Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out what network a mobile number is on?

• 26-01-2009 4:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Can anyone tell me how i can find out what network a given mobile number is with.
    Failing that, does anyone know how to find out if the number you're calling is a same-network/ different-network number.

I know there's the voicemail trick but voicemails are often personalised so.. :(
    Any other way?
    Thanks.

Edit: I understand the 085/086/087 prefix is a clue but the advent of porting obviously messes all this up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

If you ring someone with an 086 prefix but they are actually on Meteor/Vodafone/3 then a tone sounds before the ringing tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

bigkev49 wrote: »
    If you ring someone with an 086 prefix but they are actually on Meteor/Vodafone/3 then a tone sounds before the ringing tone.

OK cheers.
    Does that apply generally to numbers that have been ported in the past?
    e.g say if you ring someone on 085 but they're actually with voda/o2/3, you get the tone as well?

Specifically I'm with o2 and want to know when i'm calling other o2 numbers:
    So your info is handy to know when i'm ringing non-o2 086 numbers.

Just wondering now about how to know when i'm ringing a non-086 02 number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i got stung on that once, free vodafone to vodafone calls, and i used over €10 credit ringing a 087 on meteor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Could you not just ask the person you're ringing?
    then make a note of it in your contacts or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Meteor used to have a service wwaayyy back where you could text the number to some 5xxxx number and they would reply with the network that number was on..
    Dont think it still exists tho..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

50004 it was. It wouldn't tell you what network it was on, just if it was on meteor or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

if the person has v/m set up , then not to sure, but if they havent and you ring 086 5 and then the rest of their number, it will tell you what network you are connected to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Genghis

Two ideas for you - one to see if a number is on 02, another to see which network a number is on:

If you are on 02 pre-pay, and you have the option to 'call 10 02 numbers' for free, then you can try registering the number you want to ID, and if it is not 02 it tells you immediately. Downside is if it is 02, you waste one of your 10 numbers for a period of time - any number you add can't be deleted for a number of weeks.

Secondly, if you dial the '5' version of voicemail above, let the call last for 5-6 seconds, you can then go to 02 online later and see how you were charged for the call. It will say what network you were connected to.

Stalker trick no. 101 - don't let your call get to the bit where you leave a message - the caller can usually trace you by 'pressing X' to place a call back to you and hence find out YOUR number! They don't even have to connect, the voicemail service announces the number it is calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

but if you do *141 before you dial, then you are on private number, so they wont know who tired to call them

messrs wrote: »
    but if you do *141 before you dial, then you are on private number, so they wont know who tired to call them

if you're calling from a mobile then afaik is *31#086xxxxxxx

141 is for landlines no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

I know this is veering away from topic, but what prefix does an unlisted landline use to reveal their number?

ozymandius wrote: »
    I know this is veering away from topic, but what prefix does an unlisted landline use to reveal their number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement