Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating Skyight duct

Options
  • 26-01-2009 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

I've a velux skylight in the en suite toilet - there's a box of foil backed plasterboard from the ceiling up to the window - about 8' high or so; tapering from 4'x3' at the ceiling to about 3'x2' at the window.
    While I was in the attic at other stuff, I noticed the fibreglass insulation had slumped down about 9" or so from the top nearest the skylight, letting most of the heat escape into the attic space.

i was wondering the best way to insulate this. I was thinking some rigid insulation board outside(in the attic) the existing plasterboard and re-wrap the fibreglass around this.
    I don't know how to keep the fibreglass attached to the almost vertical duct without compressing it ether - I'm guessing this was a sloppy job by the builders.

I'm also wondering about having rigid insulation right up to the felt underneath the tiles, should I leave a gap- wasting heat- of fit it as cose as possible to the roof?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

You could install foil faced insulation board - kingspan, xtratherm etc, then overlay fibre glass and hold it in place with nylon builders string or plastic netting (from Garden centre)

Bring insulation right up to felt around velux - no gaps!

Do you really need to install insulation board?
    Fibre glass might be enough - especially if theres no gaps and you increase thickness to 250mm.

Advertisement