Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lansdowne Road to host 2011 Uefa Cup Final?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The FAI should host it in Old Trafford. Perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pigman II wrote: »
    That's great. Maybe we can hold the final of UEFA cup fantasy football tournament here in 2011 (provided a UEFA 5-star rated cybercafe can be made ready in time)?
    Think it shows us Irish are interested in the UEFA cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Think it shows us Irish are interested in the UEFA cup.
    Not interested enough to help Irish teams participate in it in any meaningful way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Im going to point this out again: being a diehard EL fan does not make you a better Irishman. It makes you prouder to be from your clubs catchment area.

The great irony here is that if by multiple strokes of getting drawn against awful teams and favourably dodgy decisions a Dublin club managed to stumble its way to the final in 2011 it would go down in the clubs history as having been oh so magical to play the final in their hometown.

CiaranC wrote: »
    No way should Ireland host any major european final or international tournament. These should go to countries with a genuine interest in football.

Define genuine interest.

Italian mate in work, a Juve fan, I asked him whether he was going to stall into Murrays or wherever to watch their match vs Cyprus. Said he wasnt going to bother, it was only Cyprus. Shock horror, some Italians abroad dont bother making the effort to watch the "small" games. I, on the other hand, would try and find a pub abroad to watch an Ireland friendly against Malta or San Marino. Couldnt give a sh1te about who the opposition is, it is my team. Am I a better football fan than most Italians? Should Italy be denied major footbal event hosting because some Italians take a laid back attitude to what are seen as walkover games?

On a similar note, I was in Temple Bar larging it in the square the night Italy won the world cup. Yes, they were joyous and celebrating, but I just didnt see the ecstatic emotion and complete losing of the plot you would get if Ireland had won. My mate was in town the night of the Spain win in 08, he said there were alot of Spaniards about but they largely dispersed by about 1am. Can you honestly imagine the Irish party ending this early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I reckon hosting the UEFA cup final would be a good thing. It's not as prestigious as the Champions league but it's better than nothing. Given the current economic troubles it would be good for the economy and would be a bit of good news for soccer in this country for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I cannot believe people on here saying Ireland does not deserve to host a major final. I think that you people honestly do not have a clue and should go and get your heads examined. There are probably at least a million people in this country who follow football on a regular basis. If a final was held here the majority of the tickets go to both sides involved and then Uefa. Maybe a small portion go on sale in the host country if any at all. These comments are some of the worst crap I have ever read on the soccer forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

redout wrote: »
    I cannot believe people on here saying Ireland does not deserve to host a major final. I think that you people honestly do not have a clue and should go and get your heads examined.

They are the same gang who would say watching Shels win a summer friendly against a league two outfit would be better than Ireland winning the world cup. All for a reaction, dont mind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Look at Scotland with a population of 10 Million and excluding Rangers and Celtic they to have dismal turnouts to SPL games week in week out. I think your reasoning is wrong.
    You are way off with your estimate of the population of Scotland. In 2006 the estimated population of Scotland was about 5.1 million, a good bit lower than the estimated population of a 32 county Ireland of just under 6 million. The dismal turnouts at the non-OF SPL games were all above 5,000 last weekend. How does that compare with the typical attendance at a game here? I've been going to games here for the last 15 years and thoroughly enjoy the game here so this is not intended as a dig. The state of Scottish football might not be the greatest in the world but its nothing like as bad as people seem to think...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I cannot believe people on here saying Ireland does not deserve to host a major final. I think that you people honestly do not have a clue and should go and get your heads examined. There are probably at least a million people in this country who follow football on a regular basis.

:pac: What if two poor teams make the final? will they not turn up because it's not the best? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

delos wrote: »
    You are way off with your estimate of the population of Scotland. In 2006 the estimated population of Scotland was about 5.1 million, a good bit lower than the estimated population of a 32 county Ireland of just under 6 million. The dismal turnouts at the non-OF SPL games were all above 5,000 last weekend. How does that compare with the typical attendance at a game here? I've been going to games here for the last 15 years and thoroughly enjoy the game here so this is not intended as a dig. The state of Scottish football might not be the greatest in the world but its nothing like as bad as people seem to think...:)

Swap Scotland for Belgium then and the 10 Million applies. The guys argument was flawed in my opinion. Any country with a suitable UEFA approved stadium is eligible to host a final. so he can talk all the crap he wants and all the crap some of the others want to because the bottom line is that Ireland will be able to host a UEFA cup final once the new lansdowne is complete and I hope to god we get it. This is ancient news by the way as I remember reading this at least a 9 - 12 months ago.

SantryRed wrote: »
    :pac: What if two poor teams make the final? will they not turn up because it's not the best? :rolleyes:

I see yoU left out the rest of my post were I said that the majority of the tickets for a UEFA final go to the two teams involved then Uefa take a big chunk also. So your point has no basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Swap Scotland for Belgium then and the 10 Million applies. The guys argument was flawed in my opinion. Any country with a suitable UEFA approved stadium is eligible to host a final. so he can talk all the crap he wants and all the crap some of the others want to because the bottom line is that Ireland will be able to host a UEFA cup final once the new lansdowne is complete and I hope to god we get it. This is ancient news by the way as I remember reading this at least a 9 - 12 months ago.

Agree - any country with a suitable stadium is eligible to host. End of story. A country's size, standard of national league, passion of local fans yada yada yada are all nonense arguements. Tournaments are held in among different UEFA members for a whole range of reasons from political, promoting the game etc etc etc.

I'd love if we got it. Lansdowne is going to be a smashing complex.

Also - Redout. I heard this months ago also (and was skeptical) but supposedly the UEFA decision is due this week..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

D.S. wrote: »
    Tournaments are held in among different UEFA members for a whole range of reasons from political, promoting the game etc etc etc.
    Leaving the football politics out of it (and I suspect that they are the main driver behind the decision ;)) its all about promoting the host city as well as the stadium as a great venue and showing that the event can be well organised. When the new stadium is completed I don't see Dublin as any worse off than Glasgow and not many people would doubt Glasgow's right to stage a major European final at Hampden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

shane86 wrote: »
    They are the same gang who would say watching Shels win a summer friendly against a league two outfit would be better than Ireland winning the world cup. All for a reaction, dont mind them.

Well personally I would rather see my club win something than the country, and I'm not the only one -

Link

And it's certainly not 'for a reaction'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was just thinking about that final and you would want to book your tickets early.
    It could end up being Man Utd. vs Liverpool

or

Chelski vs Arsenal

cause City and Vila will surely be in the Champions League.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well personally I would rather see my club win something than the country, and I'm not the only one -

Link

And it's certainly not 'for a reaction'.

There are a lot of fans in England who feel same way on the club v country issue. The only difference is they aren't English people supporting clubs from another country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There are a lot of fans in England who feel this way on the club v country issue. The only difference is they aren't English people supporting Bayern Munich or LA Galaxy etc.
    Thats England where it all began. The home of association football aka Soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There are a lot of fans in England who feel same way on the club v country issue. The only difference is they aren't English people supporting clubs from another country.

Very true.

Though from a personal perspective the point still stands - I'd rather see Shelbourne win the Champions League than Ireland win the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I for one look forward to a Rangers-Galatasary or Dinamo Zagreb-Red Star final in Dublin. :cool:

Assuming we don't make the final. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Very true.

Though from a personal perspective the point still stands - I'd rather see Shelbourne win the Champions League than Ireland win the World Cup.

I'd rather Arsenal win a corner than Ireland win the world cup.

But OT , I really hope Lansdowne is successful, the more events we start hosting now the better cause by the sound of things the country is stuffed and will be for some time so the opportunity to get a huge amount of people in the country spending Euros be it for a short period is the most important thing imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement