Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Spurs mugs ?

• 26-01-2009 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Are Spurs mugs for selling and then buying back two players who they sold 6 months ago and 12 months ago ? Both Defoe and likely Chimbonda return after no time away whatsoever. I cannot see the sense in it at all and they will most likely lose out financially also. Just defies logic to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

harry wanted Defoe he got him

harry wants Defoe he got him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I have supported Spurs for donkey years and the club is an embarrassment at the moment. Sold players like Keane and Malbranque who they should have held onto. Others too like Tannio should have been kept. I have no faith in Harry Redknapp and even less in Levy who is only interested in making money for the himself and the shareholders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

redout wrote: »
    Are Spurs mugs for selling and then buying back two players who they sold 6 months ago and 12 months ago ? Both Defoe and likely Chimbonda return after no time away whatsoever. I cannot see the sense in it at all and they will most likely lose out financially also. Just defies logic to me.
    Nor can I , what the hell is Chimbonda coming back for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Their league position reflects the muppets running the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Unfortunately we lack continuity and because of that harry has inherited someone else's squad that was not balanced properly last year we had a weak midfield but a great attacking side and a decent defense inmo. But this year the midfield wasn't addressed properly in the summer and we sold our attacking options so harrys just trying to put together a team that is good enough to get us back up challanging for europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yes and no. This whole thing of players being sold to other clubs, then being bought back less than a year later looks very sloppy. It shows the type of crappy decisions that were made while under the DOF regime and how they've ultimately cost the club money. Having said that, I'm happy with Defoes return and would be happy with Chimbonda as I always rated him, but where will he fit with Corluka, Hutton, and Gunter there? It seems a very odd move to be honest and I'm a bit baffled by some of the players the club has been linked with.

Still, drama on the pitch, and drama off it. Life as a Spurs fan is never dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I think the Defoe transfer made someone (not Defoe) alot of money, thats why moved. As for buying back players you sold for a higher price is stupid. How do the players that are already in the squad now feel when they do a move like that,i would say they feel not wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

tomred1 wrote: »
    I think the Defoe transfer made Harry alot of money, that why he wanted him. As for buyong back players you sold for a higher price is stupid. How do the players that are already in the squad now feel when they do a move like that,i would say they feel not wanted.

I'm not saying this as a defensive Spurs fan, but I'd be careful saying things like the first sentence there, at least do it on your own website and not someone elses...

I cannot get my head around this fcuking move, we have 3 RBs on the books [Hutton presently injured] and we're crying out for a left sided player, yet we're back in for right-sided Chimbonda, who had a mare any time he's played on the left for Spurs. It doesn't make any sense, and if I was Chris Gunter I'd be knocking on Harry's door this morning wanting answers.

The only positive from the move would be that Chimbonda would be available to play in the Uefa Cup [Corluka is ineligible] and can provide cover at CB.

As for the point re. resigning players judged surplus to requirement, Defoe was sold in January not because he wasn't wanted but because Ramos couldn't guarantee him first team football and Defoe wouldn't put sign a new contract as a result, so he was sold before he could go on a Bosman.

I have my doubts about Chimbonda's attitude, and with Redknapp making a point of saying he wants battlers at the club it's even more confusing to be honest. I can't believe Sunderland would want to sell him bak this early, without profit, unless they've decided the same. If we were to go back for a former player at Sunderland I'd prefer it was Malbranque we signed, he should never have been sold (and I'm told he was forced out by the previous regime)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Defoe's taken Spurs for a ride really. But then, they need him.

The real problem is, why sell a player, and then go and buy a direct replacement?

There's no sense of a squad at Spurs. It takes a long time for a squad to blend, this isn't Football Manager after all. (Would that it were. ^^) A great manager can I think work around problems like a squad that's not yet fully blended, moreover, a great manager given money to sign players would sign players to balance the squad whose imbalance he's complained about. Spurs have Harry Redknapp as manager.

Now I'm not saying he's a bad manager, but I'm insinuating it. With huge resources, he's achieved nothing, and he jumps ship faster than a rat with commitment issues. He's about as far from the manager Spurs need as my dog is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The real problem is, why sell a player, and then go and buy a direct replacement?

There's no sense of a squad at Spurs. It takes a long time for a squad to blend, this isn't Football Manager after all. (Would that it were. ^^) A great manager can I think work around problems like a squad that's not yet fully blended, moreover, a great manager given money to sign players would sign players to balance the squad whose imbalance he's complained about. Spurs have Harry Redknapp as manager.

Now I'm not saying he's a bad manager, but I'm insinuating it. With huge resources, he's achieved nothing, and he jumps ship faster than a rat with commitment issues. He's about as far from the manager Spurs need as my dog is.
    different managers want different things. HR wasnt involved with selling defoe at spurs. he wanted to buy him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Levy is just terrible. He should have known Berbatov would be gone in the summer and kept Defoe accordingly. He actually thought that they'd keep him somehow, which was just foolish.

different managers want different things. HR wasnt involved with selling defoe at spurs. he wanted to buy him.

But he's involved in Chimbonda being sought by Spurs, and has spent the past month destroying what little confidence his players might have by publically criticising them.

Hang on a sec, I think that's extremely harsh on Defoe. OK, he didn't sign the contract on offer, but he never complained publically or tried to undermine his manager, and IMO he garners more respect for moving to play football than opting to sit on the bench collecting his pay check for a couple of more years.

In Redknapp's defence, the signings of Defoe, Plaacios and Cudicini all address weaknesses in the squad.

PHB wrote: »
    Levy is just terrible. He should have known Berbatov would be gone in the summer and kept Defoe accordingly. He actually thought that they'd keep him somehow, which was just foolish.

He didn't really.

Both Jol and Ramos wouldn't/couldn't play Defoe and Keane together, Defoe was sold because Keane was the favoured player and so Berbatov's departure would still have to be addressed by a transfer in.

Keane's move came out of left field.

Hang on a sec, I think that's extremely harsh on Defoe. OK, he didn't sign the contract on offer, but he never complained publically or tried to undermine his manager, and IMO he garners more respect for moving to play football than opting to sit on the bench collecting his pay check for a couple of more years.
    Hmmm. Conversely - he showed no willingness to earn his place in the squad, and held his team over a barrel, refusing to sign a new contract, ergo, threatening them with the loss of a prized asset for no recompense.

As such, they were forced to sell him for less than he is/was worth.
    In Redknapp's defence, the signings of Defoe, Plaacios and Cudicini all address weaknesses in the squad.
    Absolutely. He's a competent manager.

What grates with me is that the man has the gall to complain about his position when he has one of the better squads in England, and has been given £30 million pounds to spend.

Hmmm. Conversely - he showed no willingness to earn his place in the squad

Eh, he played 2nd fiddle to Robbie Keane from as far back as November 2005.

Even when Keane went long periods without goals Defoe was still frozen out, and the one time he got an extended run in 2006/07 he was still dropped for Keane once the latter returned from injury.

I think 2 years as #3 striker counts as willingness to earn his place TBH.

Eh, he played 2nd fiddle to Robbie Keane from as far back as November 2005.

Even when Keane went long periods without goals Defoe was still frozen out, and the one time he got an extended run in 2006/07 he was still dropped for Keane once the latter returned from injury.

I think 2 years as #3 striker counts as willingness to earn his place TBH.

Was it that long?

Sorry, my interest in Spurs only goes so far to be brutally honest. Even so, he held his club over a barrel with his contract nearly out, and engineered a move to another club that netted him a very nice contract.

I'm not one of those people who'll blabber on about how it's too much money, he's greedy, etc, because I think most people would have done the exact same thing. It is after all a job, and not a game for him. He's mainly in it for the money, as most are when it comes to their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mugs? They're clearly cups.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

spurs thus far this season have out done newcastle as being the official "LOL" club of the premier league... and thats saying something considering where senor Joey Barton plys his trade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

afaik spurs didnt pay any money for Defoe, as Portsmouth had still not paid most of Defoe's, Kaboul's and Mendes' transfer fee, so they just dropped their portsmouths debt in exchange for Defoe - so its not too crazy but the chimbonda deal is just crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

spurs interested in robbie keane also apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

OPENROAD wrote: »
    spurs interested in robbie keane also apparently.

as much as i would like robbie to be a success, if they give us our money back they can have him. we could use a right winger at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

redout wrote: »
    Are Spurs mugs?

yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Chimbonda was actually decent enough for Sunderland. I'd say the primary reason they're getting rid of him is because

1. It looks like Sunderland might have over-extended themselves in the transfer market.
    2. He's dislikeable, greedy, lazy, etc.; you could probably go on all day with bad things to say about him.

One thing is clear, Chimbonda should be a much better player than he is. If anyone can get him to pull his socks up, it's Harry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Pascal's response to an interntz thread asking whether Spurs are mugs...........

sns2576aa682_424814a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

2. He's dislikeable, greedy, lazy, etc.; you could probably go on all day with bad things to say about him.

He'll fit right in at Spuds then.

Yes to the mugs question.

He'll fit right in at Spuds then.

I thought being French he'd look far more at home down the other end of the Seven Sisters Road.

Advertisement