Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sailing skills question

Options
  • 26-01-2009 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Looking for some opinions from experienced sailors please!

I was hoping to do a sailing course with Carlingford Sailing School sometime this year, I have no sailing experience. Given that I'm unlikely to do much/any sailing during the year apart from this course, will I just forget everything I've learned?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Courses are an excellent way to learn sailing, but what are your plans for afterwards? If you can't get out in a boat, you will forget eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Well I'm planning a lot of travel next year so I thought I might get to use it then. I don't think I'll have much opportunity to do anything before Summer 2010 though. I decided that I'd like to learn a good while ago, but I don't think I really thought it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭breadmond

speaking as a sailing instructor, you definetley won't forget everything you learn, but if you want to keep up any decent level of skills you should try to get out on the water whenever you can, just to keep things fresh in your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I saw the Carlingford school boats in the marina las year and I was impressed by the standard shown by all on board including the trainees. You won't forget everything but it's no harm reading up on the theory again after a long break. Enjoy the course!

breadmond wrote: »
    speaking as a sailing instructor, you definetley won't forget everything you learn, but if you want to keep up any decent level of skills you should try to get out on the water whenever you can, just to keep things fresh in your mind

Well, suppose you don't know anyone who owns a boat and you've just done a basic sailing course (I think it's called 'Competent Crew'?), what would be the most convenient and cheapest way of 'getting out on the water' occasionally?

• Advertisement

cfitz wrote: »
    Well, suppose you don't know anyone who owns a boat and you've just done a basic sailing course (I think it's called 'Competent Crew'?), what would be the most convenient and cheapest way of 'getting out on the water' occasionally?

Pop into the local boat club. Boats are always looking for crew and if you know which end points to the front they'll take you on. Go into the club and ask if anyone needs crew, explain that you're trying to learn and most skippers will be more than helpful especially if they think you'll be regular crew for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Post on the websites of the sailing clubs - there are always owners looking for crew for racing in the summer - no experience necessary, just enthusiasm.

Pop into the local boat club. Boats are always looking for crew and if you know which end points to the front they'll take you on. Go into the club and ask if anyone needs crew, explain that you're trying to learn and most skippers will be more than helpful especially if they think you'll be regular crew for them.

Sorry if these are silly questions but when you say that boats are looking for crew, would these generally be for:

a trip that lasts a few days?
    a trip that lasts a few hours?
    some sort of race or competition?

And would it basically be them giving you an opportunity to learn and practice while helping them, with no money involved for either party?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I would say there's a possibility of any of those three - a lot depends on the nature of the club. If they do lots of racing then that's more likely what you'll end up doing.

I can't speak for everyone, but other than an overnight trip I don't think any money would be expected.

noby wrote: »
    I would say there's a possibility of any of those three - a lot depends on the nature of the club. If they do lots of racing then that's more likely what you'll end up doing.

I can't speak for everyone, but other than an overnight trip I don't think any money would be expected.

I'd never pay to go on a club boat for a trip. Especially short ones or overnight etc. If it's a longer trip sharing costs is normal but this is normally done with buying fuel and food together and wouldn't normally involve cash being handed over. Most boats are shorthanded so crewing for them is payment.

• Advertisement

Great, sounds good. Thanks people!
    I'd never pay to go on a club boat for a trip.......... Most boats are shorthanded so crewing for them is payment.

I'm not familiar with these phrases...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

A boat owned by a club member, I presume.

And shorthanded is just a term used when a full compliment of crew isn't on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

a trip that lasts a few days?
    a trip that lasts a few hours?
    some sort of race or competition?

And would it basically be them giving you an opportunity to learn and practice while helping them, with no money involved for either party?

Good questions - don't be afraid to keep asking if you're unsure.
    The most likely scenario for you will be club racing - this means racing around a set course - typically lasting a few hours, and all the competitors will be from the same club (or vicinity in the case of Dublin Bay). Summer racing takes place midweek and on several weekends - if you can commit to midweek evening racing you may find it easier to get a spot as generally this is when crews are harder to come by. Note that when I say racing you don't need to have any experience (for all bar the most competitive cruisers - which you aren't going to get anywhere near). Usually a boat will just need an extra pair of hands on board, and as you pick things up you become more and more useful.

A good analogy is to think of it in similar terms to golf - at an amateur level you have a huge variation in ability, commitment, training etc.. While there are amateur sailors akin to Walker Cup players in golf (amateur version of Ryder Cup), most people who sail are just like your average joe who turns up on a Saturday to play a round of golf and records his score as there happens to be a competition ongoing. Similarly in sailing there are handicaps depending on how good a sailor you are and how fast your boat is. For the majority of people, racing just provides a focus - a route to follow and other boats to sail with - winning is a nice bonus but people rate their experience based on how much they enjoyed it and how nice the weather was etc..

Anyway, midweek racing in Dun Laoghaire is Tuesday and Thursday evenings - you need to be able to get to Dun Laoghaire for about 5.30 and on Wednesday evenings in Howth - about 6pm. Money does not change hands - regular crew are in short supply these days. For weekend races or regattas you would typically be out most of the day and would need to bring lunch - some boats will do this co-operatively, (one person brings sandwiches, one brings cake etc...) but just ask your captain what the story is.

Pigeon reaper's reference to a club boat is to distinguish from a charter boat or a sailing school boat. Esentially if the boat is just a private boat, you shouldn't be paying to go on it.

Links to websites are below - either post a message yourself, reply to one posted, or email the club with your details...

Dun Laoghaire Motor Yacht Club
    Royal Irish Yacht Club (Dun Laoghaire)
    National Yacht Club (Dun Laoghaire)
    Royal St George Yacht Club (Dun Laoghaire)
    Howth Yacht Club
    Malahide Yacht Club

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Great post mcgratheoin, that covers most of it.

Just to add.. if you are getting into club racing / cruising then 99% of the time you would be expected to have your own wet gear and lifejacket.
    These can be quite expensive initially but a decent set should last you many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I totally agree about doing some cruiser racing at your local club. You will get plenty of time on the water that way. You will limit yourself in the amount you are going to learn though. You'll sitting on the rail for a lot your time.

My advice would be to see if there was some adult dingy racing happening, GK14, Enterprise, Nat 18 etc...

At least you might get a chance to do some helming before/after the race, you won't get near the helm on a cruiser. You will only really begin to learn when you are doing the driving.

I would always advise anyone to learn how to sail in a dingy first. When you learn the basics everything is just on a bigger scale on Yachts (few more rope's is all!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 duckegg135

Hi Cfitz,
    I did my competent crew week 2 years ago (with the Carlingford Sea School!) and although I've not had the opportunity to do much with it since - I definitely haven't forgotten everything - I don't think it would take long to get back up to scratch either. But ideally - if you do your comp crew course this year - then you should try and build up the hours and the new skills that you'll acquire. I've great memories of that week on Carlingford Lough. It's a great place to start.
    Good luck

Advertisement