Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

choosing a new HT system - Please help

• 26-01-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

I'm looking for recomendations on a new HT setup and I'd like to pick the collective boards expertise as I have little or none in this area.

Please bear in mind that I am looking for the best quality system I can to fit my budget.

I currently have UPC Chorus but will be getting in Sky HD when the system is ready.

Room size: 13' x 12'
    viewing distance - 12'

New equipment required:
    HDTV (min size 42" max size 50")

AV reciever: sized to fit the following new and existing equipment. This is where I need most guidance as I am a HT novice.

Blue ray player. To deliver maximum picture and audio quality.

5.1 speaker system incl sats and SW: Needs to be small and unobtrusive pref wall mounted. again emphisis is on sound quality don't really need a huge amount of power as I am in a semi-D.

Games console: ps3 160 gb

control: Ideally I would like the whole system to work off one remote control.

Existing Equipment:
    I would like the system to play music through my laptop or iPod.
    I also have a HDD recorder/dvd player.

Budget:
    around 4000 pounds/euro. remember to leave approx €500 for top quality cabling and mounts/stands

Thanks all,
    JAson

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Panel : SONY KDL40W4500 / Panasonic TH42PY80
    AMP : Denon AVR 2809 / Yamaha DSPAX863se
    Speakers : Tannoy Arena/ Kef 3005SE
    Blueray: Panasonic DMPBD55(If you can find it) / Sony BDP550
    Remote: Logitec Harmony One
    *note the ps3 uses bluetooth

>Sol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

akaSol wrote: »
    Remote: Logitec Harmony One

OP, You haven't specified where you want to store the equipment.

I mention this, because if you can, you can make a decision now to place all the equipment in a cupboard somewhere.

This will require a little more cabling, but can reduce clutter and leave you open to selecting different components from different brands.

If you go down this route you should go for the Logitech Harmony 895/1000 or philips pronto as they have RF/IR extenders to work in such situations.

I have done just this, and run a single HDMI cable from AVP to Display which makes for a very neat solution.

L.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I wouldn't disagree with the advice you've gotten here already, but if you're sitting distance is 12', I'd be going for a 46" or preferably bigger fullHD screen.

Ritz

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

I think in the back of my mind I've already settled on the Pioneer Kuro 50" even though it's right on the threshold of what would look right for the size of the room.

On the speakers it's no deal on the Eggs. they really have to be very discreet. I have the wifes buy in on Jamo A102 speakers. I'd stretch to the mission m-cube if the general opinion is that the sound is worth the extra money. only around £50 more than the Kef.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Not sure where you are planning to buy but many on Boards would recommend checking out Richersounds in Belfast. Current catalogue to give you a taste of prices.

They also have an interaction forum here on Boards.

Keep us posted on what you decide on !

Thanks, Will most likely be making a trip when I've decided on the package.

Anyone know where I could find Mission M-cube speakers? RS do not have them on their site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Jason,
    I recently got myself a Sony40W4500 and Sony Blueray 350 player. The TV is absolutely fantastic, and has won numerous critical awards in the last weeks and months. The picture quality on blueray movies has to be seen to be believed. I was a HD skeptic, but now I can finally see what all the fuss was about, it's fantastic!

Next size up for that Sony is 46", or 52" if you're feeling very adventurous! When I first set up my 40" I thought it looked huge, after having a 32" CRT. But having gotten used to it now, I think I could have squeezed in a 46"! Although I'm also in a semi-d house, so 46" would look overkill I reckon.

I am waiting delivery on Jamo A102 speakers, expecting them to arrive tomorrow. I sourced them in tekshop247.com. €225. They are at least €400 in any irish shops, if you can find them!

And finally, I'm getting myself a Pioneer 1018 AVR from Richersounds in Belfast. JohnMc in RS recommended this particular amp to me, and they are doing excellent deals on it and other AVR's. The Pioneer allows you connect up your iPod to it directly via USB, and you can control the iPod then using the Amp's remote. Very neat I think.

I also considered the Denon 1909 and Onkyo 606 which are roughly the same price - i.e. €350 or less. Again, the irish shops are much more pricey than that.

You're €4000 budget leaves you a lot of room anyway. All the above will have cost me little over half of that.

Advertisement