Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox 360 Hard Drive Query

• 26-01-2009 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi All,

New to the site, so please bare with me.:D

I am looking to get the Xbox 360 for my son. Can you tell me if I would be able to get the Xbox360 and then buy the 120Gb hard drive from the Xbox 360 Elite and install it myself. Can it be done or is there anythine else I need to install it ???.... :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Why dont you just get the elite instead? Ive had an xbox for over 2 years now and I have the 20GB hard drive and its not even half full....

Then again in my case all I have on it is saved games but you can copy music and even the full game themselves to it nowadays.

Depends what you want it for but you might get away with the 20GB one especiallly if you just want it for saving your game progress...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭vtiniall

What is the differance between the Xbox 360 and the Elite. Is it just the larger Hard drive. Apart from the Hard Drive what other differances are there ????....

As it is for my son, It would really be only used for the Gaming aspect of the console. But at a later date, can the Hard Drive be replaced with the larger drive ?....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055448551&highlight=elite

Id say if its just for gaming and not for other media such as music and games etc the 20GB would be fine. Thats what I have and its more than enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I've got an Arcade version with some tiny amount of memory on it (~200Mb) but that's more than enough for saving games. Always the possibility to expand the memory with a hard drive if needed

The hard drive just clicks on to the top of the Xbox so you can buy a bigger one at a later date if you want...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭vtiniall

Cheers Guys, Thanks for the Input :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I would pesonally go for 60gb or 120gb version. With new update you can install games to hard drive (you still need disc) which is deadly, speeds up starting time a lot and saves laser in your optical drive.

If you're not planning to install games and have something for savegames go for arcade with 256mb card (look for newest version of console which suppose to be reliable) or second hand 20gb version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

20gb hard drive has been a bit of a pain since the last dash up date allowing you to install the games, im now looking at an upgrade so i can have more than 2 games installed at once

Yeah been reading up on installing the games to the hard drive and it looks like an advantage if you have the space but I dont know if id buy a new hard drive for it...

Is it really that much better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

its quicker (loading time), more quiet, runs cooler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Yeah been reading up on installing the games to the hard drive and it looks like an advantage if you have the space but I dont know if id buy a new hard drive for it...

Is it really that much better?
    Yeah - it makes a good difference. Two of the games I played recently (Fable II and PES 2009) used to really thrash the DVD drive loading information for the game causing a delay while loading games, or in Fable it would cause some delay and pop-up if I was running somewhere, or changed direction quickly.

I installed the games to the HDD and the load for PES was much quicker and quieter. For Fable the whole game ran smoother, it was much quieter to play and generally quicker.

The kicker is that I only have a 20GB HDD, so I can realistically only have one game installed at a time. But, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay €130+ for the 120GB drive that most shops are looking for. I mean, I could buy a 1TB drive (1,000GB) for my PC for less than that.

Advertisement