Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations on Wireless Equip

Options
  • 26-01-2009 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭

Hi,

thought I'd throw this open as I have to replace my wireless router & would be grateful for any ideas.

My house is in effect three stories (attic conversion), so the first problem I currently have is with wireless range.

My office is in the attic & the broadband line comes in at roof level, so it makes sense to keep the modem/router there & I use the ethernet connections on the router to connect 2 pc's, printer & network drive.

Middle floor has one pc, but this picks up wireless without too many problems.

Ground floor is the issue. I have a Media PC inthe lounge connected to the TV - was thinking of putting a 200Mbps Homeplug or similar to give that connectivity, but I also need wireless for a laptop & an internet radio (radio doesnt have an ethernet input).

I need a decent N1 router for the attic & was thinking of putting an equivalent router at ground floor level in access point mode, connected to the homeplug (will this work?) - run the media pc from an ethernet point on the access point, which will also give me ground floor coverage.

My existing router is a Belkin N1 & I've had stack of probs with it, so I'd go for another brand ideally. Tried connecting a Belkin range extender wirelessly to the attic router once before, but just didn't improve things, so I'm hoping to possible utilise the homplug/access point if it works.

Anyone any thoughts on the setup ? - is there a better option (cabling is out) & also, what brands actually deliver for N class....

Cheers

Andi

Comments

Advertisement