Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch

• 26-01-2009 10:46am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going to New York next month and want to get a new watch for myself, does anyone know a good site to buy 1 from? Or a venue in New York to go to for the best deals? I have a friend in NY so I can get it delivered to him and collect from him so shipping isn't a concern.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

macys, woodbury common etc etc

i bought 2 marc echo watches there last year, one was €57 and the other was €80 (after conversion)

they were both €200 each in the local shop here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Cheers, I'll check those out, I'm looking for something more high end, I like expensive watches (I know an awful waste of money)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

I bought a seiko kinetic watch off this crowd about 4 years ago and got it delivered to a US address , they did/do had great prices on designer watches.

http://www.wristzonewatches.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Check the watch manufacturers' websites for the watches you are interested in and see if you can search for a supplier/stockist close
    to your hotel.

Two examples here:

http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=127

http://www.tagheuer.com/the-brand/contacts-services/retailers/index.lbl?lang=en

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That site looks too good to be true Rooy, are they genuine watches? Some fantastic deals, thanks a million.

Good tip there Gran, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Clareman wrote: »
    That site looks too good to be true Rooy, are they genuine watches? Some fantastic deals, thanks a million.

Good tip there Gran, cheers

Visit the Irish authorised agents to look at the ranges and see what you like. Once you have a shortlist of models then phone/email the US agents
    for pricing. I saved nearly €2k on a watch doing this a couple of years back. A couple of phonecalls now to the USA before you leave will save
    you running around when you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

They are genuine ,great prices alright , we are too used to rip off prices here on watches i think.
    They are based in Vegas I think ,they ship by UPS.

If only they have Omega watches :)

Great site, thanks guys, I really appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

macys have nearly all brands, plus you show your passport to a desk on the 2nd floor they give you a cert, so when you pay the cashier, an 11% discount is given as you are carrying the item out of the country, 11% off a top end watch is not to be sneezed at, plus the buck is weak.

old boy wrote: »
    macys have nearly all brands, plus you show your passport to a desk on the 2nd floor they give you a cert, so when you pay the cashier, an 11% discount is given as you are carrying the item out of the country, 11% off a top end watch is not to be sneezed at, plus the buck is weak.
    Yeah, that's a great offer, I plan on coming home with all brand gear from there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Hi Clareman,

I bought an Omega Seamaster from http://www.prestigetime.com/ last year and found the service excellent. Believe me I had looked at various sites beforehand+satisfied myself as to authenticity!They have a "live support" link which I found v.useful when discussing options on delivery etc. Worth checking...significant savings to be made compared to here - don't understand why anyone would be over the odds in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Clareman wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm going to New York next month and want to get a new watch for myself, does anyone know a good site to buy 1 from? Or a venue in New York to go to for the best deals? I have a friend in NY so I can get it delivered to him and collect from him so shipping isn't a concern.

Thanks in advance

There are a few tax free places in Europe that do good prices on watches. Andorra is one example.

cheers, great link Coxy. Thanks as well ph4t, I'm going to NY so it's just as handy to get it over there, and the dollar is weak(ish) at the moment to make things even better

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

I bought a Tag Heuer from www.gemnation.com based in NY you can call into their office if you make an appointment. If you ask them to ship out of state you will save a further 7-8%. So if your friend knows someone in New Jersey it could be worth the extra saving. I saved €800 on Dublin prices.

Advertisement