Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Wireless Speeds

Options
  • 26-01-2009 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I have 20MB broadband with UPC. When I connect wirelessly and do a line speed test I only get about 6MB's on download.

I connected directly to the modem and I get near enough 20MB. Also when my friend connects with his mac book to the wireless network he also gets the 20MB.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks. Ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sounds like a poor wireless network adapter in your PC. Change that, or stay with a wired connection would be your options. Either that, or get a Mac Book :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

As WiFi signal gets poorer it drops from 54Mps
    22, 11, 5, 2 and 1Mbps approx

With one laptop you can get about 80% of speed half duplex.

With 3 laptops you get about 1/4 to 1/10th of speed.

Your laptop WiFi also might only be connecting using 802.11b, which is 11Mbps raw, 5Mbits speed not unusual. The Macbook is likely 802.11g, which is 54Mbps.

Sometimes 802.11g laptop and base are not compatible, or settings not compatible and it auto negotiates to 11Mbps 802.11b

Some VERY old laptops only do 2Mbps!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Moving to wireless as this is nothing to do with your actual Broadband connection

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Gdep

if you are using a netgear wireless adapter they are sometimes not the best quality and you can try ring netgear for a replacement. if you are using xp on your laptop try downloading the tcp optimizer. increase your bandwidth to its full range

Advertisement