Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scones

• 26-01-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got a good recipe for nice, light fluffy scones? I had a Sophie Grisgon book a while back which had a good one in it, but I've lost it :(
    My Mum insists on making her own recipe, while she's a good cook - these ones are awful. They're too hard and they don't rise well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

The readers digest scrapbook has an excellent one.
    From memory it is 8oz self-raising flour
    2oz butter
    1oz caster sugar
    1teaspoon baking powder (even with self raising)
    full fat milk as needed

sieve in flour, rub in butter until breadcrumbs. Add sugar and flour. Stir in a drop of milk, repeat until beginning to come together. Use your hand to bring it into one - should be slightly crumbly. Use minimum of flour on board and rolling pin. I use the smallest cutter I can find. Glaze with milk. Bake in a gas mark 6 oven for about 15 mins (i do 7 and 7 then turn them over if they still need to dry a little more)
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I made Bill Granger ones at the weekend, here's the recipe:

Ingredients
    For the scones:
    1 tbsp icing sugar
    310g/11oz plain flour
    1½ tbsp baking powder
    pinch of salt
    250ml/9fl oz milk
    30g/1oz butter, melted

Method
    1. To make the scones preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Sift the icing sugar, flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, add the milk and butter and knead into a dough. Roll out to 3cm/1in thick on a floured surface, then using the rim of a glass, cut out 5cm/2in wide rounds and place on a greased baking tray. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden.

The were lovely and light. Only thing is that I needed to leave them in the over about 12-14 minutes...

Advertisement