Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contaminated oil delivery problem?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

has anybody ever experienced this before, and if so, what happened? I think its just happened to us....our burner was working fine, we got oil delivered, and the day after it broke down, the burner engineer said that the fuel pump and filters are ruined, that the oil is contaminated with water and "gunge" and that the tank needs to be emptied and the oil disposed of, that the tank needs to be cleaned, the whole system needs to be drained, a new fuel pump needs to be installed and new kerosene needs to be delivered. The only reason he can think of is that the oil was contamanated. A major problem, as its cold, Ive 4 small kids, so I guess the house will stay very cold for some time while this is sorted out, not to mention the money.
    The delivery company concerned have asked for a sample of the oil and Im not too confident from their initial reaction that they will be willing to assist us in sorting this out.
    Any feedback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I am going to move this to Consumer Issues where it stands a better chance of getting a reply.

Some recommended reading
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=291266

Moved from Limerick City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

how much oil was left in your tank when you got the last delivery? usually there is always a reserve area in the bottom of the tank where all the gunge and dirt settles and this is below the level of the outlet pipe so it does not get to your burner..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Have similar problem myself, but not as bad.

The cap at the top of the tank blew off at some stage in the summer allowing rain get in. Some gunge will allways be at the bottom of the tank but the rain, probably allowed more than normal to get in.

Oil service guy did full service, (just €60:D) cleaned out the lines and then tilted the tank away from the oil outlet by about an inch - this meant that the gunge & water would be at the far end of the tank to the oil outlet.

He then advised to run the oil down over the next couple of months and then drain it in summer when tank is near empty. - And of course put a proper cap on the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

tanks guys
    (sorry bad pun I know ;))
    its strange but the oil company sent out their own engineer, he did somehting to it, we dont know what, then left without saying anything, and it does seem to be working again.
    We are going to leave it for a day or so to see does it continue to operate properly then get our own service guy out to take a look.
    Very stressfull the whole thing, hopefully its over now.....
    cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

banjobongo wrote: »
    tanks guys
    (sorry bad pun I know ;))
    its strange but the oil company sent out their own engineer, he did somehting to it, we dont know what, then left without saying anything, and it does seem to be working again.
    We are going to leave it for a day or so to see does it continue to operate properly then get our own service guy out to take a look.
    Very stressfull the whole thing, hopefully its over now.....
    cheers!
    he may have used some kind of chemical solution to clean up whatever had contaminated the oil? sometimes with diesel in colder weather it can become sluggish as the wax in it thickens, if that was your problem he might have had something to reverse this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement