Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The MSAP test.

Options
  • 26-01-2009 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I've applied to sit the MSAP test on the 14th February. It states that once I've applied I'll be e-mailed a ticket with a number on it for the test. I haven't received this yet. Has anyone else received theirs or will we get them in time for the test.
    Also just wondering has anyone else experience of this test, I get the feeling it's just basic common sense questions, is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ruriod

hi.

i applied on jan 20th and got 2 reply emails pretty much immediately, from : MSAP,
    subject of the 1st : 'MSAP Online Registration',
    and the 2nd : 'ACER Online Payment Centre Receipt #...'

this is the 1st yr they're being held for mature students in ireland. for sample questions go to ...
    http://www.msap.acer.edu.au/
    ...and from there choose 'Preparation' and you will be given sample questions for each of the half hour essay type questions (of which you have to do 2 on the day, the first some kind of debate and the second a personal statement of some kind) and also a list of some sample multiple choice questions for the second hour part of the exam

good luck and maybe c u der - i'll b d one wid d sweaty palms 8D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Thanks Ruriod :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Nic'name

Does anyone have any idea of the location of the Cork test center? I have only received an invoice and a "registration is complete" email. Do I need anything else?

Nick you should have received an e-mail with a ticket on it that you print out. It says you won't be admitted without it. This ticket has your exam number on it.
    You also need a passport, or drivers license as proof of id.
    The test centre is in Blackpool Cork, in the Neptune Centre. Its on at 2.30 you have to be there at 2pm at the latest.
    Check your e-mail again also check your junk mail just in case it got put in there. If its not there check the MSAP website if there's a phone number you could ring.
    Hope everything works out for you.:)

Hey cheers, they sent it out to me again, hope ye all got on great

• Advertisement

did you not get it in time to sit the test?

Me? I did ya, I was a late applicant (applied the night before), hadn't even heard of the test until CAO informed me! Can't believe I didn't know about it silly me, I'm usually on top of these things, a well better late than never eh? What did ye think of it? I was so happy with the media questions!

Yeah the topics for the esays I found fine, got them done no bother.
    The second half of the test I found there were too many questions for such a short time.

what did you think of the 'Australian' section, I thought that was a load of **##""%*. I could have answered everyone of the questions correctly I just found the time to read the passages and then find the right answer was too much in the short time, so towards the end I just marked boxes just so as they wouldn't be blank.
    I'm wondering now if entry to college is just based on this test or is it also based on past education etc? I believe the college doesn't even mark the papers just receives the results. I'm not holiding out too much hope anyway :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eliza Lynch

Hi Guys,
    Just a quick question, my better half has booked for the test too although I don't think he is sitting it for another week.
    I can see that you did the test last year and I am wondering if you can give me any tips for him? Also how did ye get on? iS it just essays and what prep did you feel was most relevant?
    I am glad you posted the address as i am not sure he has it and was there any way to contact the MSAP ppl?
    loads of questions I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Hi Guys,
    Just a quick question, my better half has booked for the test too although I don't think he is sitting it for another week.
    I can see that you did the test last year and I am wondering if you can give me any tips for him? Also how did ye get on? iS it just essays and what prep did you feel was most relevant?
    I am glad you posted the address as i am not sure he has it and was there any way to contact the MSAP ppl?
    loads of questions I know!

I'm doing it myself next week! You can download sample questions on the website and this will give him an idea of the type of questions that will be asked. http://msap.acer.edu.au/preparation. Its not just essays, the first 2 questions are essays, then there are multiple choice questions-"reasoning in the humanities and social sciences" I am currently doing a course in a college of further education, and we had a workshop for the MSAP. We were told to practice the sample questions, and all the essays before the exam. Its not something you can study for persay, but you have to train your brain to be able to read and understand the pieces that the questions are on, and then answer the questions. We were told read the pieces, read the questions, then re-read the piece again and then answer the question. The reason they brought this exam in was becaues of the large amount of research and reading that has to be done in any of the humanities or social sciences.

For Arts, I think selection is only based on the MSAP results, but for other subjects personal statement and interview are also taken into account.

Edit-Also would love to hear from people who did it last year and anyone else doing it this year, posted on a couple of sites and this one and there seems to be no-one out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 buzzer21

I'm doing it in Galway next Saturday.
    BTW, does anyone have a copy of the sample questions book that they don't need? After looking at the online sample questions, the test's not as simple as I expected. :eek:

Thank you for the response, yeah This was the only place I could find anyone discussing it too.
    Best of luck and thank you for the help. Maybe you and mt BF will be in the same class in sept!

Buzzer 21- look at the link posted above, we downloaded an printed the example paper and the answers were at the end.
    its just a case of going over I think? and showing a level of understanding?
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 farfromthegrave

Sitting MSAP in Dublin tomorrow! Very nervous, think I'm more worried about the essays than the multiple choice! Fingers crossed though :)

Hope Ye all did ok guys,
    Just a quick question, do you know when the results are out? Or how it works?
    Also does anyone know if you are applying for a mature student course do you find out before the CAO places are announced in August....I suppose it depends on the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

Afaik, the results come out in 6 weeks and we will be contacted by MSAP to view them online. (So approx April) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 farfromthegrave

Hey, I dunno when the results are out but I've been told it's 3 weeks and as far as I know they email them to you! Maybe the ACER website has this information. And as far as I know the first round of offers for mature students is the 1st of July, please correct me if I'm wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

ooh 3 weeks would be even better! :D (I was just going off the FAQ on the MSAP webpage, but they're probably only guidelines in case they don't come out soon XD).

/keeping fingers crossed :D

I rang UCC to double check as I was worried, they said -
    The MSAP results are out around easter, they will be e-mailed to both us and the College/uni we sat the exams for.
    In my B/f's case (he sat them not me) there will then be an interview round and then college places will be given out through the CAO in July(not sure what date exactly but I think December is right and it is early july).

Hope this helps

(Sorry Far from the Grave not December posted 1st dec)

Last year they took exactly 6 weeks, so check your email. I then went for an interview with both UCC and CIT for places, UCC didn't inform me whether or not my interview was successful (despite getting a near perfect MSAP score and well within the range required for the course) - They said they would contact me but they didn't. That could be because I then changed the UCC course from 1rst to 2nd on my choices. I can't be sure. Then I had my interview for CIT in May, I was provisionally told I would be offered a place in the course in July around 2 days after the interview. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

i just sat the MSAP exam last saturday 19th feb 2011, and i must say it was substantially more difficult than any of the sample papers i had studied. i am not brimming with confidence or eagerly awaiting the results now.
    is there anyone else who sat the MSAP this year and if so, what were your feelings regarding the exam itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Old Thread. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement