Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ipoker dropout

Options
  • 26-01-2009 3:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Is the connection to the the servers on ipoker always dropping out for other people ? I play on 3 other sites 6 tabling cash games and it is the only site that I've had this problem so regularly.

The connection seems to drop out more than a few times every session and costs me a good few $$$$$.

For the record I have a 7meg broadband with imagine.ie and my computer is wired directly to the broadband modem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You could run fiber-optics from your house and plug directly into the iPoker servers and they'd still find a way to have you disconnect at the most inconvenient and tilt-inducing times!

iPoker is one of the most unreliable networks. Fact of life at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭insomniak

im actually having a lot of problems with connection lately too, im on chorus and have problems with b2b and merge, have rang them numberous times but have had no way of getting it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I asked PPP and they assured me there have been no connectivity problems, it must be a problem at your end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

RoundTower wrote: »
    I asked PPP and they assured me there have been no connectivity problems, it must be a problem at your end.

I'd be happier leaving Gary Glitter in charge of a group 12 year old girls then trust the word of a PPP customer serivce rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

It's been fine for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭dwayman

I was on to PP rep too and they denied everything. He said that if they were having problems they would get lots of people contacting them.

When in drops out I google something and the conection seems fine and it still can't get connect for 30 secs. I also have another computer datamining on party and those tables are fine.

Poster above said they were having problems with B2B. I play there too and it seems pretty reliable. Usually the connection says very good on the screen for me although last night it said "bad" but it never dropped out.

What ever the problem is on ipoker I don't get it on other sites that I play on alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭White Knight

dwayman wrote: »
    I also have another computer datamining on party

This will considerably (irregardless whether it should or not) affect your staying connected depending on other factors such as your connection and isp details

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

This will considerably (irregardless whether it should or not) affect your staying connected depending on other factors such as your connection and isp details
    +1, heres ur problem, ur overloading ur connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

insomniak wrote: »
    im on chorus

And here's your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Scratches head, re-reads post, re-reads post again.

Still scratching my head.

I'm not longer experiencing connectivity issues, just moments of lag.

I think Ipoker need a new ISP/hosting tbh......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭big_iain

i have had long lags with Boyles on IPoker. Don't believe them. Ipoker network is always having problems.

Plus Ireland is ****e for broadband. My brother in UK, in some back and beyond place has 50Mb Broadband. Ireland is a joke for connectivity. You would have better luck tossing bottles off Dublin Bay. The message would get there faster.

And don't give me any crap about contention. If the capacity isn't there to begin with then it doesn't matter.

It comes to something when you can't even stay connected across the internet for a relatively small amount of traffic like running 6 window games. How did Haved Khan do it in the UK? Because he had the connectivity. Ireland Internet backbone is joke.

used to experience it a lot, never anymore.

changes I can think of
    1) Upgraded to 4mb BB from smart. Was on chorus before, can be dodgy as they send a regular reset package apparently.
    2) changed from Norton to AVG for my antivirus.

zuroph wrote: »
    used to experience it a lot, never anymore.

changes I can think of

1) Upgraded to 4mb BB from smart. Was on chorus before, can be dodgy as they send a regular reset package apparently. This could be a dynamic ip change. This should not happen while you are connected through there network. dynamic IP addresses only change at end of lease or on new connection if your usual IP is not available
    2) changed from Norton to AVG for my antivirus. If you can run Microsoft word and excel at the same time smoothly then you can run two fairly light poker sites at once. regardless of AV. Turn off AV to test to see if this is causing issue

Let's look at it like this. You could play one window using 56Kb dialup, 2 at a push and you get lag. So we will say one per 56Kb. So to run 6 windows you would expect to use around ~320Kb. There should be no issue using even half meg broadband.

well i dont know about these things, im just listing what changed. the thing about chorus came from a mate who said it caused him some problems in his workplace (he's a programmer).
    as for the AV, I was more thinking along the lines of how their Firewall stuff works. I know when I shut firewall on norton i had it a lot better, but that was 2 years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I've said it before, but will mention it again, the reason why we find iPoker to be so unreliable isn't necessarily because of their own network but rather it's a software related problem specific to its handling of packet loss/connectivity error on the clients side.

Now if there was a direct connection from you to the iPoker network, there'd be no problems, however given that Playtech servers are located pretty much halfway around the world, your connection to the network is routed through dozens of other networks throughout Europe. The more networks that your traffic has to be routed through, the more likely it is that some packets of data are lost, or bottlenecks in the network cause the data to take slightly longer (talking miliseconds here) to reach Playtech servers.

Translated roughly to English, the very fact that players connections have to jump through hoops to reach iPoker successfully means that it doesn't take much for things to go awry. I'll point out now that it's the exact same for other networks such as Pokerstars and Full Tilt, in that they're all susceptible to the same problems but it seems as if they've invested significant resources into improving their software to cope with these errors.

When you play on Full Tilt or Poker Stars, if there's a connection error, you'll generally only lose the ability to play on the table that was affected and it will automatically (and usually successfully) recover within seconds. On iPoker, once there's a connection error, it affects the activity on ALL the tables you're playing on and causes your connection to iPoker to drop.

Maybe it's because PokerStars and FullTilt have more resources at their disposal that they've been able to pretty much eradicate such issues, but if Playtech were to invest in improving their softwares handling of connection fluctuations then we could expect to see rapid improvements!

what he said +1.

Connection to Internet back bones are poor.

Software is ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I had 10mg eircom broadband and had a load of issues and dropped back to 2mg and all is fine again.....not a techy but it something to do with ipoker packet size/lost connection.

The eircom engineer said something along the lines of reducing the size of the broadband line decreases the chances of lost packets/disconnections after i told him of the difficulties i was having. He played online so seemed to know what he was on about....sounded good enough for me:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I've said it before, but will mention it again, the reason why we find iPoker to be so unreliable isn't necessarily because of their own network but rather it's a software related problem specific to its handling of packet loss/connectivity error on the clients side.

Now if there was a direct connection from you to the iPoker network, there'd be no problems, however given that Playtech servers are located pretty much halfway around the world, your connection to the network is routed through dozens of other networks throughout Europe. The more networks that your traffic has to be routed through, the more likely it is that some packets of data are lost, or bottlenecks in the network cause the data to take slightly longer (talking miliseconds here) to reach Playtech servers.

Translated roughly to English, the very fact that players connections have to jump through hoops to reach iPoker successfully means that it doesn't take much for things to go awry. I'll point out now that it's the exact same for other networks such as Pokerstars and Full Tilt, in that they're all susceptible to the same problems but it seems as if they've invested significant resources into improving their software to cope with these errors.

When you play on Full Tilt or Poker Stars, if there's a connection error, you'll generally only lose the ability to play on the table that was affected and it will automatically (and usually successfully) recover within seconds. On iPoker, once there's a connection error, it affects the activity on ALL the tables you're playing on and causes your connection to iPoker to drop.

Maybe it's because PokerStars and FullTilt have more resources at their disposal that they've been able to pretty much eradicate such issues, but if Playtech were to invest in improving their softwares handling of connection fluctuations then we could expect to see rapid improvements!

When you think about the fact that their software has a feature that prompts you as to whether or not you wish to attempt to re-establish a connection to the server. I'd say you're probably right.

Hmmm, let me see, i'm chip leader on the bubble of a turbo STT.....do i want to reconnect....

I can't say I agree with you entirely.

It's not just on the stars and tilt that most peoples connections have no problems, it's on the smaller networks too.

Hell, even Tribeca had less connectivity issues (any disconnections were generally server crashes).

Entraction and Cake suffer from no such issues either.

One thing is for certain, there clearly is an issue somewhere, be it software or network related.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

ipoker must die...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭The Little Guy

Don't know if this helps, or even answers any questions, but received the following message from our providers yesterday

"We are moving servers during a 6 hour downtime window from Wednesday 28.02.2009 Starting 07.00AM GMT"

• Advertisement
Advertisement