do if something goes wrong. I definitly think that with a baby you need someome at least 18+. I work with teenagers and I know that they are very easilt distracted by their mobile phone or friends ringing them, so an older person would be more attentive. I think its best if you already know the babysitter as you will know her personality and if she knows you she will want to do a good job to please you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Vero

I'm babysitting a lot too...I'd say that if you have a baby, you should get someone who has experience with minding babies, because in my experience it's harder to mind babies (when they're crying, they don't tell you why and stuff like that...)
    and if you found a babysitter, maybe come home earlier than you said, on the first babysitting night to check on her/him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

With a baby that young, I reckon you'd be better to try and get someone age 18+, it's amazing the difference in maturity between a 16 year old and an 18 year old! Even if, as you said, the baby is unlikely to wake up, you need the peace of mind that the babysitter could cope with anything that might happen. Also, an 18 year old is more likely to have their own independence, so wouldn't feel the need to take advantage of a "free house" by smoking/drinking/etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You can get mature 16 year olds and immature 18 year olds. Age is not a criterion. My babysitter is just gone 19 - she's been babysitting for us since she was 16 (when the kids were 2) and she's excellent: we trust her completely.

My advice is to ask neighbours who they use - you might have to compete with them for availablilty but you can't beat a recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Having some basic first aid is always a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 babysitter

if your still looking for a babysitter, im 16 no boyfriend and dont drink or smoke:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

Get someone who's done a Baby Sitting course. Then you'll be reassured they will presumely be up to the job - with the knowledge to keep Baby and themselves safe - as well as police clearence.

Someone just told me these requirements are not mandatory in Ireland?

Advertisement