Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions-Who should Fedors next 3 opponents be and when? (ideally)

• 26-01-2009 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

The question is: All promotions considered - are there actually that many fighters out there with half a chance against Fedor - really?
    and if not....then who the hell are they gonna feed him apart from Barnett and Lesnar? and poss Mir who has finally acheived over-rated status and would get eaten by Fedor first round.

Arlovski should get a rematch after Barnett if Fedor wins that - only fair - had the makings of a great long hard fight before the knockout - could have been classic.

Anyone else have a chance? - opinionsssssssss pleeeeeeeeese

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

At least one fight with Lesnar so I can watch the internet implode when Brock wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Me.

He'll retire after that!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Good thread..

Ideally id like to see him fight Barnett first, then the winner of lesnar/mir, and then whoever is the no 1 contender in the ufc at that stage. Would be nice if it was overeem.

After these fights, Fedor retires and goes into politics lol

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Gdep

Anderson Silva, Lesnar and Frank Mir.

Silva : Pound for pound best in the world

Brock Lesnar i think would over power him and i think hes had enough training now to avoid getting caught by submission.

After seeing what Mir did to Nogueira on his feet and what we know he can do on the ground i think it would make a good fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Not to descend into sherdogism but the following I feel all have a chance* of beating Fedor.

In no particular order.

Andrei Alovski

Pros: Superior boxing, size, athleticism
    Cons: Weaker chin, prone to doing stupid things

Josh Barnett:

Pros: Well rounded, Intelligent
    Cons: Not as fast as fedor

Quinton Jackson

Pros: Superior boxing, take down defense, extremely strong
    Cons: No submission offence, smaller than fedor

Allistair Overeem

Pros: Good kickboxing, size, strength
    Cons: Checkered record, submission defense.

Anderson Silva

Pros: Better boxing, knowledgable on the ground
    Cons: Much smaller

Frank Mir:

Pros: Big and athletic and possibly good boxing and submissions
    Cons: Inconsistent

Gabriel Gonzaga

Pros: Very big, very well rounded
    Cons: Mentally prepared to fight Fedor?

Forrest Griffen

Pros: Very tough, follows game plan
    Cons: May get rocked by Fedor's punches

Randy Couture:

Pros: Tough, follow good game plan
    Cons: Past his best

Sergei Kharintarov

Pros: trained with/by Fedor
    Cons: not as good as Fedor

Brock Lesnar:

Pros: Won't be taken down, Unpredictable, size
    Cons: unproven, untested, no submission offence/defence

* who am I kidding, Fedor is unbeatable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

EDIT: Come on for God sake.

Neil

........Brock comes out.............Fedor throws a perfect whipping overhand right................Brocks not there coz he's bullet time ducked under and locomotived through Fedors mid-section ...and leaped into the air over the ropes ...peaked....and inverted.....10 feet down onto the concrete spearing Fedors limp dead broken carcass on the white cement..............rising ....................without a scratch.............not a ****in scratch.........towering above the dead russian..........to the still-silent awe of all mankind.............breathing.........audibly.........and then cracking his neck around........click click....click....and just walking away in fading slow motion.........head down........... into the mist .....................back............................to the jungle............where he belongs...................obviously .............to this tune...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6bSRcRAhnc&feature=related

soretoe wrote: »
    stupid random gibberish that broke the thread
    Ouch! You just hurt my eyes :eek: :)

So you think Arloski deserves a rematch? Yet you see him not getting out of round 1 again? Whats the reasoning behind having the rematch then?

Fedor v Arloski 2 is pointless at this stage. Possibly down the road if Arloski can beat some more top competition without getting knocked out again..

well ok he's got a weak chin................but he's very strong very fast very skilled in all ranges so...........ah fook it I dont know..........it'd be a good match if it went past rd 1 but lets be honest Fedor is.....x....y...z....amazing brilliant......faultless...........so if anyone can even theoretically create a good fight with him then they should get a chance.........kongo couldn't and he's rumoured to be up next with Brock after the Mir fight...........Gonzaga couldn't as stated...............and I dont really see Mir doin well either coz of two things - 1. he's just not good enough on his feet (irrespective of what a finished Nog made him look to be) and 2. Refer to No.1
    There is however a school of thought which says put him in with a few lads with good chins and a swingers chance - like Mark Hunt or that fat lad from afflicitons lower tier heavy weight cant think of his name.or fook it even kimbo...nobody expects anyone to beat Fedor anyway..........and people know there's a ltd number a guys on the planet that will even get into the ring.....literally....apart.....from .....Brock who will.......probably win....if it ever happens......plus he'll have a couple good fights/wins and loads more training by the time it happens.....mua ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

lol

didnt realise we had so many ufc fan boys :rolleyes:

fedor wud beat brock no argument. maybe in a few years brock will be good enough but right now he just isnt.

also to whoever said that lesnar has enough training in submissions now is being incredibly naive, 3 months compared to 10 years + on fedors training and fighting ? dont be so ridiculous.

/rant

I would love to see fedor against :

Arlovski rematch, Andrei deserves it.

Josh Barnett might gve him a few problems but i dont really see him having the quality to beat fedor, so this wudnt be one of my choices.

Overeem would be a decent fight too.

TBH currently, i cannot see anyone beating Fedor. Arlovski i felt had the best chance of any of the current Heavyweights and he has been dispatched.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Do not smoke and then post. You are hurting sober people's eyes.

I like to think of myself as a snobby purist, but I have to say I think Lesnar is the only one capable of beating Fedor right now. It's a fight I'd like to see and given Affliction's woes, it may happen. Although I think just as Lesnar gets top and begins to pound him, and the MMA purists the world over begin to cry, there's a chance that Fedor will transcend the physical form, and become an ethereal being made of pure thought...

... he's done everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

fedor is way too seasoned/skilled to be taken out by lesner imo , bar a mistake and a good strike.

Would have lovbed to see him against overeem but that seem unlikely based on seeing him with dana @ ufc 93 :mad:

The other obvious ones if where talking matches that could be made but are unrealistic are:

Sidelnokov - how sweet would it be to see him beaten by baby Fedor :D

and the big one alexander emelianenko - how sweet would that be

would not bet against Fedor with either of them though

I like Fedor and do buy into his mythical status etc just not the hype ,he is a man, he can and will be beaten the question is when and how badly and by whom will be be beaten.

I just dont want him to turn in to another anderson silva where they throw sub par opponents against him.

Actually that would be good if they where in the same weight class wouldnt it ? they are both referenced as best pound for ponders lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Zuluzinho
    Emmanuel Yarborough
    Thomas Ramirez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Barnett, of course, has all the tools to beat Fedor, but can he do it is the question?

For some reason however, I just want to see Fedor fight Datsik if he's still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ta2liam

i think mir at his best would be a good match up for fedor for a 1st ufc fight and he he beat mir then lesner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

Roper wrote: »
    Although I think just as Lesnar gets top and begins to pound him, and the MMA purists the world over begin to cry, there's a chance that Fedor will transcend the physical form, and become an ethereal being made of pure thought...

... he's done everything else.

that was the most beautiful mma post i have ever read !!!!

Seriously tough, Lesnar just doesnt have the tools yet. I don't even doubt for a secound that in 2 years time, if Lesnar keeps training and doesnt shrink over night, he will easily beat any man alive. When He trains more and learns more submissions and submission defence, improves his ground game even more then he will have a chance at Fedor. Watch this space because Lesnar will be the next "baddest man alive" .

But not yet.

Sm0ke wrote: »
    lol

didnt realise we had so many ufc fan boys :rolleyes:

With a post as juvenile as that you shouldn’t be calling people boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

+1 for Overeem, Gonzaga and Barnett

Overeem for his size and striking ability but he when it goes to the ground, i cant see him getting up a winner.

Gonzaga for his ground game and his unpredictability standing up. However any time he has lost, it has been to strikes.

Barnett, basically because so many people want to see it. Yes, he is big and well rounded but he is also slow in comparison to Fedor. He wouldnt want to stand with Fedor, so it would be a battle to see who lands on top on the ground. If Fedor gets on top, even in Barnetts guard..its over. If Barnett ends up on top, even in the mount, i cant see him finishing Fedor.

I do agree with Rovert though, that when Lesnar beats him, the internet will implode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

In all honesty, Semmy Schilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I dont seen any point in the Arvolski rematch - Fedor knows what to expect the the result would be more of the same. Arvolski reminded me of how a skilled boxer would fair out in MMA - boxing skills aint enough.

Anderson Silva or Frank Mir would be a great challenge for Fedor.

Fedor would IMO will beat Brock Lesnar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

T-K-O wrote: »
    I dont seen any point in the Arvolski rematch - Fedor knows what to expect the the result would be more of the same. Arvolski reminded me of how a skilled boxer would fair out in MMA - boxing skills aint enough.

Anderson Silva or Frank Mir would be a great challenge for Fedor.

Fedor would IMO will beat Brock Lesnar.

His lack of chin is nothing to do with Boxing, he was winning using his boxing skills up to that point, no individual skill in mma is enough though.
    and a bad chin will be a bad chin no matter what skill you come from.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    His lack of chin is nothing to do with Boxing, he was winning using his boxing skills up to that point, no individual skill in mma is enough though.
    and a bad chin will be a bad chin no matter what skill you come from.

I wasn't talking about his chin, rather his early domination with superior boxing skills.

In saying that not many guys would have taken that shot and if they did Fedor would have been all over them at that stage.

actually - now that you mention chin - he does seem to go out really really quickly - like a light - would that not be a sign to pack it in......I mean its a game of face punching....why put yourself at risk if the switch off mechanism in your particular head is so sensistive - would that not mean he's probably more prone to gettin punched stupid in his mma career - which still has probably 8 years - coz he's only 29 now. anyway just a thought - if he goes against brock - one hammerfist upside the head on the ground and he's out cold. If he rematches Fedor - same risk - lights out bedtime. Poor fooker just goes out like a switch. Pity coz I agree he has serious boxing skills - speed footwork combos.....give him a helmut!

anyone actually know how much Fedor making for these afflicition fights ?$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

300k plus - but anyone know how much ?
    Obviously he should by all reckoning be gettin the most spondoolix in the world of MMA by the logic that he's the recognised lb for lb best of the best but it's probably not true is it ? ..............coz guaranteed GSP and BJ will clean up more cash this weekend. Afflicitions pay per view figures are small I assume compared to UFC. Saw somethin like 100,000 buys for Day of reckoning - compared to say 1 million plus for Chuck V Tito. That's like $4m compared to $40m.

actually - now that you mention chin - he does seem to go out really really quickly - like a light - would that not be a sign to pack it in

You need a Phd to say that on this board :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

anyone actually know how much Fedor making for these afflicition fights ?$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

300k plus - but anyone know how much ?
    Obviously he should by all reckoning be gettin the most spondoolix in the world of MMA by the logic that he's the recognised lb for lb best of the best but it's probably not true is it ? ..............coz guaranteed GSP and BJ will clean up more cash this weekend. Afflicitions pay per view figures are small I assume compared to UFC. Saw somethin like 100,000 buys for Day of reckoning - compared to say 1 million plus for Chuck V Tito. That's like $4m compared to $40m.

No offence, but your posts are a bitch to read, so to be honest i tend to not bother. Please tone down the number of symbols and such you use, try out proper sentence structure as well.

Remember, plenty of people on the net have different sets up and some have issues that affect their reading.....if i can't be bothered to read some of your posts i can only assume it's a right bitch for them.

fair enough fair comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Anderson Silva, Randy couture and the big wrestler (brock) has to be in the reckoning!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Fedor is on 300k plus PPV and Arvolski 1.5 million :eek:

• Advertisement

He beats Semmy handily enough imo. but it could be an interesting fight down the road if Semmy strings a few decent mma wins together.

The Lesnar match-up is probably the most intruiging one at the moment. Im not sure if either of them can stand up to each others punching power. I got the feeling in the Randy fight that Brock doesnt like to get hit. If Fedor turns up the pressure early in that match, I can see Brock folding.

If Fedor has one chink in his armour you might say it is his chin. We've seen him go a bit wobbly now on on numerous occaions. Brock hits like a freight train. If he connects and gets on top of fedor with that 50 or so pound weight difference, it could be all over.

Advertisement