Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 26-01-2009 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Could somebody advise me what is the maximum period that dogs should be kept outside in kennels for?

I don't personally keep my own dog in a kennel but I am concerned about an animal that spends too long in my opinion in a kennel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Do you mean legally? Not sure how long once they have food water and shelter the law is pretty vague (although I could be wrong feel free to correct me).

Around here a lot of gun dogs seem to be kept in a run pretty much all the time unless they are out hunting sometimes you'll see them out on the road but on occasionally and the road here is lethal.

My two have a large shed attached to the run and as I don't work mine are out a lot sometimes long stretches or sometimes on the hour it all depends on the weather really.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Do you mean should you keep them in doors?
    Mine live Permanently out doors in a Kennel but they do get walked and are not chained up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I think it depends on the dog - outdoor working dogs (gun dogs & the like) I wouldn't be too worried about. But pet-type lap dogs etc aren't really suited to being left outside all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm confused by the question. Do you mean the dog is outdoors and you think it should be in the house from time to time. :confused:
    Mine is outside in a kennel within a run all the time bar walks and playing (sleeping??) in the garden when we are home.
    Do you mean locked in a kennel 24 hours a day 7 days a week or just an outside dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Sorry for not being clear on my original post.

I mean the dog is locked in a kennel, not just outside. All night then let out for a few minutes to do its business then kept during the day from 8am-5.30pm locked inside the kennel with just about enough room to stand in.

Then the dog is outside for a few hours and brought for a walk then back in the kennel.

I am considering ringing the authorities as I think this is animal cruelty and i'm just wondering if they would take my concerns seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

well it sound like there would be no case for animal cruelty, as the dog is being left out and is being taking for a walk and as you said is left out for a few hours,
    but on a personal note i think you may have to bite your tongue on this one, if the dog was left in the kennel without being left out, and left in its own poo you may have a case to bring.
    hope someone else can shed for light on this.
    mossie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Locked in a kennel all night and from 8am to 5.30pm? :eek:
    Sounds cruel to me.
    Does the dog have drinking water in the kennel? Does he have room to move around?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Call the SPCA without fail. Let them check the dog. It is clearly being confined in a space that is too small.

I used to live in a civilised country called England - really hard to buy a kennel there as virtually no one would think of keeping any dog outside. People did it 40 years ago not now.

If you don't want a dog to share your life & home then why get one ?

Sounds extremely cruel to me. The Dog will go demented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Discodog wrote: »
    I used to live in a civilised country called England - really hard to buy a kennel there as virtually no one would think of keeping any dog outside.

Sorry for the drift off topic but is this the same England where Animal Welfare groups and local councils are run ragged dealing with animal cruelty cases? Have you not kept up to date with issues there since you left? 37 horses had to be put down recently on a farm due to cruel and inhumane treatment. Deplorable conditions have been found in dozens of "puppy farms". A terrier last month had it's jaw blown off when thugs tied a firework to it's head. In the past 6 months 4 farms were closed down due to the deplorable mistreatment of aminals. This is not strict policing of animal welfare legislation but a reaction to intolerable cruely.
    And you find keeping a dog outside to be cruel! Let's keep some perspective here. I agree that the situation the OP describes is far from perfect and warrants investigation but don't cite other countries as though they are blameless when they have their own poor record on the treatment of animals.

• Advertisement

I think Discodog has this old Imperialistic delusional attitude that some
    English people have.

Srameen. You are worse for even answering him/her. Delusional people
    do not listen to reason or valid points of view.
    Ignorance is bliss as they say.

I was a member of an English forum were Irish jokes were posted all the time. I got aggrevied about it and complained to the Admins. I was told
    that they were only jokes and that I should just laugh at them.
    Anyway, I posted up a few English jokes and I was banned for life and the
    jokes were removed.

I am not aiming this reply at English people. I am jusy making a point.
    I am not a Bigot or a racist of an sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭05D

I think Discodog has this old Imperialistic delusional attitude that some
    English people have.

Srameen. You are worse for even answering him/her. Delusional people
    do not listen to reason or valid points of view.
    Ignorance is bliss as they say.

I was a member of an English forum were Irish jokes were posted all the time. I got aggrevied about it and complained to the Admins. I was told
    that they were only jokes and that I should just laugh at them.
    Anyway, I posted up a few English jokes and I was banned for life and the
    jokes were removed.

I am not aiming this reply at English people. I am jusy making a point.
    I am not a Bigot or a racist of an sort.

Bigot/ Rasist??? What has that got to do with the dog been stuck in a kennel all dall, you have all gone totally off the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I would defo ring the DSPCA, explain and they will make a judgement. No harm in letting them know the situation and they'll deal with it accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 luvablelizzie

I actually work for the spca voluntarily and I have to say I wouldn't agree to leaving a dog in a kennel constantly, especially not for long periods of time.
    Personally I think it'd be fine to leave the dog outside in a run or even on a long leash (not chain, too heavy and awkward!) provided it gets walked everyday, fed everyday and constantly has water and shelter to return to. And I would definitely get him/her a friend so that they could play together.

But in regards the spca, some branches can be extremely strict, and think that even leaving a dog outside for over 4 hours is cruelty. I do not agree, but it is at the discression of the spca person in charge for whatever case is being dealt with.
    Also you have to remember that some people do not have room for a big dog inside all the time, and that dogs can be destructive. They might have an old person living with them, or children or they simply can't afford to buy a new couch every week. lol

I have 3 big dogs who do live in my house, but if Im going out then they get put in crates in the utility room, so that they can not do harm to themselves or to the house. I have heard of puppies and dogs being left to roam the house and getting bored and chewing live wires, which is a why I wouldn't always agree with that either.

Dogs are extremely like having young children, they can get into anything at anytime and can be quite unpredicatable at times!! lol

Having said that, I adore my 'little' babies and hope to have many more in the future!!! Hope that helps!!!

Advertisement