Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Digiweb] Connecting to the internet through a laptop

Options
  • 26-01-2009 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm having problems sharing a connection what I am trying to do is connect to the internet through the wireless on my laptop via a cat5 crossover cable, the PC is running XP and the laptop vista I've tryed to run the connection sharing wizard with no luck as well as googleing. Would apreashate some help with this. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

lol5605 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm having problems sharing a connection what I am trying to do is connect to the internet through the wireless on my laptop via a cat5 crossover cable, the PC is running XP and the laptop vista I've tryed to run the connection sharing wizard with no luck as well as googleing. Would apreashate some help with this. Thanks.
    Is a crossover cable not used to hardwire your connection from the modem to the laptop? or do you have a wireless router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

First off, what kind of broadband do you have, and what is it connected directly to?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Its 5meg Deigiweb dsl, the laptop is connected over wireless and Im trying to connected the pc to the internet through the laptops wireless.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

lol5605 wrote: »
    Its 5meg Deigiweb dsl, the laptop is connected over wireless and Im trying to connected the pc to the internet through the laptops wireless.

Why not buy a wireless router?

I have a wireless router witch the laptop is connected to I dont have a wireless card for the pc and its way to far to connect with a cable Im trying to run the internet on the pc off the wireless on the laptop via a cat5 cable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Your laptop is getting an IP address from your router.
    Your PC needs one too but just plugging in a crossover cable from your laptop isn't good enough. You'll need to give your PC an IP address. Do you know how to do this? Once you've done that you use the Internet Connection Sharing wizard.

To be honest you can buy a USB wireless adapter for shag all.
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/WIRELESS-USB-INTERNET-WiFi-Wi-fi-DONGLE-FOR-VISTA-XP-PC_W0QQitemZ200208831789QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Networking_SM?hash=item200208831789&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308

And they're probably about €20 - €30 in PC World etc. It's a lot less hassle in the long run. Then you just set up your PC the same way you set up your laptop.

When I run the connection wizard I do it fine on the pc (have to do it on this 1st as its xp) then I create the setup disc run it on my laptop all goes fine then it says it cannot be completed because of a unknown error, is there a manual way to do this instead, need internet on the pc by 6 tonight, its driving me mad! also no cash for at least a week for a wireless adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Hi your problem might be better in the Nets/Comms forum rather than Broadband. But anyway can you use a normal CAT5 patch cable to connect your PC directly to the router?

If you can't do this try the following: run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers forget about the CD. Choose the peer-to-peer/workgroup scenario when asked in the wizard, When the final dialog asks "Do you want to create another coaster set up CD? " select "No I've enough CD coasters, I'll run the network set up wizard on the other computer instead." :D Restart both computers. Connect the crossover cable. Now you should be able to see both computers in Network Places. Try using the internet from the desktop computer now it may work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to nets/comms for a better response to LAN/connection sharing question.

Advertisement