Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest waste collection in maynooth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

namurt wrote: »
    Just switched over to AES. Nice shiny new bins came yesterday. I'm just wondering do people put waste directly into the brown bin or do you put it in a bag first. Up until now I've just had the normal and recycling bin with the Co. Council. I keep all recycling rubbish in paper bags before putting into the bin should I do the same with the organic waste?

you can get compostable/green bags for food rubbish

alternatively paper bags would do as they would breakdown too

I was advised by aes rep to put some cardboard at the bottom of the bin also to help keep clean

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Thanks for that. I meant to ask them what they recommend when I phoned earlier but forgot.

Think I'll get the bags because otherwise I'd imagine both the bin in the house and the outside bin would be very hard to keep clean.

Thanks for that. I meant to ask them what they recommend when I phoned earlier but forgot.

Think I'll get the bags because otherwise I'd imagine both the bin in the house and the outside bin would be very hard to keep clean.

yes, after a while of messing about we bought a bin for the house that is divided into two compartments, one specifically designed for their compostable bag size

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I think the new pay as you go system with Thorntons is the cheapest for low volume domestic waste as in my case. I reckon I'll be able to do it for less that €100 per annum.

€7.98 per pickup for the 240 litre grey domestic waste bin, Green recycling bin is free and brown compost bin is €3.98 per pickup.

There are no other charges and all you have to do is make sure your account is in credit the same as for a mobile phone. You can top up your account on line.

I didn't start using the "pay as you go" system yet but a neighbour of mine is since January and they are the only charges according to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Joe Public wrote: »
    I think the new pay as you go system with Thorntons is the cheapest for low volume domestic waste as in my case. I reckon I'll be able to do it for less that €100 per annum.

€7.98 per pickup for the 240 litre grey domestic waste bin, Green recycling bin is free and brown compost bin is €3.98 per pickup.

There are no other charges and all you have to do is make sure your account is in credit the same as for a mobile phone. You can top up your account on line.

I didn't start using the "pay as you go" system yet but a neighbour of mine is since January and they are the only charges according to them.
    it says on the website that pay by lift is only available in dublin

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    it says on the website that pay by lift is only available in dublin

Have a look under the "Meath and Kildare Customers" section here
    http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie/domestic-introduction

and you will find
    "Thorntons will be offering the Pay as You Go method to customers during 2011. "

ah never saw that, just skipped over it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mad hatters

I've recently changed to Thorntons Recycling and I need to get rid of the old county councils bins.. I 've tried ringing the Kildare County Council but I keep getting voicemails.

Any idea's where to get rid of them in Maynooth?

I phoned Kildare County council and they said the bins had to be empty before they picked them up, so I've to ring back after the collection this week. I asked could they not just make a note to take the bin with them when they empty it but she said no, I have to ring back. I now have 5 bins outside the house!

The people who empty the bins have no way of taking away the bins, collecting and dropping empty bins is done separately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i just emailed them for cancellation of my account and take back the empty bins which they did promptly in 2weeks time. try it.

Riskymove wrote: »
    yes, after a while of messing about we bought a bin for the house that is divided into two compartments, one specifically designed for their compostable bag size

can you please suggest where to buy the compostable bin bags?

can you please suggest where to buy the compostable bin bags?

they are generally sold in most supermarkets

I bought a Branbia bin and if I want to get the branbia bags made specifically for that size bin, they are sold in woodies and superquinn

Hi Joe Public,

The reason I asked could they not take it was because just before Christmas they took my bin by mistake (apparently it ended up in the dump truck) and I had to get a new one.

Makes sense that it would normally be done seperately though.

Bittihuduga, I got the bags in Tesco the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Just get a mate to run your garbage over to Kerdiffstown and chuck it wherever you like for free. Seems to have worked out well for all the others that were doing it and they saved a fortune not having to meet all those pesky rules and red tape. :rolleyes: I find AES to be quite good, on a more seriouse note. Collections can be a bit erratic time wise though.

Hi Joe Public,

The reason I asked could they not take it was because just before Christmas they took my bin by mistake (apparently it ended up in the dump truck) and I had to get a new one.

Makes sense that it would normally be done seperately though.

Bittihuduga, I got the bags in Tesco the other day.
    of course they can take them and will most of the time if ya ask them
    bins fall into the back all the time so its no big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

guil wrote: »
    i work for aes and they offer 4 bins, green is general waste, blue is recycling, brown is organic and a glass bin aswell, the green is collected this week, next week will be blue and brown, then green again next week, the glass is collected the first week of each month
    green is €6.20 per collection, brown is €3 per collection and the blue and glass are free, pm me if ya want the number for the rep

Guil, can You please let us know the email address for AES? I have serious issues with Your accounting 'dept' ( no complaints about the bin collection). I emailed them yesterday, and would have expected some sort of response by end of business today, but nothing. I used the email address stated on the 'invoice' for 2011 ( info@aesirl.ie ).

AES have some serious DISsatisfied customers in our estate in Newbridge right now.

hi i dont know any email address other than the one ya mentioned, have ya tried ringing on 045-439900

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

I might as well jump in here. I'm extremely dissatisfied with AES and their alleged green bin collection in Celbridge, our experience of which goes something like this:
    • Leave green bin out on Sunday night for Monday morning collection;
    • Bin not collected;
    • Ring AES - "oh yeah leave it out tonight"
    • Leave bin out
    • Bin not collected;
    • Leave bin out
    • Bin not collected;
    • Leave bin out
    • Bin eventually collected, sometimes a week later.
    • Following week, leave green bin out on Sunday night for Monday morning collection.
    And so on...

Very poor service.

:mad:

Also sent them an e-mail on Monday afternoon, reply due in "1-2 business days", no reply yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I find Mahons to be excellent, and get great service whenever I ring, there's a lady dealing with their accounts section who is a gem to deal with.

• Advertisement

AES are doing fine so far in Maynooth

Does anyone know if refuse trucks are not allowed operate before a certain time in the morning. I hear some neighbours complaining of trucks waking them up at 5.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Joe Public wrote: »
    Does anyone know if refuse trucks are not allowed operate before a certain time in the morning. I hear some neighbours complaining of trucks waking them up at 5.30am.

when i moved to Kildare I got onto the council about why are trucks coming around at 4am and rubbish collecting is not a quiet thing

response was it has always been that way and it is easier for the trucks to get around at that time.

i thought during the day would be easier since less cars in the estate.

before christmas KCC sent a memo to all the operators in county kildare saying we were not to be in estates before 5am

it's generally quicker to get around in the mornings because there is no traffic in the estates and very little people around

Advertisement