Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next manager for the chop?

• 26-01-2009 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

I've gone for Adams. Results aren't going well for him at all atm, and will be under more pressure after being knocked out of the cup.

Who? 59 votes

Adams
    0% 0 votes
    Southgate
    59% 35 votes
    Scolari
    18% 11 votes
    Hughes
    3% 2 votes
    Mowbray
    16% 10 votes
    Other
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Or Southgate. Boro in freefall.

A team like Boro should get in Alan Curbishley.
    He's going to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Gibson usually gives managers alot of time so Ithink that could save Southgate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Did they not install Adams because he was the cheap option? Can't see them getting rid of him and paying out the remainder of his contract if that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Gibson usually gives managers alot of time so Ithink that could save Southgate.

He does in fairness but they are in danger of relegation and he can't mess around.

I think this quote is perfect for what alan curbishley is about:
    "I'm a Premier League manager for the past 10 years and want to stay working in the Premier League.

"People think boring, mid-table Alan Curbishley's teams finish 10th and seem to look down their noses at that.

"But looking at the table one or two clubs would be grateful to be in that position."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did they not install Adams because he was the cheap option? Can't see them getting rid of him and paying out the remainder of his contract if that is the case.

Not really the cheap option if they go down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Joe Kinnear warrants a place in this pole, if not for sacking maybe to walk. Nothing seems to be going right at Newcastle and if Given and Owen go, then I can see any self respecting manager walking out rather than face the prospect of low morale among the players and fans and the realistic prospect of relegation.

However Portsmouth are in free fall, and as much as I respect Tony Adams for what he did as a player and his abilities as an assistant manager, I just don't think he has what it takes as a manager of a club.

I have never been convinced of Gareth Southgate either, but Gibson is well known for holding on to Managers too long and so, I think he gets much more time than most clubs would give a manager in a similar predicament.

I think that both Scolari and Hughes will be alright, they both have work to do, but I'd be very surprised if either is gone before seasons end.

So based on that I'd have to put Adams at the top of my list and Kinnear just behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Wasn't Kinnear just offered a new contract though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Wasn't Kinnear just offered a new contract though?

Kinnear was the one who broke the news though :) Ashley doesn't talk to the media anymore, and the clubs PR officer never mentioned it.

Portsmouth are in trouble, but Adams is there because of financial worries, that is also why they are cashing in on players. Rumours are Feynoord would take him tomorrow so it's an interesting one.

Hughes will be gone in the summer for sure.

I think Boro will stick with Southgate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

In terms of sheer underperformance i would have thought Sparky's the best candidate. but for some reason i have a feeling he'll end up being there til the start of the summer, primarily because i can't see a manager good enough to match their ambitions who'd be willing to join them midseason.

so that really leaves Adams and Southgate for me. I think Portsmouth have made it clear they haven't the money to hire someone decent, so i think they'll stick with Adams until it's too late (anyone who has followed his career since the end of his playing days will tell you he simply isn't the managergial type, so it made no sense they took him on in the first place unless money was the main mover)

so that leaves Southgate for me. He's gone nowhere with Boro, and has already been given more than his fair chance at the helm by Gibson. so i'll go with SOuthgate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ziggy wrote: »

God I wish he would. Give us Curbishley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If spurs keep going the way theyre going... ah cant see Harry gettin the chop.

Adams or Hughes for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Adams for sure. He's comes across as a right dockey to the media also. They'll hang him out to dry if the Portmouth supporters don't do it first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Where's Benitez on that list??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

If it were to go by performance I'd probably say Adams but I don't think he will be the first to go out of that lot. He has the air of someone who doesn't know who, what, when or where he is though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'd say Benitez will be the next to go, I hear he's cracking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,922 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I wonder if agent Redknapp is at work again, take Tottenham to the championship, rejoin Portsmouth and buy Defoe back for a song (along with the couple of other half decent players Tottenham have).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭faulk28

I hear he's cracking up.
    Where did ya hear that? Sounds a bit like slander to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

rgiller wrote: »
    Where's Benitez on that list??

I was just about to ask the same thing myself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

****ing laughable the people saying Benitez :) have ye seen the league table by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ****ing laughable the people saying Benitez :) have ye seen the league table by any chance?

Benitez

It's all relative..... Liverpool expect him to win the league...

Portsmouth expect Adams to keep them up or get a uefa cup spot for example. Both failing to manage their task is failure according to expectations set by their board...

Liverpool expect him to challenge for the league....he is doing just that.

Liverpool expect him to challenge for the league....he is doing just that.

for the first time in 5 years... fair enough he was building his own squad in this time, but 5 years later and this is the first challenge and its not even a challenge at that... Other clubs are slipping up and Liverpool are not taking advantage of it.

How long has he realistically got?

for the first time in 5 years... fair enough he was building his own squad in this time, but 5 years later and this is the first challenge and its not even a challenge at that... Other clubs are slipping up and Liverpool are not taking advantage of it.

How long has he realistically got?

its not even a challenge? wat constitutes a challenge? being top until jan? a point off the leader at the min? not a challenge? if we stay there or there abouts, its a hell of a challenge.

get a grip of yourself lad.

its not even a challenge? wat constitutes a challenge? being top until jan? a point off the leader at the min? not a challenge? if we stay there or there abouts, its a hell of a challenge.

get a grip of yourself lad.

c'mon... even you have to admit that Liverpool screwed up a very good chance to be 10 or so points clear of Man Utd and Chelsea by all those draws against teams that they should have beaten.

Being as bad as the rest isn't a challenge...

yea, cause i expected Liverpool to run away at the top of the league & be at least 10 points clear by now.

i'm very reasonable :rolleyes:

yea, cause i expected Liverpool to run away at the top of the league & be at least 10 points clear by now.

i'm very reasonable :rolleyes:

It's not about what you expected... It's about what actually happened on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I couldn't choose between Adams and Southgate. Southgate seems to get a lot of "up and coming young manager" talk, but I can never tell how Boro are doing they always seem to be in the same place. Adams hasn't had as long and is probably still learning his trade - not that cuts much slack with Premier League chairmen these days.

ok, so i'll reiterate, on the pitch, we are mounting a title challenge currently, going through a blip at the minute now, no doubt, but i think we can stay in touch & press on after we come out of it.

and to reiterate again, to say Rafa should be getting the sack is laughable.

Tom65 wrote: »
    I couldn't choose between Adams and Southgate. Southgate seems to get a lot of "up and coming young manager" talk, but I can never tell how Boro are doing they always seem to be in the same place. Adams hasn't had as long and is probably still learning his trade - not that cuts much slack with Premier League chairmen these days.

yeah, these young managers need to be given a chance to prove themselves. When a club hires them, they know they are far from the finished article in terms of management ability. If they fire them after a season, then its not really fair on the manager. It's good to see that Southgate is being given the time to progress the team and his own management experience.

Boro don't have the cash to splash out on expensive and experienced managers. They are banking on youth with a mix of experience in their team... and their chairman isn't setting them big goals such as European qualification etc.

One thing I'm glad about is that Moyes was given the time to progress at Everton. 7 years in and consistency is proving good for Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

and to reiterate again, to say Rafa should be getting the sack is laughable.

He could go for other reasons.
    Boro don't have the cash to splash out on expensive and experienced managers

I think Boro could well afford an expensive experienced manager, managers are relatively cheap compared to players, and if the manager is the difference between the Prem and the Championship it is a worthwhile investment.

Boggles wrote: »
    I think Boro could well afford an expensive experienced manager, managers are relatively cheap comparted to players, and if the manager is the difference between the Prem and the Championship it is a worthwhile investment.

They are not as cheap as you would think... Some of the top managers are on decent money. Moyes is reported to be on £3 Million per year... £60,000 per week...

I'm sure some of the top4 clubs are higher...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They are not as cheap as you would think... Some of the top managers are on decent money. Moyes is reported to be on £3 Million per year... £60,000 per week...

I'm sure some of the top4 clubs are higher...

Some of them are dearer than that, but managers like Curbishley and Big Sam will keep a team like Boro in the premiership for ever, now if it is true what you said and the chairman puts no pressure on Southgate to achieve, then getting a manager in that will guarantee just the 30 million tv money would be a good investment, if you think about the cost of that manager been only 10% of that revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

faulk28 wrote: »
    Where did ya hear that? Sounds a bit like slander to me.

Slander. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I voted for Adams but would love to see Southgate go. Hes an awful manager who hasn't a clue and is going to get us relegated if Gibson doesn't grow some balls. When he took over he said he would have us back in Europe in 3 years and he would play attractive football. This is his 3rd season and we are in the relegation zone and have scored the least amount of goals in the Prem and play boring, boring football. I was never a fan of McClaren and was delighted to see him leave but right now I would give anything to have him back instead of that greasy muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

glenjamin wrote: »
    I voted for Adams but would love to see Southgate go. Hes an awful manager who hasn't a clue and is going to get us relegated if Gibson doesn't grow some balls. When he took over he said he would have us back in Europe in 3 years and he would play attractive football. This is his 3rd season and we are in the relegation zone and have scored the least amount of goals in the Prem and play boring, boring football. I was never a fan of McClaren and was delighted to see him leave but right now I would give anything to have him back instead of that greasy muppet.

Agreed. Boro slipping out of the league slowly and Southgate needs to go. Although he did get the boards dreaded vote of confidence today which was pleasing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It simply has to be Hughes. He has made Man City into the richest joke in Europe and let Robinho go to Brazil whenever the fcuk he wants.

HE'S A JOKE :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

newblue08 wrote: »
    Agreed. Boro slipping out of the league slowly and Southgate needs to go. Although he did get the boards dreaded vote of confidence today which was pleasing for me.

Another 'Boro fan?

• Advertisement
Advertisement