Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Wireless Speed

Options
  • 26-01-2009 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I have 20MB broadband with UPC. When I connect wirelessly and do a line speed test I only get about 6MB's on download.

I connected directly to the modem and I get near enough 20MB. Also when my friend connects with his mac book to the wireless network he also gets the 20MB.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks. Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It can be a combination of various things, Antivirus, Firewall, quality of the wireless card(MAC's tend to spend more money on smaller parts like wireless cards), actual throughput of the router itself, how many people are connected, interference from other networks and signals at various times of the day, contention on the UPC line itself at various times of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

I'm getting the exact same problem on my desktop, with a wireless D-link card install, running XP, and a laptop using the provided usb wireless key that UPC gave me, also running XP, speeds are limited to 100KB\s, however on a wired connection it's perfect.

However, Other house mate is running vista, with the same d-link wireless card, and he gets full speed.

I have noticed there is a firmware update for it ( the router) but havent applied it yet .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

download tcpic optimzer http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

whack the slider over to the right , check the box for optimal settings,
    apply changes, reboot.

can be done through the registry but why bother when theres a lazy way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RandomPerson13

If your using Xp the speedguide.net thing will def work. Dont do it twice i heard this will mess things up.
    This video goes throught it step by step if your having problems
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=9XwTBAQV320

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

this kind of makes me wonder how many folk are using this service with wireless + xp and dont even notice they are not getting the full whack :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hoanymole

Thanks fellas, that worked a treat! 22MB... what a treat!

Advertisement