Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 Apprentice Mark unemployed = surprised?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Did anyone hear the Apprentice contestant Mark (O'Rourke?) on Marian on Saturday morning radio 1. She had a show where she was talking to a studio full of unemployed people, most of whom had interesting stories.

One of them was our Mark. Turns out that he decided to quit the Dad's business after the show and pick up one of the many offers that he felt would inevitably be coming his way after the TV show :eek:

He completely lost the plot on the TV show .. there was a rumour that he used physical force with a customer in the renault showroom challenge ... but he demonstrated himself to be a complete loose cannon in any case.

Would anyone who saw the show hire him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Sure he can go back to MDB whenever he wants :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Well I'm not too surprised with him to be honest, I would'ent employ him Tv show or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I would even give Joanna a job before that muppet. He'll be running back to Daddy with his tie still askew before long. It's an insult to the other people on Marian's show that someone who could be working in the family business was given airtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Yeah...it's commonly known that big multinationals especially recruit people who've appeared on reality TV programmes.

Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He didn't come across as the brightest spark on the show so I can't say I'm surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'd say Mark's Daddy won't take him back and is just using the Recession as an excuse not to. Sure it was probably his old man that told him to apply for the Apprentice seeing a once in a life time opportunity to get rid of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Countermoon

Anyone who has natural ability to make it in the business world doesn't go on the Apprentice, FFS. The Apprentice is for losers who THINK they have "it" - when all they really have is marketing & sales jargon, an impractical degree, clichés, buzz words, and a crap attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

which guy was mark? I didn't watch it that much

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

nevey wrote: »
    Did anyone hear the Apprentice contestant Mark (O'Rourke?) on Marian on Saturday morning radio 1. She had a show where she was talking to a studio full of unemployed people, most of whom had interesting stories.

One of them was our Mark. Turns out that he decided to quit the Dad's business after the show and pick up one of the many offers that he felt would inevitably be coming his way after the TV show :eek:

He completely lost the plot on the TV show .. there was a rumour that he used physical force with a customer in the renault showroom challenge ... but he demonstrated himself to be a complete loose cannon in any case.

Would anyone who saw the show hire him?

Did they say what he was doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Anyone who has natural ability to make it in the business world doesn't go on the Apprentice, FFS. The Apprentice is for losers who THINK they have "it" - when all they really have is marketing & sales jargon, an impractical degree, clichés, buzz words, and a crap attitude.

The 2 people I know who are successful and young weren't interested. They both said 'I am not an apprentice'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I can't understand anybody who would do a 6 week 'interview' for a one year contract as an 'apprentice'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

He was the dub who worked in the salvage yard - a family business. He was fired on week six. The details are still up here.
    My lasting memory is him quoting his dad who said that experience of work was better than 3rd level education and mark added that he was "dead right".
    I think Bill's advice to him was to go and get some education but on the radio show (he only got a minute of airtime) he seemed to be doing nothing.

Just sitting there wondering how come the offers aren't flooding in!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

nevey wrote: »
    there was a rumour that he used physical force with a customer in the renault showroom challenge ...

Ha ha a lad gained legendary staus one day by Headlocking a customer who was leaving the yard and marching him in to sign the papers. If it works you're a hero, if it fails your fired. Pretty ballsy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

Wonder how Brenda is doing

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

mercuroman wrote: »
    Wonder how Brenda is doing
    Apparently running some bridal event for Jackie Wagon in her hotel in Killarney.

Could be worse, she could be trying to sell cars for Dr Bill...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BDS09

The 2 people I know who are successful and young weren't interested. They both said 'I am not an apprentice'

Would that make you old and unsuccessful then? Which is a far worse predicament than being young and hopeful.

Typical begrudging Irish attitude from everybody on this thread. Aspiring young entrepreneurs make this sort of effort, they deserve to be commended and rewarded.

I can guarantee everybody who has posted on this thread is financially worse off since the apprentice aired last year, two people have probably lost their jobs and most would jump at the chance for 100k a year job.

Why belittle somebody who makes an effort to create something better for themselves?

Innovation and enterprise is the only thing that will get this pityfull little country of ours out of recession so I commend any young person who applies and appears on shows such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

BDS09 wrote: »
    Would that make you old and unsuccessful then? Which is a far worse predicament than being young and hopeful.

Typical begrudging Irish attitude from everybody on this thread. Aspiring young entrepreneurs make this sort of effort, they deserve to be commended and rewarded.

I can guarantee everybody who has posted on this thread is financially worse off since the apprentice aired last year, two people have probably lost their jobs and most would jump at the chance for 100k a year job.

Why belittle somebody who makes an effort to create something better for themselves?

Innovation and enterprise is the only thing that will get this pityfull little country of ours out of recession so I commend any young person who applies and appears on shows such as this.

Hi Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Would that make you old and unsuccessful then?
    Or old and successful.

...and most would jump at the chance for 100k a year job.
    Is Bill really offering that though?

Why belittle somebody who makes an effort to create something better for themselves
    Why go on a TV show to further your career?
    Fairplay to anybody that does but it's open day on ripping the p1ss.
    So a TV show with Bill Cullen at the helm is our way out of this recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BDS09

Not mark I'm afraid. I will concede the guy was a bit of a turkey, but at least he tried and that shows character. Though he should be monitoring the web to ensure this sort of slander isn't published about him, which show lack of business acumen and justification for his firing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Not mark I'm afraid. I will concede the guy was a bit of a turkey, but at least he tried and that shows character. Though he should be monitoring the web to ensure this sort of slander isn't published about him, which show lack of business acumen and justification for his firing!

I didn't think it was Mark either; He wouldn’t be able to write that. It has the bitchy tones of Jackie Lavin, but then I’m guessing would she know the difference between Slander and libel.

Probably not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I commend any young person who applies and appears on shows such as this.
    I don't.

Going on The Apprentice to make it in business is a bit like going on Big Brother to make it in show-business.

The Apprentice is more about light-entertainment than it is entrepreneurship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭JCos

What's entreprenurial about appearing on the apprentice?

Attention seeking tossers is all they are, every last one of them. If they're such astoundingly good business people they wouldn't need to go on the apprentice, they just want the miniscule amount of fame that comes with appearing on the show. It's a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

Sure, if we all lived in an even/or world where there were no moderately successful middle-aged people like me around.
    Sorry but you are completely wide of the mark with that one. If you think that commending obviously deluded people like Mark will get us out of the recession then you are also deluded!
    Guaranteed? I don't know if you actually know any of the other posters but your generalisation doesn't apply to me. I do a job that is necessary and that I enjoy. It doesn't pay 100K and never will. Not everyone would jump at a job that paid 100K.
    I wouldn't dream of doing that for the sake of it. The original sentiment behind this post was - how come a particularly useless and volatile contestant on the show is surprised that he isn't employed.
    You seem to be so lost in the morass of the reality TV parallel universe that you can't see that in fact it is probably one of the worst ways to get ahead in business. Those that have done well out of the Apprentice are now apprentice pundits. The contestants get to feel like B-list celebs for a few months and then get their lives back to normal. The public (and future employers) perceptions of them are whatever the editors of the show decided would be good TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I think you need to "run that by us again" or lets all start to think "outside the box"...or perhaps some more "synergies" are required with your "portfolio capacity" :eek::D

Advertisement