Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony centre and price discrepancies

Options
  • 26-01-2009 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I walked by Sony centre in Stephen's green last Saturday week and saw that they were selling 500 GB external hard drives for 72 euro. I though that was a good price and went in to buy one.

The guy behind the counter told me that the price advertised in the window was wrong and that they were actually 240. I didn't argue with him cause I know that the price they display is an invitation to treat and that they don't have to honour the price.

A week later, last saturday, I walked by the same shop and the same sign is up advertising the same hard drive for 72 euro. Nothing has changed.

If they don't honour a price; or in their case tell me the price is wrong, do they legally have to remove the sign so other people don't ask about the same price. ??

Really pissed off with them now because of this. They continue to be a rip off

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

swingking wrote: »
    I walked by Sony centre in Stephen's green last Saturday week and saw that they were selling 500 GB external hard drives for 72 euro. I though that was a good price and went in to buy one.

The guy behind the counter told me that the price advertised in the window was wrong and that they were actually 240. I didn't argue with him cause I know that the price they display is an invitation to treat and that they don't have to honour the price.

A week later, last saturday, I walked by the same shop and the same sign is up advertising the same hard drive for 72 euro. Nothing has changed.

If they don't honour a price; or in their case tell me the price is wrong, do they legally have to remove the sign so other people don't ask about the same price. ??

Really pissed off with them now because of this. They continue to be a rip off

I have a feeling that might come under false advertising. Not an expert though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

What was the hard drive that was advertised OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That sounds about right, 70 euro would be a normal price for a 500gb external hard drive. 240 would not be, unless it was crafted with gold trim. Sounds like it's the sales person that made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You'd need to go in and check again. While invitation to treat always applies, that doesn't mean shops can just display any price they want.

http://www.asai.ie if it's not genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

The hard drive in question was a Iomega 500gb hard drive

• Advertisement

Did it look like a regular 500GB or did the €240 drive say something like Nas or Screenplay?

Hmnn I just rang them and they have various different hard drives in stock. The cheapest is this one which at it's lowest price was €69.99 and is now €76.95. I'm not sure where the price of €72 came from.

The dearest one is this one at €249 which is in stock also but is 1TB. They don't stock any 500GB hard drive which is €240.

???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I can't see any mention of Peats in this thread apart from the links you supplied?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Definatly sounds like the sales person at fault.

I can't see any mention of Peats in this thread apart from the links you supplied?

Several of the Sony Centres are run by Peats including the one in Stephens Green. They stock Iomega hard drives which they get from Peats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement