Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crystal Healing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭minusorange

If the healing makes you feel better, does it matter?

It matters quiet a bit actually. If there was a scientific basis to this then it could potentially be used by mainstream medicine the world over. Then a lot more people could feel better because of it. I imagine it would be a lot cheaper than synthetic medicine's as well. So that's why I'm asking is there any scientific evidence to support it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

It matters quiet a bit actually. If there was a scientific basis to this then it could potentially be used by mainstream medicine the world over. Then a lot more people could feel better because of it. I imagine it would be a lot cheaper than synthetic medicine's as well. So that's why I'm asking is there any scientific evidence to support it?

Theres no logic behind it tbh in terms of physiology, biochemistry or physics. But that being said I think if something genuinely makes you feel better even if it's just emotionally (like the contact with the therapist, taking the time to relax during the treatment, feeling like your pampering yourself or even the placebo effect) and you enjoy then what harm.
    I personally just love stones and crystals, my grandad wrote books on geology and because of him I collected them from a very young age. Just having them around me is nice I don't need any more than that myself although I don't think that they heal me in any way.
    I see your point but I wouldn't get your hopes up, chinese medicince is only now being accepted as a credible therapy as there has been a lot of good scientific research into it yielding positive results. I don't see anyone getting the funding to look into the crystal thing as theres no background logic to it like I said earlier and a researcher doesnt want to spend the time and money on a theory that doesn't have any promise of a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭minusorange

Research funding really is a problem in alternative medicine.

I have a little experience dealing with reflexology and herbal medicine. There is funding for certain herbal trials, but they are few and far between. Things seem to be improving though, little by little. The American Botanical Council highlight a lot of the most recent scientific studies, so there is good work being done by respected institutions.

Reflexology is a little more problematic. I've both received and given reflexology to great effect. The trouble is there is very little, if any, decent evidence in support of it. For that reason I'm more likely to think of it as a placebo effect, a very effective placebo, but nothing more.

This crystal business seems a bit fanciful to me. I'm glad it works for you though.

Advertisement