Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House share advice

Options
  • 26-01-2009 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am setting up a house share with 3 other for the first time. I was thinking that having a kitty for stuff we all use might be a good idea. Does anyone have any experience of this & know if it works? What sort of things would you include? I’m thinking washing up liquid, loo roll, tea, coffee, milk, cleaning stuff etc

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

done this before, does work sometimes, depending on how reliable the people are. things i would include would be, toilet roll, washing up liquid, any sort of cleaning products, bin bags, bin tags. maybe smaller things like, cooking oil, tin foil. tea, coffee and milk mite not be agreed, coz not everyone takes those, but if you all agree on it then fine, but come up with a list between ye that you know all of you use on a regular basis in order to make it fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

only tip i'd really recommend is make sure you all sit down together to organise it. and instead of thinking of things to put in it, just throw a figure out that people can usually spare. we did this in 2nd year in college and used to put 8 euro each in a week. covered absolutely everything (6 of us in the house)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

We had a kitty in a few of the houses I lived in. One place included it in the price of the monthly rent. The majority of it went on loo roll, cleaning stuff, bins, cooking oil, bread, milk, tea, sugar, cordial, tin foil etc... basically anything that most people in the house would use. The left overs for the month went towards an emergency fund for TV licence/Repairs/Beering Session. One person was appointed to dish out the cash on the presence of a receipt after money got robbed from us.

Advertisement