Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What macro lens do i need

• 26-01-2009 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Totally new to this, I just bought a Canon 400D, and i would like to start taken some close up images, Flowers/Bee's Birds etc,

What lens should i be looking at, I dont have alot of money to spend on lens at the moment.

Here is the kinda pic's i'd like to be able to take (I know these are pro shots but i'd like a lens that might be able to take something like this )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canhchimbatgio/1423449135/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rolfen1/2814174960/

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

OP, what do you currently have?

Assuming you have the 'kit' 18-55, have you tried using it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Do a search on the forum, and google, for 'extension tubes'. there's a post that won't even have made it off page 2 yet about them... it's a great way to start off with macro stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Something like this is another option, cheap and easy to use in that it still lets you autofocus, meter etc.

Ok so the results aren't going to be up to the quality of a dedicated macro lens, but at least you can play about for a while and see if you want to make the investment in the real thing.

I took this with something similar (filter screwed onto a nifty fifty on a Nikon D300, but the principle remains the same).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

elven wrote: »
    Do a search on the forum, and google, for 'extension tubes'. there's a post that won't even have made it off page 2 yet about them... it's a great way to start off with macro stuff.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055469694 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Not knowing how much your budget is makes this a bit difficult to answer.

Your best bet for getting into macro without too much expense would be to get yourself the EF 50mm 1.8 and an extenion tube or two.

This should cover the two most important requirements when taking macro shots.... These are, close focusing and a relatively sharp lense.

Hope this helps :)

Dave OS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lukeod

Or you could look at a lengthy zoom with a macro facility. Like the Sigma 70-300mm APO... Not (quite) as cheap an option as the 50mm with extension tube, but worth a look maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

EFS-60 is a superb macro lens offering very close focussing and a true 1:1 ratio. At f2.8 it offers a lot.

Ok, its an EFS lens and this will limit it to certain Canon bodies, but it really is a nice lens and not too bad as a walkabout lens either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Tactical wrote: »
    EFS-60 is a superb macro lens offering very close focussing and a true 1:1 ratio. At f2.8 it offers a lot.

Ok, its an EFS lens and this will limit it to certain Canon bodies, but it really is a nice lens and not too bad as a walkabout lens either.

+1 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Can i get those extension tubes for a d60 anywhere in dublin? I dont suppose theres a cheap alternative to a fisheye too is there? hah

Its crazy the ammount of stuff im finding out that exists in photography! I want it all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Thanks guys. I'll try the extension tubes 1st see how i get on,

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Hey all again,

Right i got the tubes and i'm getting the hang of them..

but what i've noticed is (and remember i'm a total newbie) i've to get really really close to the subject,,,, and I really wanted to shooting bee/wasp's ect,, and when i say close i mean 2-3 inch's... I dont want to get a sting from them lol..

Advertisement