Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 questions re: foreign exchange

Options
  • 26-01-2009 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just 2 questions

How long does one usually have to order US dollars in advance? I'm with AIB, if that helps

And also, what price do you get the dollars at? The price when you order them? Or could you get a better price if it changes in the meantime?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Not sure about aib but 2-3 days to order with us & the rate you will get them at is the rate on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Order them a week in advance to be on the safe side as it depends on the day the fx order is delivered really.

Yep, rate on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Depends on the branch and the amount you need. Although you are supposed to order in advance, I remember going in before and just asking for (and getting) $200 straight away (that's pretty much the most cash I would ever take on holidays with me. Use your ATM/Credit cards when over there then).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Dave! wrote: »
    How long does one usually have to order US dollars in advance? I'm with AIB, if that helps

For the "popular" currencies (GBP/USD) they often have a suitable amount on hand, so notice is not always required, but best to phone in advance.
    Dave! wrote: »
    And also, what price do you get the dollars at? The price when you order them? Or could you get a better price if it changes in the meantime?

Most of the time it would be the rate on the day you collect the notes, but you could book a deal on say a tuesday, and collect the actualy notes a few days later, but unless we are talking $$$$$, might not make that much difference.

Advertisement