Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After reading Darren's story on this Picture.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

http://pix.ie/darreng/812363/in/album/333553?#Comment349504

Where he spent so much time for a few photos I wondered what's the longest you've ever spent on a photo.
    Think mine is about 1 minute. :D

Ach, I was hoping for something actually dramatic, like he went to the lighthouse EVERY DAY FOR A YEAR or something before capturing just the light he was waiting for all that time :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I spent all day today looking for an empty derelict chair to photo. Darndale to Malahide to back of airport and eventually saw an old plastic school chair stuck on top of a mound of dirt with Ikea in the background. Hope it comes out as well as it looked through the viewer. So that was about 5 hours just today. For a chair...jesus wept. I'm deflated now. When I saw it I felt like a nature photographer catching two pandas going hard at it...but it was just a plastic chair in a fly tipping area at the back of Ballymun. Oh the glamour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

The longest time I've spent taking a single photo is the hour and a half it took to take this star trail photo. Luckily the dolmen is close to the car park so once I had everything set up I was able to escape the bitter cold and wait in the car. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

humberklog wrote: »
    Hope it comes out as well as it looked through the viewer.
    So do we... so get posting it here when it's done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

About 5 months between deciding i wanted to take a picture and then being able to take it.:pac:

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    So do we... so get posting it here when it's done!

Well it'll take a little while as I've only set a flickr account up and I've already gone up to my monthly limit. So in fact this photo could run to weeks of work!? For a chair! In Bullymun!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Tell us how you came upon the idea in the meantime.

Covey wrote: »
    Tell us how you came upon the idea in the meantime.

Just from flickr. I was looking at the different groups and liked the photos in that group. It's not really to take a picture of a chair solely but sometimes I like when I set myself a mission and more often than not it's the other things that happen in between that give me good results. It's just an excuse to travel around and you never know what's going to happen.

Just from flickr. I was looking at the different groups and liked the photos in that group. It's not really to take a picture of a chair solely but sometimes I like when I set myself a mission and more often than not it's the other things that happen in between that give me good results. It's just an excuse to travel around and you never know what's going to happen.

http://flickr.com/groups/theleague/pool/ ??

I am proud to have had a shot that met the high standards of the group ...
    http://flickr.com/photos/dairequinlan/2696844122/

http://flickr.com/groups/theleague/pool/ ??

I am proud to have had a shot that met the high standards of the group ...
    http://flickr.com/photos/dairequinlan/2696844122/
    Well fair play. I submitted one but it was rejected so that kinda fired up the belly. But in fairness the person that contacted me then asked for a photo for "noli me tangere" group. Now I don't know what that means but it felt good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Well fair play. I submitted one but it was rejected so that kinda fired up the belly. But in fairness the person that contacted me then asked for a photo for "noli me tangere" group. Now I don't know what that means but it felt good.

welll, I was being a little facetious there, Its only a flickr group for gods sakes :pac:

Although, one moderated group which I really like is this one:
    http://flickr.com/groups/onfilm/

Film only, but there's a pretty consistently high standard of moderation there.

And now ... back on topic ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Two years! Well not sitting in the one place but it took me two years to get it. On the Skelligs one year I got what I thought was a good shot of a puffin taking off: This one.

The more I looked at it the more annoyed I got looking at the severed wings. I went back the next year and got a load of duds. Then the year after and many clicks later I got this. I didn't know I had it until I got home and saw it on the screen.

Patience is a big factor with wildlife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

There have been several times recently I've sat on the sand at the Bull Wall in the cold and very early in the morning waiting for the tide to come in and push the birds towards me only for them to be spooked by something after about 2.5 hours and leave me with no shot and frost bite :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I wondered what's the longest you've ever spent on a photo.
    Think mine is about 1 minute. :D

5-and-a-half days to get a picture from the top of a huge mountain. Three months if you include the training

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Theres a two seater couch on the bend at Holly's town golf course, lying in the ditch I nearly stopped to get a photo of it as it looked so unsually there, but traffic was bad, and it was in a dangerous spot. Your welcome to try ;-)

Advertisement