Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-plumbed using solid fuel stove

Options
  • 26-01-2009 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently replumbed my house and got a multi fuel stove in. Now I paid a serious amount to get the house (bunglow aprox 20 ysrs old) re-plumbed
    and the damn house is still cold. The plumber came back adn pressure tested and reckons that that tehre is no leak. Now teh stove is to suit 12-14 radiators and I have 11 rads wit a towel rail and not all of the rads are on. So my neighbour cam in to have a look and he reckons that the cylinder should be raised apro 2/3ft off the ground for teh water to be pumped around! Now I am severily pissed off but can any1 shed any light on this cos Im about to pull my hair out at this stage! Especially as the flipping money I paid out!

Many thanks

Lil-b

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Has the system been balanced properly? It's possible that too much or the hot water output from the boiler is going through the heating coil in the cylinder. The first step to finding out is to close in the valve on the bottom coil pipe (about a third of the way up from the bottom of the cylinder. Close it to about half a turn open. Then check the outlet valves from the radiators -- those are the valves with caps that don't turn. If they are all wide open, see which radiators are the hottest and close those outlet valves in until you get the desired heat from the remainder. Also, if you have a pressurised system, ensure that the pressure is not less than 1 bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi all,

I recently replumbed my house and got a multi fuel stove in. Now I paid a serious amount to get the house (bunglow aprox 20 ysrs old) re-plumbed
    and the damn house is still cold. The plumber came back adn pressure tested and reckons that that tehre is no leak. Now teh stove is to suit 12-14 radiators and I have 11 rads wit a towel rail and not all of the rads are on. So my neighbour cam in to have a look and he reckons that the cylinder should be raised apro 2/3ft off the ground for teh water to be pumped around! Now I am severily pissed off but can any1 shed any light on this cos Im about to pull my hair out at this stage! Especially as the flipping money I paid out!

Many thanks

Lil-b

A few quick questions, which would help the people here advise you better:-

1. Are the radiators getting hot? how hot?

2. Do some radiators get hotter than others?

3. What size are your radiators? (who designed and specified the size of them? ) The guys here will give you a calculation, to verify that the radiators are the correct size for the rooms they are trying to heat... Do this calculation for each room, you could use MS-Excel to do it quickly..

4. Have you measured the "out flow & return" pipe temperatures to the stove?

5. How good is your insulation? have you many drafts?

6. What tank was your neighbour talking about raising off the ground? (Doesn't sound right TBH, it should be a sealed system).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Dilbert it wont be a sealed system if its a solid fuel stoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Dilbert it wont be a sealed system if its a solid fuel stoe.

Opps, didn't realise that.... was just throwing a few questions out to get the ball rolling...

Advertisement