Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work and travel Oz or new zealand?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

gone 25. Job prospects aint good. Was workin as a sub teacher but work has dried up...low on cash . got the wanderlust....where can i get more bang for my buck, i think New Zealand..ive only got about 2 grand saved though! but thats not including flight costs...
    Other than my family and a couple of friends...ive nothinh here in ireland that id want to come back to for the next while anyway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Depends really- do you want to work as a teacher while away or are you looking for a Working Holiday? Half your funds will be gone on your flights an your visa, so you'll need to be very focused on where you want to work, what work your looking for because the rest of that money won't last long and you'll need to be very focused on finding work. Not much fun if its a working holiday you're looking for. . Its a global recession, If you've no experience in bar work or office admin, then I'd think twice about leaving with so little funds. Is there anyone you could borrow some funds from?

New Zealand or Oz is really a personal choice. You'll get more New Zealand dollars for your euro than Australian dollar but to be honest with such little funds thats really a non issue!!

Qualified teachers are on the skills list for Australia. If its a longer term move than Working holiday then a skilled visa might be a better option. Your papers etc will be sorted before you get there making it easier to find teaching work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 surfjunkie

if its 2 grand that you have, and you have worked as a sub teacher and are in no rush home, id consider teaching in asia. will be a lot cheaper. work seems to be slack enough in new zealand and australia at the moment. in asia a degree will get you work in many schools, plus there is a lot of paperwork involved in teaching in oz.

Advertisement