Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meet Up ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Friday
    elven wrote: »
    Hmm any suggestions for topics? I'd feel a bit self conscious just coming in and stating what i'm up to these days, mostly because i'm in something of a rut :/

Me too, but i am hoping the next few weeks will help me get out of it!

Maybe the first topic could be something along the lines of where people draw their inspiration from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Friday
    Your back on form Danny, lol.

Topics should probably be relevant to all genres to make it of interest to all.

How do you take photographs?

What's your approach to taking photos. Is it grab the camera and hope you "see" a photo, or more focused, sorry for pun. Do you have projects? Are they completed in a short time frame or shots that fit in over a long period. What are the advantages or not of different approaches. How can you up your success rate.

Why do you take photographs

What motivates you to take photos? Beauty, technical competence, social recording, documenting or something else. Is peer evaluation a factor? Do you copy Photographers styles and why/why not. Do you even think about it or even care?

Anyone else have ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Thursday
    But what about if we all bring along a print, then swap them with someone else and they can ask questions about them, to get us started? We could even bring a postcard of something other than our own work, or a book we have, just to get things going. Idea?

+1 to this suggestion. I have a ton of postcards I need rid off :p but on a serious note I will bring a print along for swap.

Friday
    DarrenG wrote: »
    +1 to this suggestion. I have a ton of postcards I need rid off :p but on a serious note I will bring a print along for swap.

Mmm, a face to face C&C:D

Can we un-ban Oriel for five minutes to send an invite ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Saturday
    But what about if we all bring along a print, then swap them with someone else and they can ask questions about them, to get us started? We could even bring a postcard of something other than our own work, or a book we have, just to get things going. Idea?

+1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Does Alcohol affect your Photography? - A practical session for All from Novice to Advanced food-smiley-004.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Covey wrote: »
    Can we un-ban Oriel for five minutes to send an invite ;)

Sorry no... I think there was something written into the Geneva Convention recently to prevent him from ever being removed from the banned list... And oddly enough he signed the petition to keep himself banned. Strange chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am for Sundays.
    What about connecting it with the outings on regular basis? Just to walk through one street, visiting one place and then to go to P.U.B.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Hi all,

Do you meet up much? I'd love to come along to one but would feel so out of my depth! I do equestrian photography but thats about it. But I'd love to learn more, even just to come along to listen and watch you guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Saturday
    Jemmy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Do you meet up much? I'd love to come along to one but would feel so out of my depth! I do equestrian photography but thats about it.

Jemmy

Hey Jemmy, there's meetups every so often. Nobody's ever out of their dept and the more the merrier. Everbody is always friendly (as long as you don't shoot nikon ;) )

kjt wrote: »
    Hey Jemmy, there's meetups every so often. Nobody's ever out of their dept and the more the merrier. Everbody is always friendly (as long as you don't shoot nikon ;) )

Lol no Canon Eos1 Mark III! :P

EDIT: What I use but it's not mine! :(

Friday
    Well, Sundays seem to have won out:eek:

So which one then to kick the whole thing off? 8th, 15th ??

Thursday
    Shamelessly bumping this.

I'm around this weekend but the rest of the month I'm busy every weekend.

I'm actually going to be in Dublin from Wed to Sunday of next week for my graduation.

I should have access to a D90 if anyone is around and doesn't mind a newbie tagging along?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Can I stick my neck out and make a definitive suggestion:D.

This Sunday 8th February, early afternoon (2ish, 3ish whatever) in Sin E.

I'll be in Dublin this weekend, and I'd love to get to some of these but my opportunities will be pretty limited.

Who's in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Sunday
    I'm down with that. If we have enough people around can we just kick it off with this weekend?

Thursday
    Count me in too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If I am allowed out to play I will try to make it there.

What time does Sin E open on a Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Thursday
    I don't know, but I was in there at about 5 last Sunday?

Could I possibly maybe come?! :D
    Almost total noob tho, only do Sports photography. :(

I'm working at a show on Saturday and I think I'm free Sunday but not sure yet. See can I get my hands on the camera too. So a maybe from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

It opened at 5 the last time we tried that lark. I made several forays into the rain to check it out.

Thursday
    It was definitely open a while last Sunday and all. I think we were just unlucky :p

More than welcome Jemmy. I reckon I am going to be around at this, I'm shooting a gig the night before.

Not wanting to be awkward, now that I've let the genie out of the bottle, but for logistical reasons (mundane, boring grown up things like the long drive home, childminders etc), 5.00 would be a pretty late kick off for me, would it suit people to change venue and make it a little earlier........:o

pretty please?

Edit: Just called Sin E and he was fairly vague about opening times, 'about 4' was the best offer, might be a bit earlier depending on the rugby, but probably not since Ireland are playing on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Would definitely be interested in this when I move back to Dublin probably next month. Also a complete noob so will just hide in the corner!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I should be able to make it this Sunday too. An earlier start time would be better?

Thursday
    dakar wrote: »
    Not wanting to be awkward, now that I've let the genie out of the bottle, but for logistical reasons (mundane, boring grown up things like the long drive home, childminders etc), 5.00 would be a pretty late kick off for me, would it suit people to change venue and make it a little earlier........:o

pretty please?

Edit: Just called Sin E and he was fairly vague about opening times, 'about 4' was the best offer, might be a bit earlier depending on the rugby, but probably not since Ireland are playing on Saturday.

We could meet at a coffee shop early then head to a pub later. What time are you around dakar?

Superb suggestion, thanks Darren

3ish would be great for me. Could manage 4ish at a push but would have to take off a bit more quickly than I'd like!

Should be okay by me also.

Darren, you want to go to the Botanics for a while beforehand? I am not having fun with that macro lens and I'm running out of ornaments to play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Hmm. Interesting.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

photos then pub eh.. hmm

• Advertisement

Calina wrote: »
    Should be okay by me also.

Darren, you want to go to the Botanics for a while beforehand? I am not having fun with that macro lens and I'm running out of ornaments to play with.

I'm presuming its the other Darren you mean (well the real one, not this jumped up imposter) but I'd love to come along, might even be possible to convince mrs dakar, long time since we had a wander round the bots.

My hmm.....interesting was supposed to be before Calina's post............

If that makes any difference

Which I sure it doesn't

Hmmmmmmmmm............

Sunday
    did someone say bots?

did someone say bots?

Jazus ye woke her............

Damn.

i'll need to acquire a tripod between here and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Friday
    Nice to see that Valentia is back up a kicking - must be the happy pills :D

Great idea, but I've other commitments for sunday, I'd love to try for the next meet.
    ThOnda wrote: »
    What about connecting it with the outings on regular basis? Just to walk through one street, visiting one place and then to go to P.U.B.?

I think to get things going wether it be the bots or a themed visit through the streets for a shoot this could work and help with C&C with a laptop and meet in the pub to discuss after a practical session.

Thursday
    I'm good for a cafe on Sunday

Thursday
    Calina wrote: »

Yes, sounds like a great idea. Now I have a little problem. I had intended having a pint or two in town so I'll need to figure out public transport to the Botanics. What time you talking about meeting up there?

Thursday
    4, 4a, 19, 19a and 83 will all get you there from the city centre - I'm out as far as the bots go tbh, I'll be shooting a gig the night before, and a sleep in'll be much appreciated!

• Advertisement

Friday
    Hey guys, what time and where are people planning on meeting?

I'll be down home on the Saturday but can try and time coming back up on Sunday to be able to meet up.

Thursday
    What time can you be back up for? :p

Friday
    Fajitas! wrote: »
    What time can you be back up for? :p

At the moment, most likely mid afternoon i would say! Trying to plan a trip up the mountains on Sunday morning, then back up to Dublin.

What kind of time would it suit people to meet in the Botanicals, then, as a prelude to coffee/pints?

Any time suits me (for a change:o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Friday
    I'd love to meet up this Sunday but alas I will be skiing (yay :D).

Catch yiz the next time.

Sunday
    ah you just posted that to show off :p

noon at the bots? Too early?

• Advertisement

Friday
    bovril wrote: »
    I'd love to meet up this Sunday but alas I will be skiing (yay :D).

Catch yiz the next time.

The Sugarloaf or Mount Leinster perhaps :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Friday
    Covey wrote: »
    The Sugarloaf or Mount Leinster perhaps :p

Probably could, if they'd install some chair lifts I'd be sorted :)

Thursday
    Noon sounds good if everyone is in agreement?

I may end up driving to this as the weather is not looking great for Sunday :(

12 or shortly after sounds good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm on for the cafe part, not too pushed about the wandering in the cold bit :)

Calina, whereabouts are you - do you want a lend of my tripod?

So is Sin E the one we went to after the Santa thing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement