Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Sausepans

• 26-01-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

What do you look for in a good set of sausepans??

Moving into my new house within the next couple of months and trying to get stuff together for it. Currently looking for cooking equipment - sausepans, baking trays, casserole dishes etc.

What should i look out for in these things??

Moneys fairly tight at the minute as you can imagine so cant spend €500 or anything like it on a set of sausepans so can anyone recommend where i could get a reasonable priced set??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Get yourself into Arnotts ASAP! Their sale might still be on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

olaola wrote: »
    Get yourself into Arnotts ASAP! Their sale might still be on.

x2 great deals in there

They sell a good range of brands. I personally have a Circulon covered saute pan, and a non stick saucepan, med & large pot from Kitchen Aid and one casserole from Le Creuset. And that basically covers every eventuality. I got all of these in Arnotts. And I have a two tier steamer - I don't think it really matters which brand you use here, just get one you like the size of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Doubt the sale will still be on now. Not gonna be in town within the next fortnight so it'll definitely be over by then!!

I've heard alot about Le Creuset are they any good??
    Are stainless steel saucepans the best??

dlambirl wrote: »

Well they will last you a lifetime. So - worth the investment IMO. I would definitely get at least a casserole which you can pop in the oven. For everyday use, I find them quite heavy - and they can be hard to clean. So I go for a good non-stick - Circulon make great non-stick pans etc. The Kitchen aid ones I got are great too. I don't know if I'd go for a non-coated stainless steel pot. Maybe I'm just lazy! Whatever you go for - make sure they have a good heavy base and feel good and solid in your paw.

You can buy online from Arnotts, might even get them elsewhere cheaper.
    http://www.buy4now.ie/arnottsstore/aspx/category.aspx?loc=R&catid=40

I prefer to look at what I'm buying before I purchase though!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

dlambirl wrote: »
    Doubt the sale will still be on now. Not gonna be in town within the next fortnight so it'll definitely be over by then!!

all my pans are Le Creuset, i have to say i wouldnt recommend them, they are really heavy when they are empty and even heavier when full. i have problems lifting them especially when they are full of boiling water and you have to strain the food.

also i find it really hard to control the temperature, they take a while to heat up but then take ages to cool down, it had resulted in a lot of burnt sauces etc.

may be i just dont know how to use them properly :o:o

I was thinking of getting a Le Creuset casserole dish cos i felt the saucepans and there wouldnt be a chance of me using them every day with the weight of them!!!

Is there anything in particular to look out for when buying normal saucepans?? Totally new to this game of buying for myself (and not buying the "it'll do" stuff"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

For saucepans (i.e. not a casserole dish, frying pan, etc.) I'd go with the following:

1) Non-coated.
    2) Stainless steel body
    3) low chrome content, so your stainless steel is also magnetic (i.e. your pots will work on an induction cooker)
    4) Oven-proof handles (so you can bung the pan in the oven)

Whether you go for thin-base or thick-base is really a matter of preference. You may prefer thin-base, so the pans respond better to changes in temp. You may prefer thick-base, so the pans hold heat longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

I'd swear by the le creuset line of saucepans, there great, very easy to clean, made from cast iron so retains heat very well, handles are oven safe, lifetime guarantee, and they look the part as well

If you are going to get le creuset, don't buy in Ireland, the mark up here is hugh, buy from internet.

Was in France back in october and bought €500's worth, We saved about €300 by buying directly from the factory warehouse in fresnoy-le-grande.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Le Creuset make excellent casserole dishes and roasting pans. Enamelled cast iron is brilliant for hob-to-oven-to-table use. I wouldn't buy their pots though.

For frying pans and saute pans I would always buy non-stick. It just makes life easier given the nature of the cooking you want to do with pans like that.

Pots, personal preference is 18/10 gauge stainless steel with copper sandwich base, oven-safe up to and over 200 degrees. There are new ranges out with silicon padded handles that makes them easier to lift, plus the handles don't heat up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AskYerMa

Get some of those le creuset bad boys, i love to cook and id swear by them, yes they can be heavy but they are quality, if money is tight then defo invest as you'll be eating in alot is i did for the 1 st year when imoved into my pad!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

I picked up a few All-Clad pans last time I was in america and I must say they're fantastic. They're a tri-ply construction so they heat up very very quickly.

Not cheap though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Littlewoods ireland have a couple of good sets on saucepans on their website at the mo! Ranging from cheapish to expensive. Take a look and you can gauge what you like and what you want to spend from it. Some lovely sets around €85 with 5 saucepans and frying pan and not cheap looking either.

laurak265 wrote: »
    Littlewoods ireland have a couple of good sets on saucepans on their website at the mo! Ranging from cheapish to expensive. Take a look and you can gauge what you like and what you want to spend from it. Some lovely sets around €85 with 5 saucepans and frying pan and not cheap looking either.

had a look at Littlewoods. Any saucepan set that was reduced on the website was sold out or unavailable so..........:rolleyes:

the hunt continues!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Did you try the Argos catalogue?? Always have a good range too??

Advertisement