Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

summons to court

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Hobart wrote: »
    The summons is for no insurance and failure to produce insurance. Nothing got to do with his/her licence.

The point is that if the OP had his license with him, he wouldn't have been asked to produce anything. The Garda would have looked at the license, checked the disks displayed on the windscreen and presumably have sent him on his way.

He didn't have it, which opened up this whole can of worms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

stealthyspeeder - I agree in principle with what you've been saying. However, the OP has to decide whether the idea here is to make a (good) point or to go on holidays as booked with his GF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

blah blah blah.....So to "apologise for being an arse" when not breaking the law is insulting!

Point 9, thanking the court for wasting his time? come on? bang out of order. ....blah blah blah

Tongue in cheek escape you much? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    The point is that if the OP had his license with him, he wouldn't have been asked to produce anything. The Garda would have looked at the license, checked the disks displayed on the windscreen and presumably have sent him on his way.

He didn't have it, which opened up this whole can of worms.

Sorry, you simply don't know that. Firstly your adding 1 + 1 and getting 5. Now, unless you are the actual guard who pulled this fella, or you have been speaking to him privately, we have no idea why this guy was pulled. No idea whatsoever.

Secondly, his OP is quite ambiguous, in that he says he was asked to produce his licence before. Now that could mean, after this specific incident, or on a previous occasion.

My point is, and this is my only point, the guy is looking for some help here. Not some barstool lesson and what should or should not be done. Your answer, while semi-comprehensive, does not actually address the issue he has on his hands today. Ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Jeezus - Chinese whispers here! Does the quote below not imply, however grammatically incorrect, that the OP did indeed show his licence within the 10days allowed? I could be wrong (and I say that with no sarcasm!) but that's what he seems to be intimating here. Can the OP clear that bit up at least?
    i was never told to produse my insuranse only to show my license before as i did not have it in the car which i did show it on time etc Wh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

On the summons it does not say anything about failing to produce so i take it i should be ok means im going to have to see if i can change the date of my flight to go on holiday my girlfriend isnt ging to be happy :mad:

How can you get a summons for no insurense if they dont stop you pull you over etc as i have never even parked any were near were they say

Hold on a sec, there have been a lot of post very quuickly but, there are some people saying that this issue would have been resolved if the OP had carried his license, as I understand it, he wasnt stopped, he never saw the guard, nobody asked him for his license, the guard saw a parked car and started this process, and the first the OP knows about it is the summons from court!? btw- correct me if im wrong about any of those!

And apologies for going off topic, after all my high and might legal ramblings i'd phone the station, get the guard to call you back(give out just a little!) get a soliciter to represent you, have a fantastic holiday with your girl, come back and write a letter of complaint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Hold on a sec, there have been a lot of post very quuickly but, there are some people saying that this issue would have been resolved if the OP had carried his license, as I understand it, he wasnt stopped, he never saw the guard, nobody asked him for his license, the guard saw a parked car and started this process, and the first the OP knows about it is the summons from court!? btw- correct me if im wrong about any of those!

And apologies for going off topic, after all my high and might legal ramblings i'd phone the station, get the guard to call you back(give out just a little!) get a soliciter to represent you, have a fantastic holiday with your girl, come back and write a letter of complaint!

Indeed..

The op appears to have no recollection of ever being pulled as per:
    How can you get a summons for no insurense if they dont stop you pull you over etc as i have never even parked any were near were they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭KikiDee

Anan1 wrote: »
    I've gone to court on my gf's behalf before and the judge was fine with it. I'm not advising you to send someone in on the day with your proof of insurance, but it may well save you a lot of hassle. How about calling the Garda whose name is on the summons, explaining the situation, and asking them whether it'd be OK to send someone else in. They're pretty reasonable in my experience, once they see you're trying to do the right thing.

If you do decide to go on hols as planned and get someone to stand represent you in court it'll depend on the judge in question if they're going to be fine with it. Some judges (like the one Anan1 dealed with) wouldn't have a problem but others....well you just don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

i was never told to produse my insuranse only to show my license before as i did not have it in the car which i did show it on time etc

The OP does admit to being stopped and asked to produce 'licence'.
    Ok it turns out they sent me out 2 summon's

1 For not having insurance

2 Not produceing with in 10 day's

But i was never asked to produse and i did have insuranse

One more thing they spelled my name wrong and sent it to an address i havent lived at for over 5 year's and my car is reg'ed to my new address everything for it come's to were i live now

And he was summonsed for not producing 'insurance'

The obvious explanation is the Guard recorded the incident as
    'produce licence + insurance'

The mess has been compounded by the use of the wrong address.

OP is the address on your licence your new address or your old address.
    (It's most likely a requirement to keep the address on your licence current, though I admit mine has an old address on. I should probably fix it to avoid possibility of any summonses going there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Is there any chance the OP could actually ring / meet the clark of the court and get this sorted before the actual court date?

He obviously HAD insurance at the time of the incident (and proof thereof)and as I understand it the court summons is just the result of a misunderstanding.

Seems to be a bit of a waste of everybodies time and money to actually let this go to court proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I think the OP needs to clear the details up, mainly

Were you stopped by a guard?
    What does you summons say?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I also got a summons to appear in court for not producing my insurance and tax. However I did produce them at a garda station I named and they were logged on the system. Spoke to the Garda in question and he informed me it must have been a technical fault with the system and I still have to appear in court.

Garda in question has now been moved down the country so not even sure if he is going to be in court that day and I'm going to be away on holidays for the court date. So I'm trying to find a solicitor who will be in the court that day to represent me..

Have all documentation, a letter from my insurance company showing Im insured etc but still have to be there or have a representative be there for me..

Complete pain in the a*s but the Garda in question wasnt too pushed about being helpful and fobbed me off when I eventually did get through to him..

Tox

Advertisement