Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late but tests negative?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi! My husband and I have been ttc for over a year now! When I came of the pill in Dec 07 my cycle was a longer than normal for the first few months. The longest was 32 days. It soon settled down in a 28/29 day cycle.
    At the moment I'm 6 days late. Ive done two tests, one yesterday and one today. Both were neg.;( . Im gutted! My hearts telling me Im preg while my heads telling me I'm not! I seem to have some symptoms, really tender boobs, peeing a lot and a slight nauseous feeling. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Im gonna leave a it a few more days before I test again! Heres hoping that maybe this time I am!
    would be great to find someone else who has gone through this only to discover they were expecting!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

When i found myself late, 3 months after having my first child i done loads of tests in the first week. Every one of them were neg. I had no symptoms, apart from looking really tired. I just knew though.

Decided to leave it a few days, that was the tough part. Then it showed positive. Ten months and a day between the little rogues.

You're 6 days late, yay! ;). Really hope you get your positive result. Morning is the best time to test.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TT92

themadchef wrote: »
    When i found myself late, 3 months after having my first child i done loads of tests in the first week. Every one of them were neg. I had no symptoms, apart from looking really tired. I just knew though.

Decided to leave it a few days, that was the tough part. Then it showed positive. Ten months and a day between the little rogues.

You're 6 days late, yay! ;). Really hope you get your positive result. Morning is the best time to test.

Wow! Thanx a million Madchef! It's really reassuring to hear you say that! Obviously I'm trying not to let myself believe that this could be it! It's so hard! I keep rushing the loo to see if there's any sign of monthly! :rolleyes:
    I'll keep my fingers crossed! Here's hoping!

I felt like i was going to get my period all through that first few weeks.

Terrible cramps. I think thats what made me so unsure. Part of me just knew..if you know what i mean, but the cramps were awful so it really made me doubt myself till i got the positive test.

Really hope things go well for you.

Im feeling those today!! Kind getting scared! Great to hear that though! Gonna leave it a few days and see what happens!.........
    Trying not to get get hopes up too much!!
    Thanks for ur feedback!x:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I personally believe that women just want to become pregnant so much that they start to imagine things happening them on a monthly basis only for them to continually get disappointed. I also believe that this constant state of wishful thinking can be stressful and create an environment that isn't conducive to a healthy conception.

I've watched my own girlfriend each month tell me that something feels different, and she has cramps that are not "periody" cramps...and we get a test...negative and then bang, as if the period felt threatened by the test, it arrives an hour later.

I hope you conceive soon, I really do, but try and relax and let it just happen. Remember, the only people that ever win the lotto are those folks who don't watch on the saturday night but are down the pub instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I personally believe that women just want to become pregnant so much that they start to imagine things happening them on a monthly basis only for them to continually get disappointed. I also believe that this constant state of wishful thinking can be stressful and create an environment that isn't conducive to a healthy conception.

While I agree with this I might have been a bit more gentle in the way I put it :) The wanting to be pregnant is such a strong need/desire that it does take over and like anything else important, it takes up a big part of daily life.

I have never had a negative where I wasn't negative, nor a false positive either. Some women can get both and it depends on HCG levels. A lot of women do get a negative only to get a positive a few days later when hormone levels go up.

Best of luck OP, let us know how you get on. I have a lot of body parts crossed for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭sassa

It could be a phantom pregnancy they are quite common but if you are pregnant you could just be in very early stages and your hormone level is not strong enough yet. I'd wait a week and if you still havent gotten your period go to your gp so they can do a test if it's a low reading they might do a blood test to be sure.
    good luck either way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

My wife didn't get a positive test until after 3 months on her first pregnancy. Every test was negative until then. Everyone is different so don't lose heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I'm also late by about 3 days but crampy so think they are on the way :-( Tested on saturday night, due day, before I went out with the girls, just to be on safe side and it was negative. Bought another one yesterday and if it's not in by Saturday I'll rest again. I've been between 24 and 26 days since I came off the pill about 16 months ago.

Thanx everyone for ur well wishes!! Ill keep you all posted!! Its great to know that their might still be a chance!!

I totally understand where ur coming from 'abouttobebanned'! It is so easy to fail into that trap and get carried away with wishful thinking! But after a year a of trying and being so on the button each month it does give cause to wonder whats happening!! I've never felt boobs so sore!! haha!:D

Ah Best wishes BarbieGirl!! Heres hoping!!xx

• Advertisement

Hi TT92 hope you're getting on better than me. Mine arrived today :-( Still looking on the bright side, I have another month of fun sex with my hubbie and barring issues I can make one of my best friends wedding in September as won't be in no fly 6 week zone no matter when I get pregnant from here in. Staying positive :-)

Ah thats a pity barbiegirl! At least ur looking on the positive side and you know ya can knuckle down and start again!
    Im still hanging on in there at the min! Havent done another test yet! Afraid to yet incase im dissappointed! Ill try and hold out another day or two!
    Its amazing that we think so far ahead!! Ive a wedding abroad in November and Im thinking the exact same thing! Wondering what way will i be then! Its putting me off booking it yet!

Well got my period yesterday! Boo!!! :( 9 days late!! First time that has ever happened me since I came off pill 13 months ago!!! Very frustrating!
    Ah well theres always next month!! Thanx everyone for their advice!

Sorry to hear that TT.

I know when it's something you want so desperately it's hard not to focus on it so much. I know it's easy to say "put it to the back of your head" but, if you spend each month living for a positive test it will stress you out and upset you.

Focus on each other and give nature a chance. I was on the pill for years too. It takes the body over a year to adjust (or so i was told when i was first TTC).

It's worth the wait, i promise ;)

Sorry to hear that TT92. Still get the sexy undies out and here we go again :-) Lots of luck

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that TT92. Still get the sexy undies out and here we go again :-) Lots of luck
    You too mrs! We'll have fun trying!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 peckamsprings

TT92 wrote: »
    Hi! My husband and I have been ttc for over a year now! When I came of the pill in Dec 07 my cycle was a longer than normal for the first few months. The longest was 32 days. It soon settled down in a 28/29 day cycle.
    At the moment I'm 6 days late. Ive done two tests, one yesterday and one today. Both were neg.;( . Im gutted! My hearts telling me Im preg while my heads telling me I'm not! I seem to have some symptoms, really tender boobs, peeing a lot and a slight nauseous feeling. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Im gonna leave a it a few more days before I test again! Heres hoping that maybe this time I am!
    would be great to find someone else who has gone through this only to discover they were expecting!

I really hope you are pregnant. I've been through both options. We had been trying for my daughter for about 8 mths, and a few months in a row i thought i was pregnant, as you say, sore boobs etc and late but to no avail, but them when i was pregnant, i didnt believe i was for the first couple of weeks, i thought my mind was playing tricks on me. She's 4 now, so hang in there and it should all work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I've watched my own girlfriend each month tell me that something feels different, and she has cramps that are not "periody" cramps...and we get a test...negative and then bang, as if the period felt threatened by the test, it arrives an hour later.

I hope you conceive soon, I really do, but try and relax and let it just happen. Remember, the only people that ever win the lotto are those folks who don't watch on the saturday night but are down the pub instead.

Unfortunately this was the only post of mine I could find in here :o

I bought another test yesterday...and we finally get a positive result!

I even got tested during the summer and although it came back with positive results for me...I still doubted myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

Congrats, thats awesome - wishing you a healthy and happy nine months! :)

Advertisement