Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking Housemate

Options
  • 26-01-2009 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭

Hey just looking for some advice from those who have experience of this situation.

My mate and I moved into a house recently. The Landlord advertised the house as non-smoking and this was a big reason for taking the house. We both HATE smoking in a house. When viewing the house and agreeing to take it the Landlord reminded us that it was non-smoking. fine by us

Anyway this seemed the case for the first few days but now the other housemate is smoking in their room all nite and day. this leaks into the hall and the smell is quite bad. it is now entering our rooms aswell. So at night there is a clear smell of smoke in our rooms and the hall. now we are waking up in the mornings with sore troats.

This house is meant to be non-smoking. Should we contact the Landlord and let him deal with it? He lied to us or he isnt aware?We never see the other house mate as he workd nights.

thanks in adavnce

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

NickDrake wrote: »
    Hey just looking for some advice from those who have experience of this situation.

My mate and I moved into a house recently. The Landlord advertised the house as non-smoking and this was a big reason for taking the house. We both HATE smoking in a house. When viewing the house and agreeing to take it the Landlord reminded us that it was non-smoking. fine by us

Anyway this seemed the case for the first few days but now the other housemate is smoking in their room all nite and day. this leaks into the hall and the smell is quite bad. it is now entering our rooms aswell. So at night there is a clear smell of smoke in our rooms and the hall. now we are waking up in the mornings with sore troats.

This house is meant to be non-smoking. Should we contact the Landlord and let him deal with it? He lied to us or he isnt aware?We never see the other house mate as he workd nights.

thanks in adavnce

Give him a chance to stop before going to the Landlord. And you're getting sore throats from the smoke? I find that hard to believe... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 vtec_vinni

while it is possible you would get a sore throat.. it does seem slighty unlikely.. tell him to stop smoking.. if he persists in smoking.. contact the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Spoken like a true smoker! Id be the same it would give me a sore throat too. Maybe write the guy a note asking that he either learn to open a window when smoking in his room or stop altogether.. I would find that very irritating. If you get no joy from him then go to the landlord. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Spoken like a true smoker! Id be the same it would give me a sore throat too. Maybe write the guy a note asking that he either learn to open a window when smoking in his room or stop altogether.. I would find that very irritating. If you get no joy from him then go to the landlord. Good luck with it.

Opening a window will only blow the smoke into the house, and therefore elevate the seriousness of the sore throat being experienced by the OP.

No smoking in the house at all, he knew this before moving in so he cant complain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Thanks that might be the best option . We will approach him first and see if he stops.Ya a sore throat is very common.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

John_Mc wrote: »
    Give him a chance to stop before going to the Landlord. And you're getting sore throats from the smoke? I find that hard to believe... :rolleyes:

I'd say your landlord

We had a smoker mover in with us knowing that it was a non-smoking house. He'd smoke outside and leave the door open so the smoke obviously would waft inside and up the stairs.

Smoke is an irritant and I used to get headaches from it.... and maybe that was psychosomatic, who knows.

I dont think smokers realise how irritating smoke can be to non smokers. I would never live in a smoking house.

I'd mention it to your flatmate that it's a non-smoking house - and that includes the bedrooms. If it continues, mention it to your landlord.

Ya just opening the window is not on. Its a non smoking house. I cant see us getting anywhere with him though. His english wouldnt be the best

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

i recommend Strepsils for the sore throat....and go and talk to LL straight away...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DonalN wrote: »
    i recommend Strepsils for the sore throat
    Strepsils won't cure an chemically irritated throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

id say LL is not aware of the guy smoking, and he must know he cant do it to, or else why would he only smoke in his bedroom, and not living room aswell, try to talk to him first, remind him its no smoking house, and if it persists, then maybe you could contact LL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Victor wrote: »
    Strepsils won't cure an chemically irritated throat.

oh right - well done..

they would of course numb the pain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Just say to the guy, would you mind smoking outside as the smell of smoke is getting around the house. If he says "f-off" tell him it is a non-smoking house, that's why you chose it. If he still doesn't comply get the landlord on the case.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will let you know the outcome

Advertisement