Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVR choice - Denon or Pioneer

• 26-01-2009 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm about to purchase an AVR to team up with a pending arrival of a Jamo A102 surround speaker package.

My preference for AVR was the Denon 1909, as it seems to offer everything that the Onkyo 606 gives, with better looks!

However, JohnMc in RS is also strongly recommending the Pioneer VSX-1018. This one seems like good value at the moment, and on paper looks the more powerful amp, and has some neat features such as direct iPod connectivity. One drawback with it is it only has 2 HDMI inputs, the Denon has 3, the Onkyo has 4!!
    I'm not sure whether this is a huge issue or not as I only have one HD source right now (blueray) and I'm no gamer, so not likely to have a PS3. Possibly will have SkyHD or similar sometime down the line though.

Has anyone had direct experience with either of these amps? Particularly the Pioneer, as there doesn't seem to be as much info around about it as the others...?

I should probably mention that good sound on DVD / Blueray is my number one priority!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Mate of mine has Jamo speakers attached to his new Deno amp + Denon Blu-ray transport. He loves it and has no issues. He also has Sony 40" lcd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Just upgraded to the Denon AVR 1909.
    All i can say is i'm very impressed and i'm still using the dodgy speakers from my old 5.1 package, and the difference is huge.

I'll be going with the KEF 3005SE's for this, as they are the best speakers i auditioned with the amp. Though sound preference is a personal thing.

Its really easy to set up too. I got mine in Richer Sounds in Leeds when i was there for £299.95 a couple of weeks ago when the rate was 94p in the euro!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Since I posted this thread, I since purchased the Pioneer from John in RS. Delighted with it, enough power to blow my neighbours brains out :D

Top service too from John and the guys in the shop in RS, one of the lads there called me today to make sure I was enjoying my purchase... safe to say, I love it :)

Advertisement