Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of wine

• 26-01-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

The price of wine seems to have increased greatly since Christmas. The addition of the new 50 cent tax cannot explain the base price for wine now standing at 10.50 in both Dunnes and Supervalu. I haven't had a chance to check the prices in Tesco yet, but the similarity of price increases in Dunnes and Supervalu are quite suspicious. Has anybody else had noticed this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

Order oversea's perhaps?, especially if you want fine wine ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

for a start as you have pointed out there was the 50c increase on wine at the budget but then in December there was a rise in VAT adding a furter few cents.

When you refer to a base price what do you mean? im selling wine for €6.99 top stuff as well

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Dunnes base price is well below 10.50 !

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭richardn

Sainsburys just before Christmas were selling a range of Whites, Reds and Rose 3 bottles for £10

Bought 60 bottles last trip to the North and 60 bottles previous visit.

Shipping costs are far more than a car journey to the North. I looked at bringing Wine in from Italy but it just isnt cost effective when Sainsburys is on your door step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭hill16dub

shop up north

supermarkets down here operate a cartel structure where they match their prices jointly on popular products. Only differences are branded products which are usually crap quality.

Proof of the pudding is in superquinn where they dispaly signs stating ' price matched'

Sainsbury have a great list of quality wine at reasonable prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont forget wine sales having risen sharpley here and i think its still perceived as a premium product and therefore the supermarkets charge more personally i go north (even though the duty was raised in the uk on wine) or i go to france (buy the stuff thats 20 euro a bottle here for 5 euro from the vineyard and enjoy some decent weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

richardn wrote: »
    Sainsburys just before Christmas were selling a range of Whites, Reds and Rose 3 bottles for £10

Bought 60 bottles last trip to the North and 60 bottles previous visit.

Shipping costs are far more than a car journey to the North. I looked at bringing Wine in from Italy but it just isnt cost effective when Sainsburys is on your door step.

Yup and it's people like yourself that our adding to the job loss in Ireland. Comes around to bite you in the ass. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Yup and it's people like yourself that our adding to the job loss in Ireland. Comes around to bite you in the ass. :(

No it's not. It's people like our inept government that our adding to job losses by hking VAT and duty during a recession and not encouraging competition. People like 'him' are doing something about it by voting with his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

hill16dub wrote: »
    shop up north

supermarkets down here operate a cartel structure where they match their prices jointly on popular products. Only differences are branded products which are usually crap quality.

Proof of the pudding is in superquinn where they dispaly signs stating ' price matched'

Sainsbury have a great list of quality wine at reasonable prices.

Doesn't this sum up the problems in retail in this country, "Price Matched" may as well say "We're not going to entice you with better prices, but we're matching our buddies down the road so you may as well come to us sometimes too. Go on, go on, go on...."

Its the most blatent cartel behaviour without being prearranged or is it ;) The sad fact is probably not, but they're happy to play the game cause we lose and they win. SuperQuinn should have a sign up saying "Price Matched....and Beaten!" Thats good business!

shop every week in superquinn, i go up north for booze or deterg. etc

Superquinn havn' t dropped any of their prices in the last 6 months other than stock they are trying to clear and they put them at the front door.

They deserve what they get. Tesco flog their branded goods as the price comparison most of the rest of their gear is the same price as dunnes and superquinn.

Lidl and Aldi appear to be the only ones trying to gain market share by reducing their prices, but even their prices are inflated.

the only one without a presence up north is superquinn so i asusme they are the only losers here as dunnes and tesco pick up the northern shoppers , they dont give a toss which side of the border is making the money once their consolidated profit figure is within expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Its the most blatent cartel behaviour without being prearranged or is it ;) The sad fact is probably not, but they're happy to play the game cause we lose and they win. SuperQuinn should have a sign up saying "Price Matched....and Beaten!" Thats good business!
    Prices are generally set by the suppliers. Its up to the supermarkets to haggle a better deal out of them. As well as that they literally go into each others stores, jot down the prices and if something is cheaper they'll drop the price to match it and get onto the suppliers and demand the same deal. If something is too expensive its up to the supermarkets to demand their suppliers drop the price, but this will be driven by sales. If sales go down then they have a case, if not then there's no argument. If the price is wrong then how come the stuff is selling? This is why its so important for consumers to shop around and complain about prices.

Where people are going wrong and where the government and the consumers association are going wrong is that they are blaming the supermarkets. The problem is the suppliers. People complain that they cannot shop around when the supermarkets have the same prices, what you should be doing is shop around based on brands. Find a different brand that is cheaper. That way it hits the suppliers figures and the supermarkets have an argument to bring to them to drop their prices. Sales in your product have dropped while the cheaper product has soared, so you're going to have to drop your prices to meet consumer demand.

not a chance both parties are as guilty

suppermarkets get huge volume discounts from suppliers , LTA's and WDA's

They also get rebates on advertising and promotions.

The supermarkets margins are so high as are the suppliers / wholesalers they can weather the slowing demand for the moment.

But when targets arn't met then you will see price drops.

not a chance both parties are as guilty
    Well ok thats true. Reading back there I sound like I'm defending supermarkets, but the reality is they too are making monstrous profits.

I still believe the solution is always go for the cheaper brand. And I don't just mean supermarket own brands. There is enough variety out there to buy cheaper, quality products (especially in wine). you'd be amazed the amount of people who do not even look at the price of items before they put it in their trolley. They only look at the total price at the checkouts.

Take a look at the back of a packet of a branded pie for example. You'l be shocked at the amount of meat in it.

The same with branded detergients, need to use more to get the same affect.

90% of the time branded products are more cheaper sources so they can sell them cheaper. You pay for what you get. Wheras up north you can pay cheaply for good product

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

I think its far too complicated to ask the consumer to consider the suppliers, our contact is with the supermarkets and thats where we should aim. I'd have to disagree with changing brands therefore, if I want to buy brand X I should be able to find it cheaper somewhere, if enough people find it cheaper there then the more expensive supermarkets notice the dropping sales, and must drop prices to entice shoppers back. It is then up to that supermarket to worry about its lower margin and what the supplier can do for him, thats not my concern as a shopper. Direct action is whats needed, but how does the consumer do that if ALL supermarkets sell brand X for the same price...thats a cosy cartel no matter how you look at it.

Well firstly, and sorry if this offends anyone, but the North is a different country. Never mind excise, shipping (the north is subsidised by the rest of the UK so we do pay more on transport costs), VAT, wages etc. If after all that things are still cheaper in the North it boils down to the fact that nobody in the north will pay that price for the product. Now why is that? Because they can get the same product, at the same quality, for much cheaper by going for an alternative brand and even an alternative supermarket. Granted the North has more competition which helps. But we do have enough variety here in the Republic to stuff the more expensive products and go for the cheaper ones without sacrificing quality. Even if the savings are just a few cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭richardn

Blue_Wolf wrote: »

Been through two recessions before and it's part of the natural economic cycle.

If people weren't shopping in the North the Supermarkets would have no need to reduce their prices like they are trying to do so I'd say by shopping in the North I've helped your shopping bill come down :P

I think its far too complicated to ask the consumer to consider the suppliers
    You don't need to consider the suppliers, just the price. One example that sticks in my mind is there are 2 brands of tinned coconut milk, usually stocked side by side. There is absolutely no noticeable difference in the 2, yet one is 20 cent cheaper than the other. I am always amazed that this price difference has not changed. Not only that, I am always amazed that the more expensive product is still on the shelves. Why have they not dropped their prices? Why have they not gone out of business? Its because people are buying the more expensive product. They're not even looking at the tin or the price, they just pick one up and put it in their trolley. It probably has a more attractive packaging. This is the mentality that needs to change.

By all means shop around by going to different supermarkets. You may get things cheaper but you'll still see product A is more expensive than product B no matter where you go.

most shop workers down here are paid aprrox the minimum wages, that means jack to the price of the products

Vat is 6.5% dearer

currency difference is 6% at the moment

corp tax rates in ireland are 17.5% cheaper

differences in prices 30%

someone tell me where this adds up

RIP OFF, let them all go under and then you will see new entries into the market

come on down ASDA for example

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭zenit

When you refer to a base price what do you mean? im selling wine for €6.99 top stuff as well[/quote]

Errazuriz, Mcguigan, Hardy VR, mainly the New world stuff. Prices for which start 10.49-10.53 in both stores.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

most shop workers down here are paid aprrox the minimum wages, that means jack to the price of the products

Vat is 6.5% dearer

currency difference is 6% at the moment

corp tax rates in ireland are 17.5% cheaper

differences in prices 30%

someone tell me where this adds up

RIP OFF, let them all go under and then you will see new entries into the market

come on down ASDA for example

Minimum wage UK = £5.83 (€6.40)
    Minimum wage Ireland = €8.75

Duty on bottle of wine UK = £1.46 (€1.60)
    Duty on bottle of wine Ireland = €2.46

VAT UK - 15%
    VAT Ireland - 21.5%

Price example

Torres Sangre De Toro - UK Price £6.95 (€7.70) or £4.58 (€5.10) net of VAT & Duty.

Irish price - €9.95 or €5.72 net of vat & duty. Not a huge difference considering Rents, rates & wgaes are considerably higher in Ireland than UK.

What I have noticed is that UK prices for european wine have increased by about 15 - 20% recently due to sterling difference to euro.
    And the UK exchequer warned last October that the old reliables will be hit hard to make up for lost vat receipts - so the price difference will not be as big after the UK budget in march.

Advertisement