Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

don't use internet on phone - can I use gps?

• 26-01-2009 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Would anybody be able to outline a basc cost of using gps/sat nav on a phone?? I am a bit confused by it.

What can I get just on the phone without connecting to anything else?
    Is it any good?
    Does it have to connect to the internet and if so how much does this cost? I have never used the internet on the phone before

If I subscribe for voice guidance how much does it cost?

The phones I am looking at are Nokia N95 or Nokia Navigator or just forget about the whole gps and go for a a tocco

Any basic help would be most appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

connecting to the internet is done for two reasons, 1. To download new maps as you move into a new area and 2. It can get a very good idea of it's location based on the mast it's connected to which help the gps lock faster

Before i can tell you the cost i need to know what network you're on and if you're on pre pay or bill
    But you don't actually need to connect to the internet because you can predownload the maps on your computer before you leave

I think the voice guidance is about 60 euro for 3 years, it also includes routing which isn't included as standard on the n95 but might be on others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i got tomtom on me phone and it costs nothing to use it. Even using voice guidance its free. I didnt get it from tomtom though.
    Seems pretty decent. Dont really use it that much to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Using a Nokia - like n95 , you don't need to download the maps to phone. You can use the maploader app in the pc suite, and transfer the entire Ireland map to the Phone! Saves you a lot of time and money ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 glenn_lfc

Yea the charges are only to help you find a lock quicker. Think you can use the GPS without connecting but it obv takes longer.

Seanybiker- what phone do you have and where did u get tomtom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭O7Pat

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    connecting to the internet is done for two reasons, 1. To download new maps as you move into a new area and 2. It can get a very good idea of it's location based on the mast it's connected to which help the gps lock faster

Before i can tell you the cost i need to know what network you're on and if you're on pre pay or bill
    But you don't actually need to connect to the internet because you can predownload the maps on your computer before you leave

I think the voice guidance is about 60 euro for 3 years, it also includes routing which isn't included as standard on the n95 but might be on others

€60 for 3 years doesn't seem bad.

I'd be moving to Vodafone bill pay from o2 bill

Seanybiker can u give more details.

Can any of this be done on a tocco? friend has one and I like them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 glenn_lfc

Sam Vimes wrote: »

According to nokia.ie voice guidance is €70 for 1 year for Ireland & UK, even more for all Europe.

A bit pricey - trying to see if i can get tomtom or garmin software for my n78

Advertisement