Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Sign Cudicini

• 26-01-2009 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

Tottenham Hotspur have signed Carlo Cudicini from Chelsea on a free transfer. Thats alot better than what they paid for Gomez in the summer.
    So who is going to be number 1?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Has to be Cudicini. he's a good keeper, while Gomez is simply sh!t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If true it is a good bit of business. Carlo could have another three years or so at a decent level given that keepers can play well right up to the 40 mark. Real competition for Gomes can only make him better and it will be nice to have a proven option to turn too as opposed to Alnwick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

who's Chelsea's backup no.1?

Gomez has been in good form since his terrible start but now has an injury and Spurs have no decent backup so id imagine Carlo is getting a nice sign on fee to replace quality backup and push Gomez into continuing his good form. From a Chelsea point of view though it doesent make much sense unless a la Bridge's move they have a Young replacement who's development they would rather continue than have him hamperd by getting no game time ever as 3rd choice.

• Advertisement

will it be Henrique Hilario?
    http://www.chelseafc.com/page/PlayerProfileDetail/0,,10268~36453,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

fullstop wrote: »
    while Gomez is simply sh!t

Nonsense, it is clear you've not watched much of Spurs in the last two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Cudicini will be number one I'd be very sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i think Gomez is a very good shot stopper but he's prone to fatal mistakes and he's decision making is questionable

he reminds me of Reina

not todays Reina but when Reina came to liverpool first

Reina does make mistakes some-times but you dont see them as much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

i think Gomez is a very good shot stopper but he's prone to fatal mistakes and he's decision making is questionable

he reminds me of Reina

not todays Reina but when Reina came to liverpool first

Reina does make mistakes some-times but you dont see them as much

Yeah that's why I think it has to be Cudicini for the rest of this season at least - Spurs can't afford to drop any more points due to crap goalkeeping.

Gomes may be good when he settles in fully, but he's a luxury/liability Spurs can't afford at this stage...

• Advertisement

We shall see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

With a real goal keeper Spurs have a great chance of staying up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Has not played 1st football in ages.
    I have my doubts but Spurs are good enough elsewhere to stay up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Tbh I'd be very surprised if Gomes doesn't stay as No.1. I feel he's been superb since the Fulham game and has made up for those costly mistakes by turning our steady performance after steady performance. I'm delighted with Cudicini as I always rated him but I hope Gomes keeps his place.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    With a real goal keeper Spurs have a great chance of staying up now.

6 goals scored in our last 10 league games.

2 scored in our last 6.

9 goals conceded in those 10 games, including 4 clean sheets.

Something tells me it's not the goalkeepers fault we've got only 21 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Actually, I have. He's awful at dealing with crosses and corners and is prone to howlers as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

We're getting Marco Storari in on loan for the end of the season I think which ain't bad.

If this was three years ago it would have been a phenomenal signing but this Cudicini is a poor reflection on the one who got his place unfairly robbed because we strengthened our strongest position when we first got money.I have felt nervous every time I've seen him in goal for us the past few seasons. I really hope he gets back to his old self but I wouldn't be confident of it. Also, I can't believe we gave him away for free when Man City wanted him as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Hmm, interested to see how he will do tbh. Whenever he's played for Chelsea over the last two years he's been looking dodgy.

LOL at the people slating Gomes. He's really picked up his game the past 8 or so games. Looks a lot more assured. Just took him a while to settle in(albeit a horrendous time)

At least they wont have to rely on Ben Alnwick anymore, he has had a dodgy few games to forget in the past couple of weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

was in bremen a couple of months ago and was hanging around with some PSV/Ajax fans after a match. The PSV fans said Gomes is one of the best keepers in the world, they said he was sh1t for his first 6/9 months at PSV but once he settled he was top class and the Ajax guys said they couldnt disagree. so i really want to see him given more of a chance, from what i have seen so far his decision making has been questionable but his shot stopping is brilliant so I hope cudicini isnt being brought in as a new number 1...
    fullstop wrote: »
    Actually, I have. He's awful at dealing with crosses and corners and is prone to howlers as well

tbh i can only recall one howler from him in the last 3 months or so, cant remember the game though.

• Advertisement

was in bremen a couple of months ago and was hanging around with some PSV/Ajax fans after a match. The PSV fans said Gomes is one of the best keepers in the world, they said he was sh1t for his first 6/9 months at PSV but once he settled he was top class and the Ajax guys said they couldnt disagree.

I believe Guus Hiidink said something very similar about him late last year, said they had considered letting him go in his first six months but decided to persevere with him, and he said Gomes was one of the main reasons PSV made it to a CL semi-final. His overall record in Holland was outstanding.
    tbh i can only recall one howler from him in the last 3 months or so, cant remember the game though.

The last goal that could be laid at his feet was vs Fulham in November, when he was at the very bottom of the dip in his performance, since then he has been very solid. He made one mistake against Pompey last weekend but recovered brilliantly to smother Crouch's second effort. Of course, the media would have you believe he is butterfingers incarnate, with even the BBC reporting:
    At the other end, a Heurelho Gomes fumble almost let in Peter Crouch

From that game, omitting the recovery I mentioned above.

Tony Parks' arrival at Spurs as GK coach has seen a marked improvement in the Brazilian's form, I'd be very disappointed to see him lose his place to Cudicini when the Italian realistically has 3 years ahead of him, while Gomes has 10+.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sparky14

Cudicini is in decline due to age and lack of games, but will be very capable back up. Gomes has been in excellent form of late, gone are the mistimed charges at setpieces. Gomes will be 1st choice, unless Cudicini really takes his chance while Gomes is out injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Excellent signing imo. I think Gomes' reputation will always precede him, and if nothing else, this gives Harry an out when people want to point the finger at Gomes.

As free transfers go, this could prove to be one of the best in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

When Carlo has had a run of games for Chelsea he has been top class. He is one of the best keepers in the prem and would walk into many other pre teams. A lack of games and somewhat blunted him in recent seasons but if he got a run in the spurs side i think he would be a great signing. 35, not a bad age for a keeper.

Wish him the best of luck, he was a legend in the Chelsea posts and only surpassed by one of the best in teh world in Cech. Shame he went to spurs though!

Advertisement