Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Quote Billy Joel 'I'm Movin' Out'.... Qs

Options
  • 26-01-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭

OK good folks, the missus and myself are moving out in a few days and we'll have to sort out some finer points with the landlord when he comes up to give us our deposit back and take the keys from us.

After we moved in about 18 months ago there was a major cockroach problem in the flat (possibly the reason the previous tenants moved out?). It took six weeks to try and contact the landlord and nothing was done about it by him. The management company sent out pest control and I had to pay €115 to them. The landlord said he would pay me this back but never did, I kept the receipt.

Anyway in Oct 08 they reared their ugly heads again. Landlord was told and we were told he was researching some product from america that would solve the problem. 1-2 weeks later he had done nothing about it and pest control was called again, €45 this time, receipt kept.

I presume I'll be within my right to look for this money back from him? Also when we moved in we were only given one set of keys and none to the bikeshed. I had to get a set cut for the girlfriend and buy bikeshed keys from the management company, this came to about €20-25.
    Would I be right in looking for this back from him or do I hold onto them if I don't get the price of them back?

I don't mean to seem mean but he was a useless landlord who did nothing and I want as much back from him as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think you're probably on your own with the keys (for example, I don't imagine most places don't give everyone bike shed keys unless they ask and pay for them specifically) but the pest control should definitely be paid for IMO, that would seriously affect the quality of the accomodation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

He should pay for the pest control, and I'd come to a deal on the keys. The landlord won't give a sh*t if he doesn't get them, but you may be able to get something for them (after all you got the utility of the bikeshed out of them while there).

I'd nearly say look for €50-55, give him the keys and be shot of the place. (also nicer for the next tenant).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I don't think you'll see the key money. You're at risk of not seeing the pest control money as well. The management company will wash their hands of everything once you move out and you'll be left calling the landlord who'll be even more elusive than before. Make sure you know his address before you leave so you can pester him for it. Good luck.

BTW, did you get the place in Kirwin street?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hi grizzly,

The management company haven't been involved with anything since the first cockroach issue over 18 months ago. Getting it was such a farce that the landlord and letting agent parted company blaming each other. Ever since that time I've been in contact directly with the landlord. The only time he came to the apartment was to fix the lamp in the bathroom.

I thought key money would be a no go alright and I'm not to worried about that. Instead of looking for money for the extra 3 keys perhaps I can just refuse to give them to him? After all the lease was signed by both the girlfriend and myself yet only one set of keys was supplied.

In relation to the pest control money could I simply refuse to hand over the keys until he coughs up OR would it be a case of reporting him to the PRTB- would that achieve anything?

We didn't go for the place in Kirwan street in the end as we could hear folk in the adjoining cottages through the living room walls. We ended up finding a small but cool detached house in Stoneybatter. We're moving in this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The landlord will have his own set of keys, he probably doesn't even know you took a copy/got access to the bikeshed, and as I said, even if he does, likely won't care, it'll be up to the next tenant to get them cut again.

PRTB is a long slow process, and best avoided unless you have to (esp. for such a small amount), are you even PRTB registered in the first place? I think the word of the day is "negotiate". :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

You are not allowed to cut copies of the keys without his permission. You should really have demanded a set at the very beginning. Wouldnt say its unreasonable of him to not want copies of his keys floating around. Anyway do your best to get what you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

Have you the last month's rent paid? If not then take the amount owed to you off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

We've paid the rent alright. I believe in everything being above board and ship shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

We've done it before and had it agreed with the landlord before we make the deduction. If the landlord didn't want us to make the deduction that way I would be suspicious of his motives.

Advertisement