Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animation. How to get in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gapmunky

i did my leaving last year i took the year out to work on portfolio as i bever did art in school! i got 440 points

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

gapmunky wrote: »
    i did my leaving last year i took the year out to work on portfolio as i bever did art in school! i got 440 points

OK so if you got 600 for your portfolio and 440 for your leaving you have a total score of 1,040 which as you can see from the points below would easily get you in over the last four years.

2008 630 Points
    2007 645 Points
    2006 699 Points
    2005 645 Points

If the 600 you mentioned was a you score already combined (i.e. 440 from LC and 160 from portfolio it wouldn't be looking good).

Just for the record, no one can tell for sure what will happen with points so there are no guarantees. I have a feeling that points in general may go up this year as more people lose their jobs and decide to go back to college. Although this may be more apparent in level 9 (Masters and Post Grad Diplomas) and Level 10 (PHD).

Bottom line - if you're sitting on 1,040 I'd be very surprised if you weren't on campus come September.

Nope wasnt already combined, my total was 1,040!you dont pass a portfolio if you dont get over 200 points in it! hope i do get in!

Nope wasnt already combined, my total was 1,040!you dont pass a portfolio if you dont get over 200 points in it! hope i do get in!

Honestly, it would take something ridiculous to happen not to get in on those points.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

Oh sh!t 600 points on your portfolio, that's like... O_O
    Would you mind showing us some of your works? And what course are you taking?

Just a question, on Monday I'm going into IADT for 2 weeks for the animation portfolio preparation course, and I was wondering if I got the bus (from Cavan) to Dublin Bus Station OR O' Connel street, how do I get to IADT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Just a question, on Monday I'm going into IADT for 2 weeks for the animation portfolio preparation course, and I was wondering if I got the bus (from Cavan) to Dublin Bus Station OR O' Connel street, how do I get to IADT?

With your back to the river, there is a bus top on the right-hand side of O'Connel street, the 46a. It'll take you to Bakers Corner which is just down the road from IADT.

iadthottogetto.jpg

Congrats on the score gapmunky, 600 in your portfolio gives you a great chance to get in. Good luck.

Thank you very much for your help!!
    Does the DART also take you there? And it's much faster right?
    How would you get there with the DART? >_<

Because when I arrive to Dublin it'll be already 9am and the course starts at 10am, so I'd want to be kinda early~ Damn Dx

Thank you very much for your help!!
    Does the DART also take you there? And it's much faster right?
    How would you get there with the DART? >_<

Because when I arrive to Dublin it'll be already 9am and the course starts at 10am, so I'd want to be kinda early~ Damn Dx

The 46a should get you there on time unless traffic is particularly bad. The DART only goes into Dun Laoghaire town unfortunately and is another bus journey (the 46a again) from there to IADT.

Do you know where in the college your class is on?

[edit]: If you don't know where the room is where you're doing your course, drop the question in here and someone will help you.

[edit2]: Did up a map to the main animation area. In through the main Quadrangle doors, turn left, past the bathrooms and through two sets of double-doors, turn left, up stairs and left again. That's the 1st, 2nd and 3rd year animation studios.

mapagainagain.png

If it's there, great. If it's not, drop a question.

Ah thanks Rhyme! About how long will the 46a take? I'd want to get there about half an hour early or something >_<
    Ah thanks a lot for the map! And yes it's in the aniimation studio ^^ When I get in the college, would there be a map there to show me how I get in the studio?

Also I want to ask about the animation portfolio, you know the visual diaries, how many would you need? And is it only rough works/how your ideas develope that they're looking for?

Ah thanks Rhyme! About how long will the 46a take? I'd want to get there about half an hour early or something >_<
    Ah thanks a lot for the map! And yes it's in the aniimation studio ^^ When I get in the college, would there be a map there to show me how I get in the studio?

Also I want to ask about the animation portfolio, you know the visual diaries, how many would you need? And is it only rough works/how your ideas develope that they're looking for?

It depends on the time of day. Maybe 35 minutes, maybe 40... the longest it should take is 50 minutes.

When you enter the Quadrangle building from the Atrium/Canteen (chapel on left, big hall on right) on the right hand wall there is a map. It's the same one as the one I linked to (without the scribbles). But pretty much as soon as you go up those stairs I mentioned and turn left through the door, you'll enter a large room separated by partitions. Each of the separate areas is an animation studio (1st, 2nd and 3rd year).

As for the visual diaries, I really don't know. Some of the other members on the forum might offer a better answer but from what I gather, it's how your ideas develop and are maintained through further development and storyboards. Ask whoever is teaching the course, there's a chance that the person teaching you is the person who assesses the portfolios for Animation.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if the Summer courses are in the regular rooms (they might be). But usually everyone is pointed to a registration desk in the Main Atrium Building and then directed to their workshop.

atgate wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the Summer courses are in the regular rooms (they might be). But usually everyone is pointed to a registration desk in the Main Atrium Building and then directed to their workshop.

Ah, I didn't know that.

Go there zeroonetwothree :)

Thank you very much for the help everyone!

Thanks atgate, ok I'll just hang around in there until 10am xD

Is there a discount on the Dublin Bus (46a) when you travel on it for 5 days? And do they have return tickets?

[edit]
    Oh hold on... it said on the website's timetable that the 46a bus takes about one hour to get to Dun Laoghaire! Would I be safer time wise on the dart? (faster?) Because I arrive in Dublin a little past 9am and I'd want to be at least 15 minutes earlier (9:50am) in the college.
    Dammit >_<

Thank you very much for the help everyone!

Thanks atgate, ok I'll just hang around in there until 10am xD

Is there a discount on the Dublin Bus (46a) when you travel on it for 5 days? And do they have return tickets?

[edit]
    Oh hold on... it said on the website's timetable that the 46a bus takes about one hour to get to Dun Laoghaire! Would I be safer time wise on the dart? (faster?) Because I arrive in Dublin a little past 9am and I'd want to be at least 15 minutes earlier (9:50am) in the college.
    Dammit >_<

Dart is deffo not faster (unless you live on the dart line) You'd have to get from Bus station to Dart station 10 mins, wait maybe up to 15 mins, 30 min dart time to Dun Laoghaire, wait 3 mins for 46a and then 10 mins or so to get to college (68 mins approx). The 46a will be working against the traffic so you should be fine and make it in 45 mins.

Haven't got a clue about bus prices - but by the power of google (if you have a student travel card):

Student 5 Day Rambler €15.00 (don't think its good for dart)
    Valid for unlimited travel for 5 non consecutive days
    Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Xpresso (excluding Airlink, Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
    Student Travelcard required

If you have no travel card I'd recommend:

10 Journey Travel 90 Adult €18.00
    Valid for 10 journeys of 90 minutes unlimited travel
    Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Xpresso (excluding Airlink, Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
    No CIE photo ID required

Dublin Bus don't do return fares (I don't think they do anyway).

yeah i got the 46A about 20 times when i did the portfolio course it doesnt take an hour its about 35 mins, that was from the side of trinity!

Thanks guys!

Well today me and my friends got the taxi LOL (cost €22+ @_@) because a friend was late so the taxi was the fastest option.

I got lost twice on the way to the animation studio TT___TT

Don't worry. It takes undergrads a few weeks to get the hang of the place. Make sure to take a couple of mins in the new garden in the orchard at the back of the quadrangle building.

Like atgate said, don't worry about losing your way.

The first year VAP studios are some of the easiest to find rooms in the Quadrangle and I still spent time getting lost. Still, the times I was lost was spent finding other places :)

New garden? I'll have to create a free day sometime soon to see it, sounds good.

that recent basketball court is cool too n__n

got a letter yesterday saying i didnt get in! then after many phone calls it seems there was a big mix up and i got in after all! YAY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Wow, you must've shat a brick wall! What was your second choice?

bricks were shat indeed! my other choices were Ballyfermot and Cholaiste Dhulaigh which aren't applied through the CAO so i already knew i got into them! But Both are PLC's so i wouldn't have been able to get a grant, and i hear nothing but bad things about Dhulaigh!

bricks were shat indeed! my other choices were Ballyfermot and Cholaiste Dhulaigh which aren't applied through the CAO so i already knew i got into them! But Both are PLC's so i wouldn't have been able to get a grant, and i hear nothing but bad things about Dhulaigh!
    Dhulaigh is a weird enough place alright, I would recommend the place for indecisive people or as a gateway to better courses.

I guy I met while filming a few weeks back had done the animation course in Dhulaigh. He liked the course but felt he needed more. He moved over the England and completed a few years in CoW (to cap off his qualification).

From what i've heard and seen, the animation course in IADT is excellent and quite intensive. If you can keep on top of your work (and your game) you'll have a blast :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thebattletheme

Congrats on getting in, gapmunky! You're going to love it, as long as you don't mind hard work and sleepless nights xD
    I'm heading into third year, so I'll see you around!

Hello, I'm back again xD

I was just looking for some help with my animation portfolio in IADT...
    Well, so far I have one notebook (with life drawing, still life, etc) and some finished pieces (mostly projects from school, A2). It's due in at the end of March.
    My plan is:

Notebook 1: Life drawing, still life, landscapes, etc
    Notebook 2: Kinda my own ideas, anime stuff, ideas for storyboard
    Finish pieced (A2) (10 pieces?): 3 storyboards, 3 finish pieces (posters I done in school, is very anime-ish), 2 life drawings, 2 still life

Is that ok? Do I need to include anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 murkrow

Hey!
    First things first, too much anime is a bad idea. You're probably sick of hearing this, but try and mess around with different styles. They get so much anime-orientated portfolios every year that you'll really want to stand out.
    If you do have a lot of anime stuff already, don't worry, but definitely stay away from fanart, unless you think it's kickass enough to stand on its own.
    Still life doesn't matter too much, but life drawing is really important. Have lots of quick gestures. Mike Mattesi's book "Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators" is amazing, especially if you're not sure how to go from LC life drawing, to what you'll be doing in the course.

The way I'd do it would probably be:
    Notebook 1: life drawing (humans and animals) and still life
    Notebook 2: concept stuff
    Finished pieces: 3 storyboards, your 3 posters, 4-10 life drawings

Hope that helps any bit.

Thanks so much!

Nah I don't have fanart, most of the anime stuff is my own ideas.
    Are two notebooks and then about 15 finished pieces enough?

Thank you so much for your help ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 murkrow

It's not so much about the quantity, but the quality I guess. If you have those 15 pieces and you still think it's lacking, then you could always put in Still Lifes you did for your pres or whatever. But 15 should usually be enough. As long as you've got your storyboards and life drawing!

By the way! When I say up to 10 life drawings, I don't mean 10 finished masterpieces, a few of them could be collections of small, quick drawings photoshopped together onto one sheet.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 R0B0T_R0CK

Help!
    Sent dad out to get me a portfolio case
    Gave him the size and everything
    He came back with A1!
    Is that like waay too big? Cause i really dont wanna have to ask for another one!
    Like sure some of my posters are big but might A1 be too big??
    I dont wanna walk in and them be like :eek:
    Its probably a rookie question but i dont know anyone else doing a portfolio so i dont know what size they should be :S

Anyone?

Plus im scared some of my stuff mght be too vis.com.ish
    Any tips? :o

• Advertisement

A1 is perfect, it's the size of pretty much all of the portfolios submitted to IADT (at least in the last three years)

As for tips of content, murkrows posts earlier in the thread should make for a good guideline.

Advertisement