Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nose piercing - is it rejecting?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

So I've had a nose stud since 2005, and of my very small collection of piercings it's been the easiest to deal with. Today I noticed a very small bump beside the hole, which definitely had not been there before. I've had a couple of colds recently, so I was thinking this might have something to do with it, or it might be rejecting for some reason. Thoughts?

I gave it a clean with sea salt and boiled cooled water, and will be doing this until it hopefully clears up - I feel naked without that nose stud and would hate to have to take it out.

Advice or feedback would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Hypertrophic scarring perhaps? Due to improper jewellery. Although I'm not sure. Best wait till someone more knowledgable sees this. Pics would probably help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I don't think nose piercings reject very often.

its more likely irritated by all the extra movement associated with rubbing or blowing your nose.

are you wearing an ultra thin stud?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

It would be fairly unlikely that it would be hypertrophic scaring 4 years down the track. I get a bump, like the one you described quite regularly, and it's when I'm run down, and it heals up after a few days of TLC.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Definitely suggests to me that it'll heal up once all the colds are gone and you're back in fighting form. My piercings get irritated when I'm run down. Keep the sea salts going, stock up on the vit. C and it should be fine in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Aloe Vera is your friend too ;)

I have that bump at the moment :/

I'm soaking twice a day and hoping for the best :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Knee-Vee

Thanks guys! I'm not wearing an ultra-thin stud, I'm wearing a plain silver stud that has never caused any irritation before. I've tried the thin ones and they do irritate a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I know you may mean silver color, as opposed to silver the metal.

But if you do mean silver the metal, its not a great idea, because it oxidises leaving black crud on the metal. Secondly, it contains a fair amount of nickel. Everyone has some level of reaction to nickel, and it can worsen through exposure. So never having a problem before is not a sure indication that you won't. Thirdly, its a very soft metal, easily scratched and pitted, and therefore difficult to keep clean and prone to hanging on to bacteria. Any of these properties could induce a reaction.

but, maybe you didn't mean the metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

"A keloid is a type of hypertrophic scar with mainly type I and some type III collagen which results in an overgrowth of tissue at the site of a healed skin injury. Keloids are firm, rubbery lesions or shiny, fibrous nodules, and can vary from pink to flesh-colored or red to dark brown in color"

Ive had them on piercings before nothing to worry about

Advertisement