Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an Open Source Visio Alternative

Options
  • 26-01-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Preferably one you have personal experience of. :pac:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Slim pickin's, I'm afraid. I've used Dia on linux before, but it's pants to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

there is a lightweight viso-style application online you could have a look at. They offer free basic accounts which might or might not be fit for your purposes. You cannot define your own diagram objects with it however.

http://www.gliffy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Thanks, I'm going to check out Openoffice alternative. Its not for CASE or anything, I just like to visualise a process before commiting to code.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm going to check out Openoffice alternative. Its not for CASE or anything, I just like to visualise a process before commiting to code.

Yea the drawing program with open office isn't bad, if your doing simple enough block diagrams.... I guess where visio wins out is the library of symbols that come with it, this might or might not be important depending on what your doing.

There is also smart draw which is cheaper than visio and depending on the number of users could be quite economical. Can't comment on the recent versions as i haven't used it in years, but it looks good....

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

There are a lot of open source uml tools i have used starUML which takes care of the UML functionality

If you want a tool to map out a concept informally ive used cmap: http://cmap.ihmc.us/conceptmap.html the visuals are nice looking

• Advertisement
Advertisement