Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a mac onto eircom wireless

Options
  • 26-01-2009 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi
    i am a new mac user and have bought a new aluminium mac book. great!!!
    but i have eircom broad band and have a netopia wireless router, iam having trouble putting my mac onto this network with this router, as when i go to connect it asks me for a wep password, which i understabd is the same a network key, but when i enter it it says connection error,
    i have connected to "ice" broadband through a belkin router with the network key provided and no problems connected first time,
    am I doing somthing wrong?
    all comments and help are most appreciated
    thanks
    Ronan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Cian R

I dont think that this is in the right section

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Bumping over to broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

ronan2k wrote: »
    Hi
    i am a new mac user and have bought a new aluminium mac book. great!!!
    but i have eircom broad band and have a netopia wireless router, iam having trouble putting my mac onto this network with this router, as when i go to connect it asks me for a wep password, which i understabd is the same a network key, but when i enter it it says connection error,
    i have connected to "ice" broadband through a belkin router with the network key provided and no problems connected first time,
    am I doing somthing wrong?
    all comments and help are most appreciated
    thanks
    Ronan

Go to http://192.168.1.254 and click the "Wireless" link on the side of the screen. Enter the text marked "Encryption Key" when your Mac asks for the WEP password, do not enter the one marked "Default Key".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

This is nothing to do with broadband or Macs. It's just Router setup. You may need an ethernet cable to start with.

You should use ethernet cable for initial router setup and write down a long random WPA passphrase as key for router and Mac.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your best bet is to connect the mac to the router by ethernet. Then access the router settings through http://192.168.1.254. go into the wireless settings and change your security to wpa - you can then set your own password. change the network wirelss name (ssid) too - save your settings and exit.

Now your network should show up on the mac and to access it all you well need to do is enter the new password.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

alternatively you need to delete the network you joined in system preferences > networks and the saved password in the keychain access. make sure you delete the correct one here. reboot and make sure you put in the correct password this time.

http://s4dd.yore.ma/eircom/ will probably give you a reason to chain your password but the netopia routers are unreal crap at this. it lets you join a network but gives you no ip, os x thinks you password is fine then thats what causes the problem.

Advertisement