Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest waste collection in maynooth

Options
  • 26-01-2009 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

which one has the cheapest bin collection in maynooth?

i am currently on county council bin collection
    they told me it is around 130euros (not sure)
    and plus 8euro tag for the bin.

i put out my bins once in 3 weeks..so not much of high end user

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i work for aes and they offer 4 bins, green is general waste, blue is recycling, brown is organic and a glass bin aswell, the green is collected this week, next week will be blue and brown, then green again next week, the glass is collected the first week of each month
    green is €6.20 per collection, brown is €3 per collection and the blue and glass are free, pm me if ya want the number for the rep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I have found Thorntons to be the cheapest myself, which is why I use them.

It's €280 a year, they give you big bins, they are collected weekly. One flat fee, three bins (green/recycling, brown/compost, black/rubbish), pay once and yer done. (http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie/)

Allied charges €329 for the same service and they only collect every two weeks. (http://www.alliedwaste.ie/)

The County Council charges €185, but then charge like €8 per collection, and if you have them collect it every week that totals €416 making it €601 for the year.

* Standard 240 litre bin: €185 plus €8 tag
    * Small 140 litre bin: €140 plus €5.50 tag

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Environment/Recycle/GreenBinRecycling/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

With Thorntons it's based on your usage too. They average out your prior year's weight in the black bin to calculate your current year charges. They have 4 weight/charge bands iirc. I'm with them too. An AES rep called to the door last week and I'm considering changing. I just need to do my calculations and see if they'll be cheaper for me. I do like that they do a glass collection too - only one that does.

There's O'Hagan's as well but I've no idea of their charges.

Macros42 wrote: »
    With Thorntons it's based on your usage too. They average out your prior year's weight in the black bin to calculate your current year charges. They have 4 weight/charge bands iirc. I'm with them too. An AES rep called to the door last week and I'm considering changing. I just need to do my calculations and see if they'll be cheaper for me. I do like that they do a glass collection too - only one that does.

There's O'Hagan's as well but I've no idea of their charges.
    did the rep have glasses:D
    i collect all the aes bins in north kildare, they have only started collections around the area over the last 2 or 3 months

Don't recall tbh. I was getting my twin daughters ready for bed when you/he called ... ring a bell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

With Thorntons it's based on your usage too. They average out your prior year's weight in the black bin to calculate your current year charges. They have 4 weight/charge bands iirc.

Thats optional. After one year they give you the option to pay by weight, or stick with the flat fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭shazza07

guil07 wrote: »
    i work for aes and they offer 4 bins, green is general waste, blue is recycling, brown is organic and a glass bin aswell, the green is collected this week, next week will be blue and brown, then green again next week, the glass is collected the first week of each month
    green is €6.20 per collection, brown is €3 per collection and the blue and glass are free, pm me if ya want the number for the rep

I'm from Prosperous and phoned AES yesterday, woman on phone gave these figures but also said they're was a flat fee of €148 (feb - dec) on top of paying €6.40 per green bin, which I worked out that if you got your green bin collected every week & paid yearly fee it comes to €480.
    I am with O Hagan's at the moment and it costs me €380 per year and thats green bin collected weekly & blue bin every 2nd week but they don't have glass bin..

Don't recall tbh. I was getting my twin daughters ready for bed when you/he called ... ring a bell?
    i'm not the rep, just the truck driver:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

CptSternn wrote: »
    Thats optional. After one year they give you the option to pay by weight, or stick with the flat fee.

I'm on the heaviest band, its 365 euro.
    Do you think they would let me pay the flat fee instead? ;)

shazza07 wrote: »
    I'm from Prosperous and phoned AES yesterday, woman on phone gave these figures but also said they're was a flat fee of €148 (feb - dec) on top of paying €6.40 per green bin, which I worked out that if you got your green bin collected every week & paid yearly fee it comes to €480.
    I am with O Hagan's at the moment and it costs me €380 per year and thats green bin collected weekly & blue bin every 2nd week but they don't have glass bin..
    really i didnt know there was a yearly fee,
    not sure what day ur bin would be collected but this week all morth kildare is green, next week is blue and brown, if ya empty all ur bins over a fortnight would cost €9.40, the green is every second week, ur only charged when its collected aswell, each bin is chipped and tied to ur account
    so for the year it would be €9.40*26=€244.40+€148= €392.40
    alot of the customers dont empty the bins every week either so ya could save that way to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Allied collect the standard (large size) bin every week, its just the blue bin that is bi-weekly. Good value for the service IMO.

aes used to do the same before they brought in the brown bins, they would need a lot of new trucks and drivers/helpers to keep it that way, the trucks are a bit over a quarter of a million each

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

I am with aes after been with CC

You will hardly ever put out the green bin and more often you will have the brown and blue bin out. So bins are very little.

Depends on how often you put your bin out

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

I'm with Aes in kildare too. Using the pay by lift with the recycling bin and the general waste bin every week would cost 314 per year including the 148 charge. As you generally don't leave the bin out every week especially with holidays, it will work out cheaper than that and the max weight per bin is 60 kilos which is cheaper than Thorntons on a weight basis. I also use the brown bin which takes an awfully long time to fill and only costs 3 euro a lift. It's also nice to know that not everything is going to landfill.....but composting as well

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭MickH503

guil wrote: »
    Is this http://www.aesirl.ie the same company you're talking about? The site doesn't mention that they cover Maynooth ... do you know if they do? I like the idea of a brown bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

im moving from county council to AES now.
    i have stuff in my cc bin.
    do i have to empty and give them the empty bins when the guys come to take away the cc bins?
    pls advice?

mickh503 - yeah its the same company, if ya pm me i'll give ya the reps number

bittihuduga - pm me ur address and i'll keep an eye out for it

guil wrote: »
    mickh503 - yeah its the same company, if ya pm me i'll give ya the reps number
    Thanks Guil, but I signed up with Thorntons after all ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I was with AES, now with Thorntons. Thorntons guarantee 280 for the first year and by weight after that, though they claim most people end up in the 280 euro band.

I had no problems with AES though, they were 32 euro flat fee a month which worked out at over 360 a year. I didn't realise that AES had a pay by lift system, but I don't think it would have worked out cheaper.

I really don't understand why people still use the CC - buying bin tags should be consigned to the past.

Hey Guil - I cancelled AES about 4 months ago and they still haven't picked up the bins, despite multiple reminders. Any ideas? They are sitting outside waiting to be picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

Yes they serve Maynooth, I live there and I signed up to them 3 weeks ago.I have only put my green bin out once and it prob wont go out again for another 3 weeks as we recycle so much and the compost bin is great too and takes ages to fill up, not even quarter full yet and we do alot of cooking from scratch so plenty of food waste to go into it.

The glass container has taken 50 beer bottles so far & counting which is also great if you dont have the time to run down the bottle bank!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kaie89

hei,
    Can anybody tell me what actually goes into the green bin? general waste,but what does it mean.Im doing the garbage sorting first time so I dont really know.
    Thanks for help.:)

Anything recylable - paper, cardboard, tins (washed), cans, some accept plastic bottles.

kaie89 wrote: »
    hei,
    Can anybody tell me what actually goes into the green bin? general waste,but what does it mean.Im doing the garbage sorting first time so I dont really know.
    Thanks for help.:)
    Hei,
    Some info can be found below on two different waste collection companies ...

Kildare County Council:
    http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Environment/Recycle/GreenBinRecycling/

Thorntons:
    http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie/e_greenbin.php

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I priced them recently and THorntons were the cheapest by a good bit.

Kaie89 - did you not get the leaflet with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

i'm with AES and its going well

we would not have the bins out every time

using recycling, but the brown bin in particular, will reduce the amount in the regular rubbish quite dramatically in my experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kaie89

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I priced them recently and THorntons were the cheapest by a good bit.

Kaie89 - did you not get the leaflet with it?

Im in AES,I got a leaflet what to but in blue recycling bin and in brown organic bin but not what goes into green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

I am with AES in Limerick. paid them over a month ago.
    Have not had a bin collected since than.
    Trying to get my money back for the last week and they keep
    On telling me that the accounts person to deal with this is in meetings.
    And that person has not had the decency to call me back.
    This company does not care one bit about its customers.:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

kaie89 wrote: »
    Im in AES,I got a leaflet what to but in blue recycling bin and in brown organic bin but not what goes into green bin.

I would assume everything else that doesn't go in the blue or brown then.

Anything recylable - paper, cardboard, tins (washed), cans, some accept plastic bottles.
    different companies use different colours, with AES green is general waste, blue is recycling and brown is compostable materials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Just switched over to AES. Nice shiny new bins came yesterday. I'm just wondering do people put waste directly into the brown bin or do you put it in a bag first. Up until now I've just had the normal and recycling bin with the Co. Council. I keep all recycling rubbish in paper bags before putting into the bin should I do the same with the organic waste?

Advertisement