Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to stay and what to do!

Options
  • 26-01-2009 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Myself and a friend will be hopping the border on the 11th to go to the postgrad fair and will be overnighting :D (any excuse for a night out).

Neither of us are too familiar with Limerick so....any recommendations on where to stay and what to get up to that night? We may also be loitering at the QUB stand at the fair but only if Careers force us to ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

George hotel in centre of town is amazing, fantastic rooms, very handy for after a night out as u wont have to worry about taxis, and u can get a bus out to ul and back for around €1.20.

http://ireland.hotels.com/pageDetails.do?viewTab=photos&destinationId=F5B56FE7-4EE0-4584-96F5-E7ADE8F4F704&hotelId=249175&arrivalDate=11/02/2009&departureDate=12/02/2009&numberOfRooms=1&adultsPerRoom=2&childrenPerRoom=0

€70 that night for a superior room

theres some cheaper hotels but none as central and as nice.

as for places to go.. the usual clubs are Trinity Rooms Icon or Angel Lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Bummer. We were hoping for something skipping distance from campus so we could experience all UL has to offer first hand :(

ah right, well, castletroy park hotel is right across the road from UL. but seriously, why not stay in town, itd be cheaper. get a bus out for like a quid then experience all u like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

zuroph wrote: »
    ah right, well, castletroy park hotel is right across the road from UL. but seriously, why not stay in town, itd be cheaper. get a bus out for like a quid then experience all u like.
    Lies! Tis €1.60 now :mad:

isnt the euro bus 1.20?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

isnt the euro bus 1.20?

True. But its service is pretty limited compared with Bus Eireann.

Anyway, walking is cheaper again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

Be carefull about booking this hotel as it is in financial trouble. There is some meeting on Friday. I have booked into it for a wedding in March and it is now all up in the air.

We'll be camping in the carpark so. All we need now is a tour guide! UL isn't sounding a too exciting prospect so far...

nah, its rubbish ;)
    Theres loads of local B+Bs too. And the Kilmurry lodge if ur feeling adventurous ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I actually stayed in the Kilmurry Lodge during the summer and it was a really nice hotel. There's a nightclub attached, imaginatively title 'The Lodge', where all the students go. As nightclubs go it's not the worst, but it's not the best either. It's also about a 15/20 minute walk from UL and on the way back you can get the bus if you're feeling lazy!

According to their site, a double room will cost you €69 for the night, which is cheaper (by a €1!!!) than town :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

ergonomics wrote: »
    According to their site, a double room will cost you €69 for the night, which is cheaper (by a €1!!!) than town :pac:

*Obvious joke pertaining the number 69 and the Lodge nightclub*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Peteee wrote: »
    ^He's the forum moderator, you know:D
    ergonomics wrote: »
    As nightclubs go it's not the worst
    No, there's this place on Gran Canaria, definitely worse.

Stay in the Kilmurry Lodge per ergonomics' suggestion if you're more into staying around Castletroy. The hotel itself is quite nice and not particularly expensive. It'll also save you the hassle of travelling out from town in the morning, it's a 15 minute walk to UL if you're cheery in the morning, 20-25 with a hangover. The nightclub is studenty (by which I mean it would be completely at home in Beirut) but if that floats your boat...
    We may also be loitering at the QUB stand at the fair but only if Careers force us to ;)
    You don't want to cross Mary Sweeney:) She's very efficient. She'll notice if you skive off. I may turn up and finger point, talk loudly in the presence of those with hangovers, that kind of thing.

I assume they sent you a UL map so you don't get lost?

lol @ sceptre. I've been to the campus once before (during the Summer when it was filled with small tracksuited children doing some kind of community sports thing!) so won't be totally lost, and we have been endowed with maps! We're mainly coming down because I'm heading to UL in September and want to sample 'all it has to offer', without having to work in the morning! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Peteee wrote: »
    fail

surprised the locals havent been jumping at the chance to show you and your friend around ;)

You driving down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

kaimera wrote: »
    surprised the locals havent been jumping at the chance to show you and your friend around ;)

This local just woke up after yet another all day drinking session and a night in the aforementioned Lodge!

Mossin wrote: »
    This local just woke up after yet another all day drinking session and a night in the aforementioned Lodge!

Sounds classy :cool:

Yup driving down...is that bad?!

nope, its good really, i was trying to figure about costs of getting in or out from bus's etc.

After all the advice received we shall be snoozing in Kilmurry Lodge. Fingers crossed lol...getting some very mixed reviews!! Thanks for the responses :D If anyone has any more suggestions as to 'activities' that should be enjoyed whilst there let me know :p

After all the advice received we shall be snoozing in Kilmurry Lodge. Fingers crossed lol...getting some very mixed reviews!! Thanks for the responses :D If anyone has any more suggestions as to 'activities' that should be enjoyed whilst there let me know :p
    steady...you'll start an innuendo war thread and then ergo will get upset and bluedolphin will rabble and the guys on the forum will go nuts.

enjoy UL for the day(s) btw :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

kaimera wrote: »
    steady...you'll start an innuendo war thread and then ergo will get upset

Those days are behind me actually. I've decided that if you can't beat em, join em.

Big thanks to the UL folk for being so 'hospitable' - had a fab time! :D

\o/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Dammit, I knew there was something I meant to go to last week. Blast. Now will probably have to fill weekly column with story about this afternoon's protest - bluedolphin, would help if you arrange a crowd of people to be there.

Glad you enjoyed the UL hospitality.

Advertisement