Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to deal with post?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

I'm doing a training course so I won't be around during the morning when parcels will come. I'm wondering what's the best solution? It's insanely hard to get to the south side depot. Can I order it to a post office or somewhere else? Is there a list of post offices anywhere so I can find one near to me? I'm near Wilton.

Maybe there's some kind of box I could get to put it outside the house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

Theres a service called Mailminder. Post wont be delivered to you while you are away but kept until you return.

It will mostly be kept at your sorting office as thats where it comes from, post only leaves post offices, its not meant to be returned there (although post offices in rural areas may make their own arrangements with locals).

This link will tell you about Mailminder
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Wizards/Manage+my+mail/mailminder.htm

P.S. - There is a charge for the sevice (most people dont realise this when they hand fom in at counter - its 30euros if youre away less than 4 weeks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭L.R. Weizel

That's ridiculous, why can't they just hold it a post office?

This is going to be an ongoing thing - I can't afford to pay 30 euros a month for it.

Most people are going to be at work during the days so how on earth do they deal with this? If there was a bus out to the depot it wouldn't be so bad, but there isn't.

Is there some kind of big mailbox I can get?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

It is a ****e location for the delivery office where it is now. Every time I go there to collect something, there are always a few taxis waiting outside for people collecting parcels. The bloody things should be sent to the GPO for collection. Not some out of the way depot which is completely inaccessible.

Can't believe An Post get away with it. Hang on...this is Ireland...of course they get away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Ludo wrote: »
    It is a ****e location for the delivery office where it is now. Every time I go there to collect something, there are always a few taxis waiting outside for people collecting parcels. The bloody things should be sent to the GPO for collection. Not some out of the way depot which is completely inaccessible.

Can't believe An Post get away with it. Hang on...this is Ireland...of course they get away from it.

Inaccessible? Its adjacent to one of the most central roundabouts in the city.

Central???? Central to where exactly?

If you drive then fine. What about old people, students, people who choose not to drive?

• Advertisement

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Inaccessible? Its adjacent to one of the most central roundabouts in the city.

Which makes it harder to cross if you're walking there, which you have to if you don't have a car. It's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Could you not have a neighbour take your parcels in for you?

There is a way to walk there avoiding the major roundabout in fairness, but come on...it is in the arse end of nowhere, stuck in the back of an industrial area. Anyone who thinks this is a good location for a service like this needs their head examined.
    RAFC wrote: »

What if your neighbour doesn't spot the postman?

RAFC wrote: »

I don't know any of my neighbours and they're all students.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Ludo wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks this is a good location for a service like this needs their head examined.

I think it's a grand location very handy to get to and no trouble parking.
    but then again I have a car.

It's hard to suit everyone all the time.

• Advertisement

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I think it's a grand location very handy to get to and no trouble parking.
    but then again I have a car.

It's hard to suit everyone all the time.

Oh come on they didn't even try to suit people without a car. That's just a terrible excuse. It's not that they're trying to suit anyone, it's just that you have a car and it happened to be a place that wasn't incredibly hard to go to with one.

Well it suits me!

Anyway you must be getting a lot of parcels for this to be an issue, maybe mailminder is the best idea for you, or a PO box
    There is a list of all post offices on www.anpost.ie
    But I dont think they will take delivery for you.
    eg if it is registered and needs to be signed for.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Eglington Street used be a curse - there wasn't anywhere to park if you had to collect. It was also a pain for the folk that lived on the edges of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I got to talking with my postie and from now on he drops it into my neighbours on either side. They don't mind and it's good cause I get to know my neighbours a bit more. Living next to people for 10 years and not even knowing their names is a joke like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Oh come on they didn't even try to suit people without a car. That's just a terrible excuse. It's not that they're trying to suit anyone, it's just that you have a car and it happened to be a place that wasn't incredibly hard to go to with one.

If you are getting that many packages why don't you get them sent to a different address to somone who is in, or stop ordering so much c**p on the net.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

The no.14 bus goes there. The GPO can't take in post, its a post office, i.e. its post is outgoing and there is no facility for the storage of post.

murphym7 wrote: »
    If you are getting that many packages why don't you get them sent to a different address to somone who is in, or stop ordering so much c**p on the net.:D

I can't believe two people thanked this post. It's not surprising that this country is such a **** hole really with comments like this. I get maybe 2 packages a month, sometimes more. You know why? Because the vast majority of shops here are complete bull****. And guess what, so is the postal service. I don't have the time to be going to the depot 2-4 times a month. The No. 3 and 14 only go near there, there's still a ton of walking and it's insanely awkward getting . I shouldn't have to take a whole day out just to pick up a parcel. It's ridiculous. Most people work during the day, so most people can't get parcels without some silly arrangement. It's nuts.

Firstly this comment makes no sense
    It's not surprising that this country is such a **** hole really with comments like this

Secondly I do agree with your point about the shops being crap here - I buy a good bit of stuff of the net

BUT.....

"Most People" have the ability to arrange something so they don't have to go to the delivery office when they are geting frequent deliveries.
    "Most People" have neighbours who will take the package for them.
    "Most People" can get stuff delivered to their work place

That plus the two soloutions mentioned above (Mailminder or PO box) should suffice.
    Also did you ever hear of a taxi or have a mate with a car???...

For what it's worth we have one of the best postal services in Europe.

Maybe I should start a collection service...
    How much would you be willing to pay??......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Most people work during the day, so most people can't get parcels without some silly arrangement. It's nuts.

Including your postman...... I'm pretty sure that that depot opens at 7ish so there's no reason why you can't just get up a little early and collect a package before work. Failing that you could arrange for delivery from the sender through parcelforce or dhl etc.....

Including your postman...... I'm pretty sure that that depot opens at 7ish so there's no reason why you can't just get up a little early and collect a package before work. Failing that you could arrange for delivery from the sender through parcelforce or dhl etc.....
    What are you talking about? It's bloody awkward to get down there that early. Either way, I hate all this "Most people" crap. It doesn't excuse it being so bad. The reason things are so bad, is down to people making constant excuses for this thing. Just because it's possible, doesn't mean it isn't awkward.
    For what it's worth we have one of the best postal services in Europe.
    What!? Back this up please. Other mail services would let you keep it in the post office, or have depots more sensibly placed.

• Advertisement

It's bloody awkward to get down there that early.

Nope it's not - wake up @ half 6 call a taxi = job done :D
    What!? Back this up please. Other mail services would let you keep it in the post office, or have depots more sensibly placed.

I did research into the postal services in europe for a project before. Ireland had one of the lowest prices and best speed of delivery.

What other european countries keep your mail till you feel like picking it as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Nope it's not - wake up @ half 6 call a taxi = job done :D

I did research into the postal services in europe for a project before. Ireland had one of the lowest prices and best speed of delivery.

What other european countries keep your mail till you feel like picking it as a matter of interest?

Umm, Spain? Well, they give you 15 days (though the sender can request a return sooner.) And they store it at the nearest post office and not in some out-of-the-way industrial depot.

As for inconvenient depot locations, you southside guys have it lucky. I remember having to walk to the postal depot on the Northside to pick up something. Jesus Christ. It was like something dreamed up by Ceausescu. Beating off the dogs while picking your way through the travelers' encampment into an "industrial estate" whose prime products seemed to be burned-out cars. The guy behind the counter was astounded that I had walked there and suggested I get a car.

Which seems to be much the same suggestion offered by posters here. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

FYI Don't forget to bring some sort of photo ID to that sh!t hole. Otherwise they will tell you to Pi$$ off noddy.
    Happened to me once and I was sooooo annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

If you order stuff off the net, they will often only post to the address the credit card is registered to - especially the first time you use a company. :(

Understandable, but annoying.

Advertisement