Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meet Up ??

• 26-01-2009 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in meeting on a kind of regular basis say once a month for a chat and a beer/coffee to discuss photography.

What I have in mind is discussing/showing where your going with photography, projects, problems, tips ,not just photographically but also business, contacts, ideas, practical stuff etc.

Not a camera club or similar, no gear debates, competitions or the like, just like minded people discussing where there at ,going to etc with the objective to share a bit of knowledge, ideas and motivate each other a little. Probably more suited to people interested in moving their photography on to that next stage, whatever that might be for us as individuals.

I'm in Dublin Central btw.

What day would suit you best for this? 40 votes

Monday
    0%
    Tuesday
    15%
    bovrilkjtFajitas!elvenNisioCovey 6 votes
    Wednesday
    25%
    nilhgBorderfoxHugh_CkjtFajitas!elvennjburkesoccercCoveysNarah 10 votes
    Thursday
    22%
    PaulwGristlyEndbovrilkjtFajitas!DodgykeeperelvennjburkeCovey 9 votes
    Friday
    20%
    bovrilkjtsmellthegloveDraganelvennjburkeCoveyBuzz Lightyear 8 votes
    Saturday
    7%
    Paulwkjtelven 3 votes
    Sunday
    10%
    kensutzelvensasarPigwidgeon 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Friday
    Yes, i would be up for this! I enjoy looking at the work of the people who post here and would like to get to know more about the people. It tends to help me understand a lot more, if you know what i mean.

Also, i really enjoyed talking to you at the book launch Covey. You have an infectious passion for photography that really comes across in conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Thursday
    Am up for this, time pending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Me too. In north Dublin. Try not to make it a wed or a tues night though.

Thursday
    I was actually just about to reply and say Tues or Wed are my best evenings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Sunday
    also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Friday
    Here we go :eek::eek::(:(:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Very interested (though a lot newer to photography than the rest of you posting here). Whether that interest can be satiated is another matter as time is not something I'm flush with at the moment thanks to a small baby at home!

Sunday
    That's what I get for keeping it short and sweet...! I shall rephrase:

I'm down with that. Any night of the week.

Friday
    And thats what I get for typing too slow. My reply was to Fajitas Post lol:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Sounds nice :)

• Advertisement

Sunday
    It'd actually be nice if people could bring something along on paper *gasp* to share. Old skool style, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Saturday
    Sounds like a brilliant idea. I'd be interested too. Wed is probably the best night for me, currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

A Sunday afternoon? Means we culchies don't have to venture in to the abyss in the dark of night.

Sunday
    sundays are also good. as long as it's somewhere close to fallon & byrne so i can go after buying my lovely fentiman's curiosity cola :D

Thursday
    I'm out if it's Sunday's I'm afraid!

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'm out if it's Sunday's I'm afraid!

Restraining myself.............:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Friday
    Valentia wrote: »
    A Sunday afternoon? Means we culchies don't have to venture in to the abyss in the dark of night.

Being a blow-in and near neighbour, I'd hardly consider it gazillions of miles away let alone an ad-venture :eek:
    As for the Abyss :eek::eek:. Culchie ye might be but I hardly grew up in an abyss:mad: :P:P:P:D:D:D

+ 1 for the coffee and beer although a wed/thurs be better for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

I would be up to it as well :)

Being a blow-in and near neighbour, I'd hardly consider it gazillions of miles away let alone an ad-venture :eek:

Yeah I know ;) It was my 3000th post and I was trying to be funny. I can't seem to get it working in print tho'. I'll have to take one of dem courses DeVore mentioned somewhere.:(

Friday
    Surprised there's that much interest. After no response for over 20 minutes, I nearly deleted the thread :eek:

• Advertisement

Friday
    Valentia wrote: »
    Yeah I know ;) It was my 3000th post and I was trying to be funny. I can't seem to get it working in print tho'. I'll have to take one of dem courses DeVore mentioned somewhere.:(

Ahh, we'll being a culchie an all that we'll allow ye away with it especially seeing as it was your 3000 post. ;):D
    Thats some going.

Friday
    Covey wrote: »
    Surprised there's that much interest. After no response for over 20 minutes, I nearly deleted the thread :eek:

Ah don't give up that easily. Just bad timing. Most folks are trying to get outta d office at that hour, I lost as I'm only getting out now :(

Friday
    Thats some going.

And considering typing in a Zimmerframe isn't easy either :pac::pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Covey wrote: »
    After no response for over 20 minutes, I nearly deleted the thread :eek:

Given how long you wait to take a photo I am surprised you were going to delete it. I seem to recall you saying you lay in wait for ages and ages for this photo or was it this one

Count me in !

Friday
    RoryW wrote: »
    Given how long you wait to take a photo I am surprised you were going to delete it. I seem to recall you saying you lay in wait for ages and ages for this photo or was it this one

All just snapshots Rory :P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Thursday
    Yes, would be up for this too. Can't do Tuesdays and would prefer a weekend but let the masses decide.

However long it took it was worth the wait!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 redis

exellent idea folks, i'm in, on Sundays only plz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

I think at this stage you might need to add a poll with the days of the week as options and people can vote for as many days of the week that they want and then you will see the popular days

...and then exercise executive power as it is your thread and pick a day that suits yourself :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

I'm up for this. :)

Friday
    RoryW wrote: »
    I think at this stage you might need to add a poll with the days of the week as options and people can vote for as many days of the week that they want and then you will see the popular days

...and then exercise executive power as it is your thread and pick a day that suits yourself :D

Jez I hate polls, but have started one nonetheless. Thanks Rory.

BTW not my thread, hopefully is something that can be of use to Boards users.

Please only vote if you intend to attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Friday
    I'll go along at least once.;)
    Niall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Saturday
    Sounds great! A Tuesday/Wednesday evening would suit me best, possibly late late Sundays. I don't know how but I screwed my vote royally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Wednesday
    I voted Tuesday, weekends would be out for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Wednesday
    Yeah, weekday for me too. Tuesdays pref. Weekends are for family and hangovers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Friday
    I'd be on for this too. Just to go against the masses Tues is the only night I can't make it. I'll vote anyways and see what the result is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Friday
    If you get enough variety as to what days people want it on , it might be an idea to just alternate each month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Friday
    Thursdays would be good for me, after work... that sounds strange, I actually work now people:O:O:O Good thing its taking photos;) If city centre I'd be good after work thurs or possible fri but alternating sounds good too because it is not likely that everyone would show up every month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I'm in, any evening during the week

Sunday
    Let's not forget about this... why don't we go ahead with setting a date for the first one in a couple weeks time and just see who makes it?

Any venue ideas? Is there a cafe where we'd get a table big enough, or are we looking at pubs? What about 4 dame lane, if it's on a weeknight and early enough, or siné was good the last time too. Mmm, chips :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Just check that the venue is open at the time we are supposed to meet.

Not that would be a problem.

No names mentioned faint.gif

Thursday
    Pssssh. I've often drank in there at that time... I'm blaming a christmas party or some such... :pac:

Plus, Sin E, is great. And there's free wireless. And I can get the luas from out back straight back to my place :)

Friday
    I was letting the poll run, so as to determine the first date.

I think maybe run with the proposal to stagger the dates each month, probably Sunday to Thursday as Friday/Saturday has very little take up.

As regards where to meet I have a slightly different proposal. I could get a Boardroom here at work. I know that sounds very formal, but we'd have peace and quite for an hour and it's very central and retire to a hostelry afterwards for the "apres meet". But I'm open to a pub/cafe (very open actually:D) if thats what most want. Someplace quite though, where we can all be heard.

Should we have a topic or not? It may be better to focus on something and see where that takes us? What do people think?

Something like "How/why do You take photos" . Thats just an example btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

sounds cool.. shall shuffle my massively hectic social calendar accordingly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Bar at the Central Hotel on Exchequer St is quiet. They have a small room which I have think they will reserve for a group. There is also free WiFi there & it's quiet. unlike Sine E the pints are at full price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Sin E it is then :D

Sunday
    Where's your work covey, city centre-wise? I wouldn't be against that setup, but it would be nice to have a couple of drinks and a packet of crisps to sustain the inane ramblings :)

It might be a bit funny to have a topic as such so we all sit down and stare at each other and don't want to be the first one to talk. But what about if we all bring along a print, then swap them with someone else and they can ask questions about them, to get us started? We could even bring a postcard of something other than our own work, or a book we have, just to get things going. Idea?

Friday
    Works is just behind Connolly station. I think most would prefer the pub though and probably include myself in that:D. Was just thinking of somewhere quiet.

I think the topic or whatever has it's merits, to avoid a kind a general free for all, that achieves little except a "social event", not that I've anything against "Social Events";)

Sunday
    Hmm any suggestions for topics? I'd feel a bit self conscious just coming in and stating what i'm up to these days, mostly because i'm in something of a rut :/

A Sunday of Sin...eh? Sounds good to me. (sorry)

• Advertisement
Advertisement