Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Patio Area leak

Options
  • 26-01-2009 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Recently I noticed a water stain in ceiling of my groundfloor apartment. It would appear that the leak is coming from the patio door area of the apartment immediately above me.

Is the patio door area of the apartment considered common area and hence comes under the management external maintenance or is it considered a living area and is the responsiblity of the owner.

It would be nice know what the status is before I approach either the owner or the management company. ( Talking to some friends , some say its the management company others say the owner!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I imagine it's the management company, but you should really check the lease you signed when you bought the apartment, that should lay out what is and isn't a 'common area'.
    I think usually the management company owns the patio and external walls, but you're given exclusive access to your own patio in the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The management company - although there is no harm in talking to the resident / owner upstairs.

Advertisement