Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

physiotherapy courses

Options
  • 26-01-2009 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

i am living in cork and i am in full time employment.I work from 8 30 am to 5 pm but i would like to go to college to become a phsiotherapist or learn about sports injuries.Evening courses or weekends is what i will be looking for.If anybody has any information that would help me please let me know as i have looked at some courses and they are not exactly what i am looking for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

To become a Physiotherapist you need to do a 4 year degree course here in Ireland (full time). There are part time courses available in England.

Physical Therapy is another area although something I don't know much about. There's a course run in Cork http://www.ntc.ie/nmtsm.php

What is it that you want to go on to work as? Physiotherapists work in a lot of different areas, sports injuries is only a small area. I don't think a one year course would give you enough training in any area if that's what you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

eon58 wrote: »
    i am living in cork and i am in full time employment.I work from 8 30 am to 5 pm but i would like to go to college to become a phsiotherapist or learn about sports injuries.Evening courses or weekends is what i will be looking for.If anybody has any information that would help me please let me know as i have looked at some courses and they are not exactly what i am looking for.

Im in college with the institute of Physical Therapy in Milltown Dublin, but they have a courses in Limerick also, its 3 years part time. Be warned its tough going and you need to put a lot of work in and quite expensive.
    All the info you need, scheduling, expense, locations can be found on the site.

www.iptas.ie

Physio therapy has more avenues open to it in terms of jobs. Most physical therapists go on to open their own practice. Generally.

Let me know if you need more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The_Devil

Im in college with the institute of Physical Therapy in Milltown Dublin, but they have a courses in Limerick also, its 3 years part time. Be warned its tough going and you need to put a lot of work in and quite expensive.
    All the info you need, scheduling, expense, locations can be found on the site.

www.iptas.ie

Physio therapy has more avenues open to it in terms of jobs. Most physical therapists go on to open their own practice. Generally.

Let me know if you need more info.

Hi Bob, Im thinking of enrolling in this course this year, I have read the prospectus and was hoping to find someone who has done the course or is doing it...ie: YOU!

I tried to get into physiotherapy previously but did not get enough points in the leaving cert and hence persued another career. I have read the website and it does not seem to diferrenciate in any detail the diference between a physical thereapist and a physio therapist. I have the forms filled out and ready to send but would like to hear how your finding it. is it everything you thought it would be? what was your reason for doing it? where can you expect do be once you graduate?

ultimately, is this the right way for me to go?

Thanks for your time!

The_Devil wrote: »
    Hi Bob, Im thinking of enrolling in this course this year, I have read the prospectus and was hoping to find someone who has done the course or is doing it...ie: YOU!

I tried to get into physiotherapy previously but did not get enough points in the leaving cert and hence perused another career. I have read the website and it does not seem to differentiate in any detail the difference between a physical therapist and a physio therapist. I have the forms filled out and ready to send but would like to hear how your finding it. is it everything you thought it would be? what was your reason for doing it? where can you expect do be once you graduate?

ultimately, is this the right way for me to go?

Thanks for your time!

Well, physiotherapy is more widely recognized from what I see, and is mainly aimed at school leavers who can go direct into full time college, where as physical therapy is generally a more holistic approach. I wouldn't go as far to say one is better than the other as i couldn't really comment on what physio is like, but the majority of it seems to have the same techniques as I've used this year.

In terms of how I’m finding the course. Its difficult and i came from a massage background, you have to get thru a lot in a short space of time and there is constant assessment. That said, its highly enjoyable.
    Be warned though if you serious about this line of work, this course will take over your life, I see my college mates more than i do my friends. (though i have made some great friends at the college) Adequate time management is the key, im only learning this now.
    The first year of college (just finished my last practical exam today!) will concentrate mainly on 4 subjects

Musculoskeletal Analysis, Diagnosis, Practice and Technique, Pathophysology, and Rehabilitation.
    Along with Clinic blocks (2) and various sporting events, such as the women’s mini marathon tomorrow.

So from that you can see there is a lot in the course. So my point would be that i went into the course thinking it'd be fine, and i could totally keep my old habits....not the case at all
    I got into the course from being a bike mountain biker, and wanting to treat injuries, most people get into it from doing one sport or another.
    Before i did the course, i did a holistic massage course, to see if i was into treating people,.. i really enjoyed it and a year later here I am.
    In terms of what to do once I graduate, it seems a long way away. Hopefully I’ll go on to further studies, but Im ultimately hoping after my 3 year to open my own practice, perhaps with a couple of guys in the college with me. we’ll see!
    I couldn't tell you if its the right thing for you man, but if your interested in helping people have a genuine interest in treating injuries then defo its a great thing to make a career out of

If you want to see how we do our thing come into Stephens Green tomorrow, well be working at the Marathon doing pre and post massage.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The_Devil

thanks for the reply, unfortunately im just after reading it, I would have gone in to the run yesterday to check it out. How was it?

my main aim would be to establish myself in treating sports injuries and possibly working with various amateur clubs etc in the treatment of players/ members etc.

I know that this is probably the one thing that everyone says when they are looking at this course but like you said, all physiotherapy courses are geared towards school leavers who have 500+ points, and to be honest i just couldnt afford to go back to college full time.

I come from a sporting background myself but unfortunately with 3 knee operations at the age of 24 it seems my career is over lol..however this is what interests me. I have been to numerous physio's and have chatted about persuing a career in the field but the main stumbling block was the 4 year full time course.

im just afraid of ending up with a degree in massage therapy! lol.. but I am considering booking a treatment in the priory land checking out the place and havin a chat with a few people and their views on it.

Thanks for the info!

• Advertisement

The_Devil wrote: »

im just afraid of ending up with a degree in massage therapy! lol.. but I am considering booking a treatment in the priory land checking out the place and havin a chat with a few people and their views on it.

Thanks for the info!

Yep..thats what i was worried about too, if you were planning to travel and set up in another country, i think the degree here is the equilvant of a massage therapy degree in the US only. Everywhere else ..its recognized that could change though.
    Ultimately, you'll get out of it what you put into it. From what your looking to do in terms of employment..I'd say this course would be ideal for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭acidburn51737

Well, physiotherapy is more widely recognized from what I see, and is mainly aimed at school leavers who can go direct into full time college, where as physical therapy is generally a more holistic approach. I wouldn't go as far to say one is better than the other as i couldn't really comment on what physio is like, but the majority of it seems to have the same techniques as I've used this year.

In terms of how I’m finding the course. Its difficult and i came from a massage background, you have to get thru a lot in a short space of time and there is constant assessment. That said, its highly enjoyable.
    Be warned though if you serious about this line of work, this course will take over your life, I see my college mates more than i do my friends. (though i have made some great friends at the college) Adequate time management is the key, im only learning this now.
    The first year of college (just finished my last practical exam today!) will concentrate mainly on 4 subjects

Musculoskeletal Analysis, Diagnosis, Practice and Technique, Pathophysology, and Rehabilitation.
    Along with Clinic blocks (2) and various sporting events, such as the women’s mini marathon tomorrow.

So from that you can see there is a lot in the course. So my point would be that i went into the course thinking it'd be fine, and i could totally keep my old habits....not the case at all
    I got into the course from being a bike mountain biker, and wanting to treat injuries, most people get into it from doing one sport or another.
    Before i did the course, i did a holistic massage course, to see if i was into treating people,.. i really enjoyed it and a year later here I am.
    In terms of what to do once I graduate, it seems a long way away. Hopefully I’ll go on to further studies, but Im ultimately hoping after my 3 year to open my own practice, perhaps with a couple of guys in the college with me. we’ll see!
    I couldn't tell you if its the right thing for you man, but if your interested in helping people have a genuine interest in treating injuries then defo its a great thing to make a career out of

If you want to see how we do our thing come into Stephens Green tomorrow, well be working at the Marathon doing pre and post massage.

i'm a graduate of physiotherapy but in another country & it's really hard to get a license at the moment... can u pls help me with any information about getting some courses inorder for me get licensed here? tnx a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

i'm a graduate of physiotherapy but in another country & it's really hard to get a license at the moment... can u pls help me with any information about getting some courses inorder for me get licensed here? tnx a lot :)

I'm assuming you have been in touch with the Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapists regarding having them assess your current qualification. If not then try here: http://www.iscp.ie/content/view/174/246/

I think there are some post grad courses which could help in the UCD school. Check the website www.ucd.ie and give them a call to see if you would be accepted on one of them. This might help you with licencing.

Good luck with it.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 selena27

Would u know anything about the physical therapy course in Naional Training Centre(ntc.ie)?Any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

selena27 wrote: »
    Would u know anything about the physical therapy course in Naional Training Centre(ntc.ie)?Any good?

I'm going to drag this thread up again..

Do the courses in ntc generally lead to a job or is doing a degree the better option??

Any Info would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elkido9

What about sports therapy then. there is a place in Annacotty in limerick that do a 3 yr part time course in massage and sports therapy. Seems very long, drawn out and expensive though. Anyone have any info on this? Also, a gym instructor course in the INTL Raheen in limerick. Anyone find this useful or any comments on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

elkido9 wrote: »
    What about sports therapy then. there is a place in Annacotty in limerick that do a 3 yr part time course in massage and sports therapy. Seems very long, drawn out and expensive though. Anyone have any info on this? Also, a gym instructor course in the INTL Raheen in limerick. Anyone find this useful or any comments on it ?

I was actually looking at that course myself, I've been on the recieving end of therapy after a foot operation and it seemed like an interesting field to get into, says the course starts in September so have probably missed the application for it

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Be warned that employment prospects in ireland dont look good for physios as there are way too many graduating(even at the boom time this was a complaint),so employment may be difficult to get in ireland.I think id really like to be one and luckily got the points for it.It seems like such a rewarding career but i think med is the safer option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Be warned that employment prospects in ireland dont look good for physios as there are way too many graduating(even at the boom time this was a complaint),so employment may be difficult to get in ireland.I think id really like to be one and luckily got the points for it.It seems like such a rewarding career but i think med is the safer option

Job prospects are very poor in Ireland for physios at the minute and have been for about 5 years. It's extremely competitive and you can just be unlucky no matter how good you are.

In terms of physical therapy and other similar courses there does seem to be some work but rates charged are considerably less than what chartered physiotherapists are charging, think maybe 50%! There is also a huge drive on at the minute to distinguish between chartered physiotherapists and other physical therapy professions as many members of the public don't realise there is a difference.

I wouldn't be so sure that medicine is a safer option though, the number of med places has increased significantly as well and at currently there has been no proportionate increase in jobs available. Times are tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

chocgirl wrote: »
    Job prospects are very poor in Ireland for physios at the minute and have been for about 5 years. It's extremely competitive and you can just be unlucky no matter how good you are.

In terms of physical therapy and other similar courses there does seem to be some work but rates charged are considerably less than what chartered physiotherapists are charging, think maybe 50%! There is also a huge drive on at the minute to distinguish between chartered physiotherapists and other physical therapy professions as many members of the public don't realise there is a difference.

I wouldn't be so sure that medicine is a safer option though, the number of med places has increased significantly as well and at currently there has been no proportionate increase in jobs available. Times are tough!

Yes,its very tough for physios right now,along with pharmacists and possibly vets and doctors in the future.Medicine would probably be the best of a bad bunch,though given that they can do their post grad training in the US after usmles,but i understand what u are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭corkma

very interesting thread. I've been looking at these courses and it's very hard to figure out whats what. any opinions on the ntc course or ITEC sports massage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 thedan22

i did not achieve the required points in the leaving cert so i done 4 yrs in NUIG studying general science. I have now applied for many universities in the UK for an MSc in Physiotherapy (2 yrs). 15 of these universities are recognised by the irish physios board. hope this helps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jaxgavo

Hi,

I'm 25 years old and have just graduated from a business course in DIT. I was wondering if it is possible to get into a recognised course for physiotherapy without a background or leaving cert points that are usually required for entry to such courses. I understand that there are no prerequisites needed for converting to physical therapy. Is it the same for physiotherapy? I am also aware that the workload would be quite heavy, but could anyone put this into perspective (ie. hours of lectures + hours of study required). Thanks for any answers

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

jaxgavo wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm 25 years old and have just graduated from a business course in DIT. I was wondering if it is possible to get into a recognised course for physiotherapy without a background or leaving cert points that are usually required for entry to such courses. I understand that there are no prerequisites needed for converting to physical therapy. Is it the same for physiotherapy? I am also aware that the workload would be quite heavy, but could anyone put this into perspective (ie. hours of lectures + hours of study required). Thanks for any answers

hello :D

Was your course in DIT degree course? as this would affect your fees for a further degree course. Also, if you did well on it, this could positively impact your application for a further course

You're old enough to qualify as a mature student, so you could apply and get on to a 4 year physiotherapy degree course as a mature student here in Ireland. Each college treats mature students differently. But there would be a "personal statement" etc and then an interview. They may look at your LC results, [i.,e. to see if you got an A in biology or another science] but they're really not relevant. You more have to show that you're passionate about the course, you can do the work, and you can pay for it!

Yes the workload is incredibly heavy in the full time course. It's full time classes pretty much, plus, reading, essays and group work on top of that. It is a full time job!! And physiology is very hard! [I'm doing occupational therapy, and we just have a little physiology, but my god it was painful!] That said, your interest and passion for the ultimate end goal is one of the advantages of mature study, and can help to get you through :)

And as mentioned above, there are 2 year accelerated courses in the UK, for graduates, but you may need a science background for these. Currently we do not have one in Ireland, [altho there is accelerated Speech and occupational therapy in UL]

Now for physical therapy. I've been watching this thread, and have not seen the differences between physical therapy and physiotherapy outlined clearly! Around the world, physiotherapy and physical therapy are the same thing. In Ireland, of course, they are 2 separate entities! Obviously this can be confusing, Physiotherapists are chartered degree holders, and physical therapists are not. As above in this thread, they can do a 3 year part time course. Physical therapy appears [and correct me if i'm wrong] to be more sports injury/massage and to be more holistic rather than medical. Physiotherapists may work in hospitals or under the auspices of the HSE but physical therapists would not. I believe the insurance requirements would be very different too for setting up on your own.

As for working with sports teams, maybe some of the people doing physical therapy could help out with whether this is possible or not? I personally would imagine that since physical therapists are not chartered, sports teams would go for physiotherapists over physical therapists.

what is physical therapy? http://www.iptas.ie/course/index.html

"controversy" http://www.wcpt.org/node/30236

Not trying to say one is better than other, but i think there;s a much bigger difference than people might think, and the P.T. course is pricey enough, so investigate thoroughly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jaxgavo

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply! Yes my course in DIT was a degree course and I got a 2.1. In the LC I only did ordianry level biology because it never crossed my mind that I might need it in the future. You mentioned that you need to be able to pay for it. What sort of money are we talkin about there? I am too late to apply for any of the course for the 10/11 year, so I am going to try and get some practical work in a hospital or clinic working alongside a physio or an OT to get a feel for how much I am sure I want to do this. I also feel like if I don't get into a physiotherapy course I may go for the physical therapy just to try and get my foot in the door. Thanks again for all the info!

• Advertisement

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply! Yes my course in DIT was a degree course and I got a 2.1. In the LC I only did ordianry level biology because it never crossed my mind that I might need it in the future. You mentioned that you need to be able to pay for it. What sort of money are we talkin about there? I am too late to apply for any of the course for the 10/11 year, so I am going to try and get some practical work in a hospital or clinic working alongside a physio or an OT to get a feel for how much I am sure I want to do this. I also feel like if I don't get into a physiotherapy course I may go for the physical therapy just to try and get my foot in the door. Thanks again for all the info!

The fact, that you've just finished your course and that you did well, will really stand to you in an interview/application.

really good idea to do some shadowing around a hospital or clinic, if you just ring up say, the physio department in a big hospital or even at one of the rehabs, they will be able to advise you. There's also such a job as a physio assistant and an OT assistant :D

Cost wise, well, i'm doing OT in Trinners, and the fees are ~6,800 +1,500 registration fee, + 70 gym fee. So about €8,400 per year, for 4 years. Physio in Trinity is roughly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hi,

I'm about to go into 2nd Physio. I didn't have the required points and came from an art background. I got rejected the first year I applied but went and completed an Access to Science course in UCD and also worked as a care assistant and got shadow experience in different hospitals.

First year was pretty tough, especially if you haven't been in full time study for a while. Physiology takes up a lot of your time study-wise. It took a while for me to get my head around it. Its the subject that most students have difficultly with and a lot fail it.

We didn't have too many hours, maybe 16hours a week. Started early, 9am but finished early, 4pm or earlier.

If you have any other questions, send me a PM.

Larianne wrote: »
    I'm about to go into 2nd Physio. I didn't have the required points and came from an art background. I got rejected the first year I applied but went and completed an Access to Science course in UCD and also worked as a care assistant and got shadow experience in different hospitals.
    yeh, i think this kind of stuff really fleshes out applications for the health sciences, shows you're committed,and willing to put time in.
    First year was pretty tough, especially if you haven't been in full time study for a while. Physiology takes up a lot of your time study-wise. It took a while for me to get my head around it. Its the subject that most students have difficultly with and a lot fail it.

yeh, physiology :eek: many OTs fail it too!
    We didn't have too many hours, maybe 16hours a week. Started early, 9am but finished early, 4pm or earlier.
    aw less than OT. Def go for physio! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Anthony16 wrote: »

No this wasn't a complaint. The opposite is true. Te Bacon report in 2001 recommended a huge increase in the number of therapist because patients/clients do not, by far, get enough physiotherapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 xtina85

What is the difference between neuromuscular physical therapy and physical therapy and physio?? I am looking into this career with the hope of setting up a business in Australia or America. I have been researching the national training centre's neuromuscular physical therapy course and it says its internationally rec. Can any past student verify if you can use this abroad?
    I dont have the option to go back full time to Physio as I couldnt afford to and have a child. Can anyone recommend the best option for me? I hold a primary degree in Exercise and Health Science and I am situated in the south east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 endacolls

Hi,

Recently i came across this thread and found it very interesting, as i am in a similar situtation as a lot of peopole writing into it. I am 25, have an hounors degree in Engineering, but after a few yrs work i just know its not for me. I love the idea of pursuing a career in Physiotherapy and am even toying with the idea of Physical Therapy. Went to the P.T clinic in limerick last night to learn a bit about the course and found it brilliant, i got treatment for an injury from 1 of their students. The girl carrying out the treatment was in 3rd yr of the course, and she had 2 other students in the room observing, 1 in 1st yr and the other in 2nd yr. She really knew what she was doing and i learned alot of things about my injury that i didnt when working with physios so obviously they are learning alot. But most importantly when speaking with them they are really enjoying the course and find it really interesting, however they did say that you have to fully dedicate yourself to it as its fairly full on. They also could not speak highly enough of their tutors and having met them id have to agree. Id definitely reccomend anyone interested in doing the course to visit one of there clinics.
    I am still very undecided between Physio / P.T but am currently looking into Physio courses in the U.K and am wondering if anyone has any experience of a Physio course in the U.K? what its like? is it hard to get into etc.? Thanks a million for any replys. Hope my post is some help.

just remember for the folks interested in physical therapy that there is different licensing and insurance than for physiotherapists.

i'm sure some of the physios can give you more information on the actual courses. It's brilliant that ye're looking at retraining, i'm just about finishing up my 4 years, and it was SO the right decision to go back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 endacolls

Thanks for the reply its given me great encouragement as im not sure if im makin the right decision looking into a 4 year course, seems so daunting. Thanks again.

well, i tell pretty much everyone i meet to consider it!

It's been beneficial to me in so many ways [apart from fiscally!!!] but i'll be coming out at age 30 with a brilliant professional training and knowing i'm going to be able to do work i love. so pretty much win-win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

endacolls wrote: »
    I am still very undecided between Physio / P.T but am currently looking into Physio courses in the U.K and am wondering if anyone has any experience of a Physio course in the U.K? what its like? is it hard to get into etc.? Thanks a million for any replys. Hope my post is some help.

Hi Enda,

I decided to go to Brunel University in London as a mature student and take up the part time Physiotherapy course in 2007. I loved Brunel and the tutors there are extremely helpful and really spoon feed you. They have very tough exams but they give you tons of support and every opportunity to pass.
    I decided half way through my 2nd year to return to Ireland for personal reasons.
    I came back to Ireland in January 2009 and made an application to UCD who accepted me into 2nd year on there Physiotherapy degree the following September.

I didnt find it very difficult to get into Brunel but I had a HND in another another course.

I also didnt have to pay any fees in the UK as health courses are funded by the NHS.
    In UCD I have to pay the registration fee of 1650. If you already have a degree you will have to pay in the region of 8000 as someone else pointed out.
    Living in London was expensive, but a lot of fun. I worked as a care assistant to help finance my living expenses.

With regards to the difference between physio and PT as far as I am aware they are similar in the sports side of things. However I dont think PT's study respiratory care, neurology (as in stroke rehab etc) and care of the elderly.

A physio in a hospital can be working in ICU suctioning patients, or working on an individual with traumatic brain injury in the NRH. The work is more varied in that regard.

Sorry for the long post,

I hope this helps

Advertisement